• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 4: Lions Vs Seahawks

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much Oruwariye's back injury is part of the problem. When a receiver gets him to bit on a fake outside route and then quickly cuts back inside, Oruwariye cannot flip his hips quick enough and is immediately trailing by two to three steps. He did show some of these tendencies early on his career too, but he had somewhat cleaned that area up last year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe that once Cominsky gets healthy enough to return and Paschal gets up to speed to make his debut, this D-Line has the potential to be so much better. However, that may not take place until 3-4 weeks from now.

We all knew this was year 2 of a major rebuild and while the defensive struggles have been greater than I anticipated, I will side with @Thruthefog line of thinking in that there is better playmaking to come from the defense as the season wears on.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are all correct that we are at risk of losing a coordinator, I think we just got the wrong one. Johnson is a stud.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much Oruwariye's back injury is part of the problem. When a receiver gets him to bit on a fake outside route and then quickly cuts back inside, Oruwariye cannot flip his hips quick enough and is immediately trailing by two to three steps. He did show some of these tendencies early on his career too, but he had somewhat cleaned that area up last year.
He might also just be ill-equiped to play man coverage. I wonder if this is a scheme fit issue, I can't think of another reason why he would be so terrible when he was good last year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might also just be ill-equipped to play man coverage. I wonder if this is a scheme fit issue, I can't think of another reason why he would be so terrible when he was good last year.

Maybe the six interceptions deceived all of us and he did miss quite a few open field tackles last year and in prior years. It might be the Trevon Diggs syndrome where Diggs was a splash play highlight with 11 interceptions last year all the while leading the league in penalties and the Only NFL CB to give up more than 1000+ receiving yards to his opponents.

IDK exactly what has changed for A.O. It could be scheme change or it could be miscommunication among players when he's in zone coverage and releasing his receiver to another DB. However, the one area that only he can be blamed for his miscues is his man coverage in the short to intermediate levels and he knows the play call wasn't giving him safety help. He had these issues even last year. Plus, his inability to recognize the ball is coming his way and not turning his head around to locate said ball - just like Will Harris. You don't see this mistake all that often from Jerry Jacobs

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are all correct that we are at risk of losing a coordinator, I think we just got the wrong one. Johnson is a stud.

4 games into a new season does not push him into the top of the list for a HC job if that's what you are implying and it's highly doubtful, he'd make a lateral move to another team as an OC. Now, maybe in a couple of years he could very well earn an opportunity to receive HC interviews. The only conceivable option he'd make a lateral move to be an OC somewhere else is if there was turmoil between him and DC.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the six interceptions deceived all of us and he did miss quite a few open field tackles last year and in prior years. It might be the Trevon Diggs syndrome where Diggs was a splash play highlight with 11 interceptions last year all the while leading the league in penalties and the Only NFL CB to give up more than 1000+ receiving yards to his opponents.

IDK exactly what has changed for A.O. It could be scheme change or it could be miscommunication among players when he's in zone coverage and releasing his receiver to another DB. However, the one area that only he can be blamed for his miscues is his man coverage in the short to intermediate levels and he knows the play call wasn't giving him safety help. He had these issues even last year. Plus, his inability to recognize the ball his coming his way and not turning his head around to locate said ball - just like Will Harris. You don't see this mistake all that often from Jerry Jacobs
Hopefully, Jacobs makes it back quickly. We have 2 competent Dline, 1 competent LB, and 2 competent DBs. Having 3 would be super neat!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better look deeper than this and yet it's the only leak so far as to who is coming in for a tryout at PK.

“We’re bringing in some guys to kick, just to get a look at them,” Campbell said.

As of Monday afternoon, only one of the kickers who have earned a tryout has leaked publicly. Per Aaron Wilson, the Lions are working out Lirim Hajrullahu.

Hajrullahu made four game appearances last year with the Panthers and Cowboys, making four of five kicks along the way with a long of 35. He also had a long CFL career, where he made 47 of 55 field goals (83.3%) with a career-long of 56 yards.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, Jacobs makes it back quickly. We have 2 competent Dline, 1 competent LB, and 2 competent DBs. Having 3 would be super neat!

This is true and yet at the same time all of these injuries to D-Lineman surely haven't helped the back seven either. Both A.O. and Mike Hughes have been on a gas burning stove since the regular season started. There have been far more negative plays by both players this early in the season than there were negative plays by A.O. and AJ Parker at this juncture last year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true and yet at the same time all of these injuries to D-Lineman surely haven't helped the back seven either. Both A.O. and Mike Hughes have been on a gas burning stove since the regular season started. There have been far more negative plays by both players this early in the season than there were negative plays by A.O. and AJ Parker at this juncture last year.
Cominsky was looking like the real deal. Not elite, but a positive rotation piece. Alim continues to be exactly what we need. I am not sure what is going on with Hutch, was the minor injury more than we heard?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cominsky was looking like the real deal. Not elite, but a positive rotation piece. Alim continues to be exactly what we need. I am not sure what is going on with Hutch, was the minor injury more than we heard?

I noticed that Hutch was still gimpy in this last game. There was an article on POD stating that DC/AG may be changing Hutch to more 2-point stance alignment than his constant 3-point stance to date.

I also believe that playing Hutch at or nearly 80% of the defensive snaps is too much for and Edge player and especially considering he's a rookie and add in his upper leg injury seems ill-advised.

Adding Cominsky could possibly make a difference.

We have no idea as to what Paschal adds when he does become available as he has absolutely no NFL reps so far.

Alim is fine and I especially like to see him aligned at 3-tech with Buggs at 0, or 1 or 2-tech on opposite side.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you load up the box with 7 defenders on L.O.S. on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and long and you run a Blitz 0 coverage package, you'll be susceptible to getting burned more often than not.

In each of the last two games the D-Line has failed to seal the edge and collapse the pocket enough to stop opponents getting 1st downs - 1st half of Vikings game was good though - and from that point on it's been picked apart.

You fix the D-line ineffectiveness to stop 3rd down conversions first and foremost and that'll help the back 6 or 7 and then they can work on fixing the latter.

Detroit has also struggled with their starting cornerbacks. Amani Oruwariye is PFF’s lowest graded cornerback in the NFL and nickelback Mike Hughes is not much better, ranking 105 out of 110.

BB-72: The performance by those two players above has been detrimental to the back 7 but so has Anzalone's play. The Lions are giving up too many completions inside the numbers through the first 3 games and then last week we saw a lot of play action outside in short to intermediate levels and that opened up go routes 4-5 times.

No one has really picked up on the fact that even though this defense was bad from the start that it just does not work at all without TW3. When he got booted out of the WAS game, they almost came back and won. When he left the MIN game with injury, they did come back and win. Now that he is completely out, the D did not make a single stop.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodriguez missed out last week being in the Top 15 Rookies, but alas he's back.

3. LB MALCOLM RODRIGUEZ, DETROIT LIONS (83.8)

Rodriguez was once again one of the few Lions defenders to show up on Sunday. He racked up 10 tackles without a miss, including three stops, while allowing only five yards in coverage all day. The performance is even more impressive when you consider his grade doesn’t include his forced fumble in punt coverage.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see more Austin Bryant. He has played decent with the few opportunities that he had.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has really picked up on the fact that even though this defense was bad from the start that it just does not work at all without TW3. When he got booted out of the WAS game, they almost came back and won. When he left the MIN game with injury, they did come back and win. Now that he is completely out, the D did not make a single stop.

TW lll surely wasn't a positive deciding factor in the Philly game, but I do partially agree with you. Also, I thought Kerby Joseph played admirably after the first quarter. Yes, he was responsible for giving up an outside reception and the TD to Dissly, however that was an extremely well ball thrown ball.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better look deeper than this and yet it's the only leak so far as to who is coming in for a tryout at PK.

“We’re bringing in some guys to kick, just to get a look at them,” Campbell said.

As of Monday afternoon, only one of the kickers who have earned a tryout has leaked publicly. Per Aaron Wilson, the Lions are working out Lirim Hajrullahu.

Hajrullahu made four game appearances last year with the Panthers and Cowboys, making four of five kicks along the way with a long of 35. He also had a long CFL career, where he made 47 of 55 field goals (83.3%) with a career-long of 56 yards.
Agreed. Hopefully Seibert never recovers too. I would take Eberle over him no questions asked. It was his first game kicking. Let him get acclimated. At least he has a strong leg.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TW lll surely wasn't a positive deciding factor in the Philly game, but I do partially agree with you. Also, I thought Kerby Joseph played admirably after the first quarter. Yes, he was responsible for giving up an outside reception and the TD to Dissly, however that was an extremely well ball thrown ball.
Yes same with him. His first real game. He needs more reps before being judged.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see more Austin Bryant. He has played decent with the few opportunities that he had.

He's played decently, but he surely hasn't played like he was during pre-season or against his own teammates in training camp - maybe the latter or both is the reason why he looked better - against mostly backup players. I do agree that he should be receiving more snaps to see what he can do.

Game #1
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 69 (90%) — 6 (19%)
Charles Harris: 64 (83%) — 6 (19%)
John Cominsky: 28 (36%) — 6 (19%)
Austin Bryant: 27 (35%) — 6 (19%)

Game #2
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 60 (81%) — 2 (6%)
Charles Harris: 52 (70%) — 2 (6%)
Julian Okwara: 33 (45%) — 2 (6%)
John Cominsky: 31 (42%) — 2 (6%)

Game #3
EDGE:

Charles Harris: 66 (92%) — 6 (21%)
Aidan Hutchinson: 57 (79%) — 6 (21%)
Julian Okwara: 20 (28%)
Austin Bryant: 19 (26%) — 6 (21%)

Game #4
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 57 (81%) — 9 (27%)
Charles Harris: 55 (79%) — 9 (27%)
Julian Okwara: 20 (29%) — 7 (21%)
Austin Bryant: 13 (19%) — 9 (27%)

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Eberle over him no questions asked.

No. Wide left first extra point attempt. Wide right on the other extra point attempt. Barely, and I mean barely snuck in his field goal attempt to the left. The kick-off going out of bounds is inexcusable.

You are strictly pissed that BH/DC kept Seibert and not Patterson and it rolls over to a bias when the next PK comes and isn't all that good either when comparing to Seibert. I get it that you despise Seibert.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played decently, but he surely hasn't played like he was during pre-season or against his own teammates in training camp - maybe the latter or both is the reason why he looked better - against mostly backup players. I do agree that he should be receiving more snaps to see what he can do.

Game #1
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 69 (90%) — 6 (19%)
Charles Harris: 64 (83%) — 6 (19%)
John Cominsky: 28 (36%) — 6 (19%)
Austin Bryant: 27 (35%) — 6 (19%)

Game #2
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 60 (81%) — 2 (6%)
Charles Harris: 52 (70%) — 2 (6%)
Julian Okwara: 33 (45%) — 2 (6%)
John Cominsky: 31 (42%) — 2 (6%)

Game #3
EDGE:

Charles Harris: 66 (92%) — 6 (21%)
Aidan Hutchinson: 57 (79%) — 6 (21%)
Julian Okwara: 20 (28%)
Austin Bryant: 19 (26%) — 6 (21%)

Game #4
EDGE:

Aidan Hutchinson: 57 (81%) — 9 (27%)
Charles Harris: 55 (79%) — 9 (27%)
Julian Okwara: 20 (29%) — 7 (21%)
Austin Bryant: 13 (19%) — 9 (27%)
I know I have seen enough of Julian Okwara on the edge. He does not seal and does nothing against the run. I was high on him coming out of college but he has not been the same since reinjuring his knee.