• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does then I'm fine with him getting the cash for them. I'm so eager to see the full structure of the 75 million not based on performance.

Seattle always seems a little slow at releasing the details of their contracts.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an even better contract than I imagined. Yes - if he hits EVERYTHING it's a pretty big cap hit for 2024... but there is NO hit for 2023... That's even better. And I think if Geno can duplicate what he did (long shot but hey...) then fine, that's totally okay.

This allows us a lot of flex this year. Still can't give it an A or A+ but this solidifies a B+ or A-.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an even better contract than I imagined. Yes - if he hits EVERYTHING it's a pretty big cap hit for 2024... but there is NO hit for 2023... That's even better. And I think if Geno can duplicate what he did (long shot but hey...) then fine, that's totally okay.

This allows us a lot of flex this year. Still can't give it an A or A+ but this solidifies a B+ or A-.
episode 12 nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the incentives mean the Hawks are almost 100% they wont pay them. He wont ever have another season like last year.

I think they only incentive that isn't at least fairly likely is the 69. whatever completion percentage which seems like a weird number.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they only incentive that isn't at least fairly likely is the 69. whatever completion percentage which seems like a weird number.
Good point... Which means he'll basically have to break or tie the Seahawks completion record each year...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what Mike Salk said this morning is true regarding Geno's contract, it may be pretty easy for the team to get out of it after 1 year. Given that (again, if true), I can better understand the potential of still taking a QB at 1.5 if they love the player. I would still rather see a DT, a DE, or even a trade down, but if Geno's contact is only for 1 year in practicality, a QB at 1.5 makes more sense than it did a week ago. It wouldn't really support a "win now" mindset or address the team's most glaring weakness, but it makes way more sense than if the team was clearly married to Geno for 3 more years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing this contract does, IMO, is support a message or impression that the team is open to a QB with that top pick, which in turn should promote its value in a potential trade-down.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If what Mike Salk said this morning is true regarding Geno's contract, it may be pretty easy for the team to get out of it after 1 year. Given that (again, if true), I can better understand the potential of still taking a QB at 1.5 if they love the player. I would still rather see a DT, a DE, or even a trade down, but if Geno's contact is only for 1 year in practicality, a QB at 1.5 makes more sense than it did a week ago. It wouldn't really support a "win now" mindset or address the team's most glaring weakness, but it makes way more sense than if the team was clearly married to Geno for 3 more years.

I think it is possible that they take a QB with 1.5 but I think they only do it if they have a high degree of confidence that the QB could an elite QB, for whatever reason. If they think that, then I'm fine with them taking a QB.

But if you listened to Pete's recent interview, he sure sounds like he plans to go for a SB run this year.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more details I've seen of this contract the more I like it.

I still don't think there's any chance Seattle wins a Super Bowl with Geno, but this is exactly the type of contract you want to give a dude like Geno.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more details I've seen of this contract the more I like it.

I still don't think there's any chance Seattle wins a Super Bowl with Geno, but this is exactly the type of contract you want to give a dude like Geno.

In truth, there isn't much chance of the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl next year regardless of which QB we went with. The same is true of probably 20-25 teams.

Truth be told the only real chance we have is for the team to hit a home run with their draft again AND have our young guys pretty much all step dramatically.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest details on Geno's contract only 27.3 is guaranteed at the signing. From Spotrac:

• $27.3M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2023 salary)
  • $12M of 2024 fully guarnatees at the start of the 2024 waiver period (injury guaranteed at signing)
  • Annual Escalator based on exceeding 2022 stats
    $2M each for
    Passing Yards (4,282)
    Passing Touchdowns (30)
    Completion % (69.8)
    Passer Rating (100.9)
    Wins (9)
  • Additional $5M escalator if all 5 categories are exceeded in a season
Still no breakdown of how the 75 million is structured, but seems like the Seahawks could cut Geno after year one if they want to, similar to how the Raiders released Carr after the first year of his contract. The more I hear about the contract the better I like it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing this contract does, IMO, is support a message or impression that the team is open to a QB with that top pick, which in turn should promote its value in a potential trade-down.
I'm getting that vibe as well... Seems like they're setting themselves up for a possible Richardson draft pick... If Anderson/Carter are still there w/ that pick I'd be very disappointed...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting that vibe as well... Seems like they're setting themselves up for a possible Richardson draft pick... If Anderson/Carter are still there w/ that pick I'd be very disappointed...
I was looking at an article speculating on the Seahawks moving up in the draft, they do have the draft capital to try and do that. However, given the number of holes in the roster seems unlikely to me. Think they let the draft come to them. I'd be very surprised if Anderson is still available when the Seahawks pick at the #5 spot, but in theory, it is possible, just unlikely. Young and Shroud are the most NFL-ready and surely go ahead of the #5 pick. I'd be excited if Shroud fell to the #5 spot. Carter has too many red flags to risk for the Seahawks to spend the #5 pick. I'm sure someone will disagree with that but IMO the fact he's been out of shape his whole college career is why he only has half the snaps that Anderson has, He's had earlier gotten stopped for speeding at over 90 MPH and then the drag race. Carter's stats compared to other notable college DTs absolutely pale in comparison but his tape seems to impress some folks. I feel Wilson would be much more solid to draft, but he isn't considered a game changer.

At #5 I feel the choice will be Wilson, Carter, Levy, Richardson, or move back in the draft. Carter in my eye is the least desirable of those choices.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at an article speculating on the Seahawks moving up in the draft, they do have the draft capital to try and do that. However, given the number of holes in the roster seems unlikely to me. Think they let the draft come to them. I'd be very surprised if Anderson is still available when the Seahawks pick at the #5 spot, but in theory, it is possible, just unlikely. Young and Stroud are the most NFL-ready and surely go ahead of the #5 pick. I'd be excited if Stroud fell to the #5 spot. Carter has too many red flags to risk for the Seahawks to spend the #5 pick. I'm sure someone will disagree with that but IMO the fact he's been out of shape his whole college career is why he only has half the snaps that Anderson has, He's had earlier gotten stopped for speeding at over 90 MPH and then the drag race. Carter's stats compared to other notable college DTs absolutely pale in comparison but his tape seems to impress some folks. I feel Wilson would be much more solid to draft, but he isn't considered a game changer.

At #5 I feel the choice will be Wilson, Carter, Levy, Richardson, or move back in the draft. Carter in my eye is the least desirable of those choices.

Just curious but is there a reason why you are saying Shroud instead of Stroud?

Last edited by a moderator:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1678488380176.png
Unless Geno blows everyone away, this is basically a 2 year contract.

$10M cap hit is much lower than I expected.

They may be looking to make a splash in FA.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Geno blows everyone away, this is basically a 2 year contract.
In theory, they could cut Geno after year one and save 13 million in cap space, but eating 17 million would be hard to swallow.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only skimmed through some of the posts before posting this so forgive me if this has been addressed, but does anyone know if Geno's contract has a void year?

From what's available on OTC, the contract actually looks really team friendly.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In theory, they could cut Geno after year one and save 13 million in cap space, but eating 17 million would be hard to swallow.
I don't know if OTC's numbers are correct, but per their breakdown of the contract, we could cut him after this year (post June 1st) and this would be the cap implication:

2024: $8.7m dead cap, $22.5m cap savings
2025: $8.7m dead cap, $25m cap savings

Honestly this contract looks pretty good to me. If he replicates his 2022 performance, he'll be paid (IMO) less than he's worth with today's QB market. If he doesn't, we can get out of the contract without hamstringing ourselves too badly.

I know many didn't want to pay him this type of money, but IMO this is the best possible scenario for the Seahawks.