• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could get really interesting for the Hawks if they are sitting at 5 with Carter still on the board and Will Levis also still on the board with an itchy Raiders/Panthers team calling.

With Lions at 6 and just drafting Hutchinson, I wonder if they would skip on Carter if he was there at 6. If we could trade down to 7, snag Carter and get another 2nd rounder... oh yah!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Jones 4 years 195 million.

Yowza!!!

JESUS! Sorry but Geno's deal is looking more and more like a bargain. Good lord. I'm reading 4 years $160M though?

Edit: Ah, another deal that includes up to $35M in incentives. So $195 is the MAX value, but not guaranteed.

Also - Ravens tag Lamar!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again remember that Jones' contract is really $160M over 4 years with $35M of incentives... but that's over 2x of Geno's... $30M for Geno vs. $35M for Jones in incentives... really going to be interesting to get the incentive details for Geno's contract...

Daniel has a lot of upside but even at $40M seems a bit extreme.

Pending the incentive structure, I already bumped Geno's signing from a C- to a B... I can't give that a bargain A grade since it would've needed to be $20M or less.... but the contract is FAR better than what was initially advertised. Carr and Jones' contracts are ridiculous.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again remember that Jones' contract is really $160M over 4 years with $35M of incentives... but that's over 2x of Geno's... $30M for Geno vs. $35M for Jones in incentives... really going to be interesting to get the incentive details for Geno's contract...

Daniel has a lot of upside but even at $40M seems a bit extreme.

Pending the incentive structure, I already bumped Geno's signing from a C- to a B... I can't give that a bargain A grade since it would've needed to be $20M or less.... but the contract is FAR better than what was initially advertised. Carr and Jones' contracts are ridiculous.
1678237437509.png

When you look at the stats that DJ has put up over his 4 year career so far, I see Geno's signing a great deal, borderline bargain when you consider todays QB market heading into 2023...

Jones only threw 15 TD's last year... Never threw for more than 2 in a game last season... In his last 3 seasons, he's only thrown 37 TD's in 41 games...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 322757

When you look at the stats that DJ has put up over his 4 year career so far, I see Geno's signing a great deal, borderline bargain when you consider todays QB market heading into 2023...

Jones only threw 15 TD's last year... Never threw for more than 2 in a game last season... In his last 3 seasons, he's only thrown 37 TD's in 41 games...

Yah the difference is Jones is much younger.. so there's a possibility for better upside and Geno came into an organization with a successful head coach, GM, and Waldron who was also pretty successful.

Still, I'll stick with Daniel Jones being a C- grade... I bumped up Geno to a B until we at least see the incentives. $25M vs. $40M per year before incentives (which Geno has the higher per year amount on ) is hardly in the same ball park. I think Seattle actually did a great job resigning Smith... I can't grade it in the A range or anything high because it's not a complete steal of a signing... but I was pretty content with the $20-25M #... I don't think I said I would auto grade Geno an F if above $20M... perhaps I did which is pretty dumb since A to F based on $1M doesn't make any sense, but this signing makes sense. And if Geno does make the playoffs and wins games (assuming that's part of the structure) than the money is deserved - because our defense isn't going from one of the worst in the league to #1 overnight.

It does allow us flexibility to draft a QB at 5 and sit for a bit, or just go full front 7 defense or a WR/C.

I really don't want Young and I REALLY REALLY don't want Richardson... I really don't get the hype... yes, crazy athlete, interviewed well... the guy couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat, and he's hardly the athlete rusher that Newton or Jackson was. Newton was on pace for nearly 2,000 yards at one point... that's great you're a workout warrior (Metcalf was too) but #5 overall? Give me a break. And then the midget...

Basically Stroud at #3 if we want QB... if not that, then Anderson is an auto pull trigger... if not that then Carter you have to gauge but at this point with all the QB desperate teams and the RIDICULOUS overpay of QBs at the moment (which Seattle did not do) I'd trade out of #5. Let the dumbass Raiders or Panthers (or some other team) give a King's ransom for the #5 overall.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Jones getting a 4 year 150 mill deal is crazy. His 60.8 QBR matches Geno's though and he is much much younger.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well his contract can be front loaded, it's not outlandish to think it's $28M this year prior to incentives... obviously you want to reward him immediately given what was done in 2022. That would still mean the other years are in the 20s and if he has another performance like last year (not holding my breath) then maybe there's extensions, who knows.

Now that $28M - I'm not sure if that includes incentives - it could be $18M + $10M expected incentives ($10M every year). You have to account for the incentives against the cap in the current year, however, if it's not realized you get the money back or bonus the following year. The incentives is also not guaranteed money... so if he absolutely sucks in 2023... that incentive amount comes back and creates a better cap situation for us the following year.. almost to the point you COULD potentially cut him if required - certainly by year 3 if he sucks 2 years in a row.

If it doesn't include that and Geno gets like $38-40M this year and goes deep in the playoffs... then yeah, that's worth it. The problem some of us had with Geno resigning was he's not going to live up to 2022 and kind of finished off lackluster towards the end of the season... BUT, a HUGE amount of that was on the defense not being able to do fuck all...

I said I'd be okay giving Geno around $20M in some earlier posts... $20-25 is meh... I'm fine with it. If he has another year like he did last year - then perfectly fine giving him more.... but that was the concern. Also, if Seattle really wants a QB at 5 they can very easily do it.
Yeah, details are still needed but this isn't sounding like some cap crippling deal. Also sounding like it very well could be executed like a 2 year deal vs 3, certainly with a little dead money if that 3rd year doesn't happen. The SB amount will tell most of the story there. If the '23 payday really is just $28M then that could mean just around as little as $8M or so dead cap for '25, which is peanuts. Really need to see the details.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the ever loving fuck are they thinking?
I don't know how the Daniel Jones deal is structured, but they got him nailed down and also tagged Saquon Barkley so their backfield is intact. They probably look at that as a win. The money might sound high for Jones, but AAV doesn't get into the details and there's probably an opportunity there at year 3 to work an extension and spread things out a little bit. He won't be old by then or anything.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far the hit is 52 million the first year! We dont know enough of whats going on but that is a CRIPPLING contract!

Hawks only had 19 million to work with and there are 9 draft picks and at least 3 more FA to sign. Sorry but the contract makes zero sense on a team needing so many more parts.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he NFL Network reported earlier Tuesday that the $105 million max value of Smith's deal includes $30 million in incentives and that its base value is $75 million over three years, with $40 million fully guaranteed.

This is the only thing I have seen so far. Seems if he sucks he gets just $25 mill per season but if he sucks he isn't WORTH 25 mill per season. They like to say he ( Geno ) is betting on himself but even if he LOSES he makes 25 million! I would like to make that bet please! even if I lose I make more than what I was worth. lmao

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe for a second that the 2023 cap hit is going to be $52M. Just no way. "Guaranteed in the first year" might be talking about a calendar year, as in the 2nd season becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster at the start of the 2024 league year. A "year" and a "season" can be different things. Just no way the FO set this up for a $52M cap hit for this coming season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far the hit is 52 million the first year! We dont know enough of whats going on but that is a CRIPPLING contract!

There is a 0.0% chance that the first year cap hit is 52 million. First year cap hit will be under 20 million

Hawks only had 19 million to work with and there are 9 draft picks and at least 3 more FA to sign. Sorry but the contract makes zero sense on a team needing so many more parts.

Which is why we know that the contract isn't structured that way. His base salary this year is going to be close to league minimum. He will get paid his signing bonus which is prorated over 3 years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, we don't know enough of the details to conclude that it's a crippling contact, so why declare that it is? Let's see what the breakdown is before throwing our hands in the hair. Do you really think the FO set up this deal for a $52M 2023 cap hit? I sure as hell don't.
The Saints were in the hole with the cap on paper and still signed Carr to a massive contract. We heave plenty of cap space and easy to make more. This seems like a lesson not learned every single off-season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28 million the first year, 40 million guaranteed and 30 million in incentives. Sounds like the Hawks can cut bait after the first year and take a 40 million hit minus 28 million so their is a out but not as bad as it could have been with a higher guarantee. 75 million over 3 years with a chance to make 105 million. The incentives will be the kicker on if the contract is good or bad because if they are easy to reach then it's worthless.

Sounds like a very team friendly deal and the "Geno betting on himself" now makes a little more sense. If he plays bad this upcoming season or if the Hawks have a younger/different QB they believe in they can walk away with like a 12 million dead money cap hit. Thats not bad.

Still think $25 million a year is too much for Geno but i can see better now what they are doing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting Geno contract breakdown in detail, but right now on the surface it appears the Seahawks have the flexibility to get out of the contract after a year. They would eat 12 million of the remaining guaranteed money, but save 13 million on the cap in 2024 ( 40 guaranteed minus the 28 million paid out in 2023 =12 million in dead money) ( 2024 salary 25-12 in dead money = 13 million in cap space). So for me that's a relief.

Seahawks have 23 million in cap space ( or 12 million in effective cap space according to OTC) so with Geno 28 million in 2023 and the draft:

1678374554233.png

The Seahawks will need to make some cuts and/ or redo contracts to push money in future years, which can be done easily enough. They could save 11 million just by trading J. Adams post June 1st for example and save 6.5 by cutting Gabe Jackson or cutting Jefferson to save 4,4 million. Course these players would have to be replaced and although the Seahawks have 10 draft picks just replacing players on the 51 man roster is looking daunting. I expect any FAs to come from the dollar store ( isn't that deja vu like?), but if they cut enough players or rework enough contracts in theory they could sign someone not from the dollar store Seahawks FA list:

1678376321669.png

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting Geno contract breakdown in detail, but right now on the surface it appears the Seahawks have the flexibility to get out of the contract after a year. They would eat 12 million of the remaining guaranteed money, but save 13 million on the cap in 2024 ( 40 guaranteed minus the 28 million paid out in 2023 =12 million in dead money) ( 2024 salary 25-12 in dead money = 13 million in cap space). So for me that's a relief.

Seahawks have 23 million in cap space ( or 12 million in effective cap space according to OTC) so with Geno 28 million in 2023 and the draft:

View attachment 322923

The Seahawks will need to make some cuts and/ or redo contracts to push money in future years, which can be done easily enough. They could save 11 million just by trading J. Adams post June 1st for example and save 6.5 by cutting Gabe Jackson or cutting Jefferson to save 4,4 million. Course these players would have to be replaced and although the Seahawks have 10 draft picks just replacing players on the 51 man roster is looking daunting. I expect any FAs to come from the dollar store ( isn't that deja vu like?), but if they cut enough players or rework enough contracts in theory they could sign someone not from the dollar store Seahawks FA list:

View attachment 322928

There is close to a 0% chance we are going to take a 28 million dollar cap this year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 322923

View attachment 322928
Restructuring Tyler Lockett AND J. Adams are possibilities as well..