• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #14 - Sugar Bowl, VT vs. Michigan

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt look back through all the posts so not sure if anyone has stated this or not.

Why did Beamer become such a bitch at the end of regulation? You have a first and 10 at the 16 with 1:30 left in regulation and you make ZERO attempt to score a TD there. Beamer played for overtime.

I know everyone is going to blame the refs for this...but Im going to point the finger at the head coach for this one.

not too many people are blaming the refs...yes that was a TD and yes the replay official royally screwed up, but it was our mistakes let Michigan take us to overtime.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they would have let the touchdown stand so Danny Coale would have had the finish to his career that he deserved. He is the quintessential student athlete and it is going to suck not seeing him on the field next year.

jmcook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always lurked around and used this forum to keep up with Tech recruiting when I'm on the west coast so I finally broke down and joined. Although I'm very disappointed in the outcome of last nights game, I was amazed at the preparation that was put in by Bud Foster and his staff on the defensive side of the ball. They played lights out all game! Not so hot officiating but as previously pointed out we just plain made to many mistakes and allowed an obviously athletically inferior Michigan team to pull out the win. Very impressed by the LT down the stretch and I am looking forward to seeing what he will accomplish in the future. Best of luck to all the players leaving and I'm looking forward to seeing what we put on the field next year.

jmcook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was stuck in the airport in San Fran for about 7 hours during the summer and found the site after a random google search. I really enjoy the information it provides and everyone seems very knowledgeable not only about Hokie football, but Virginia Tech athletics in general. Just looked at the penalty statistics for this season...I knew we got flagged a lot this year but I didn't realize it was this bad.
VT-82 penalties for 745 yards/5.9 penalties per game
Opponents-55 penalties for 477 yards/3.9 penalties per game

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was stuck in the airport in San Fran for about 7 hours during the summer and found the site after a random google search. I really enjoy the information it provides and everyone seems very knowledgeable not only about Hokie football, but Virginia Tech athletics in general. Just looked at the penalty statistics for this season...I knew we got flagged a lot this year but I didn't realize it was this bad.
VT-82 penalties for 745 yards/5.9 penalties per game
Opponents-55 penalties for 477 yards/3.9 penalties per game
Another stat that sucks:
116th in the FBS for plays of negative yardage

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our mistakes not only cost us the game but cost us a blowout win on a national stage. 99% of those mistakes were made outside of the field of play.

You hit the nail on the head. VT outplayed Michigan in just about every aspect of the game. VT also did just about everything they could to give Michigan the game. IMO, Beamer is the most accountable for the loss. Not kicking the FG to go up 9-0 and instead going for it wasn't too smart, IMO. Also, giving Danny Coale the option to either punt or fake punt was reckless as well. If Beamer, or any coach is willing to leave a critical play call up to the players, then what is the point of them being the coach?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hit the nail on the head. VT outplayed Michigan in just about every aspect of the game. VT also did just about everything they could to give Michigan the game. IMO, Beamer is the most accountable for the loss. Not kicking the FG to go up 9-0 and instead going for it wasn't too smart, IMO. Also, giving Danny Coale the option to either punt or fake punt was reckless as well. If Beamer, or any coach is willing to leave a critical play call up to the players, then what is the point of them being the coach?

Ehhh. The coaching wasn't great in certain areas and some poor decisions were made. I don't necessarily fault them (the coaches) for all of it. 9 times out of 10 Thomas is gonna get a 4th and 1. When he saw there was like 3 UM DTs between the guards he shouldve went off the back of a guard. At that point VT had already "settled" for 2 FGs. As far as the penalty goes, Hopper isn't a RS frosh in his first game. He should know not to take that angle. It wasnt a total flop by the UM punter, but that will get called every time. Gregory fumbled on the KO. Not the coaches fault. I totally agree on the fake punt though. Bad call..PERIOD (especially after a time-out)..its 4th down, punt situation..do you need to call a TO to talk about a punt?? Michigan saw that one coming from a mile away. Im OK with him giving Coale the option because he trusts him..he is a senior and a smart player. I just don't think it should have even been an option..

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we played well but made too many mistakes and didn't execute in the redzone and that is what lost the game for us. The refs did blow a couple calls that didn't help in the end. DC was outstanding and that was the best catch I have ever seen. LT was very good and I am super excited about him. The defense was nasty and next year we are going to be even better. We should have thrown the ball a little more. They were forcing it to DW in ways that weren't there. They should have put him in the slot and thrown it to him. Their secondary could not handle our backs and WRs but that is the weakness of our coaching staff. The offense is too "hard coded" DW should have been put in the slot all season a couple plays a game and sent downfield against a safety or LB. They did not utilize his abilities very well at all. That is the weak link in our coaching staff but our offense has been improving the last few years. LT is going to be a top QB when he leaves VT.
Our special teams need some work. I don't mind not blocking kicks every week because I know other teams are working harder at STs now than before. But roughing the kicker plays and Beamer calling the time out to call a fake punt option was a horrible decision. Either run the team out with the call or go for it. Michigan was sitting there waiting on a fake. I have no problem with us going for it on 4th & 1 though. I like the aggressive play call there. LT should have recognized the DL alignment and changed plans or called a TO. He will learn those things though.
It was great watching out seniors and Jayron play (and play well for the most part) last night. White Lightning was lights out and he will have an NFL career I can promise you that. Jayron played well and that will help his stock a little since he was healthy again finally.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I agree with what you have to say. Good luck getting others to understand that on here...then again, Im not a die hard Hokie fan. It just seems like folks would rather blame the refs than acknowledge that beamer just cant get the job done in big games. He's proven this over and over. In fact, he did a fake punt or two (or was it a fake fg?) in the national title game and they failed then too. Deja Vu. Im probably one of the very few who is not a fan of beamer and I dont have the mentality of most hokie fans..my goal is national title, NOT beating Uva and winning the ACC. I want the ultimate goal and a team that can compete against the big boys of college football, but most seem to be happy winning ten games a year vs. the likes of Marshall and ECU (who we struggle with btw).

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
408035_304314322944590_100000980737462_918082_2020746220_n.jpg
catch.gif

I agree with everyone else that VT had the chances and should not have let it come down to OT, but the Danny Coale TD reversal still irks me a little.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everyone else that VT had the chances and should not have let it come down to OT, but the Danny Coale TD reversal still irks me a lot.

this.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you have to say. Good luck getting others to understand that on here...then again, Im not a die hard Hokie fan. It just seems like folks would rather blame the refs than acknowledge that beamer just cant get the job done in big games. He's proven this over and over. In fact, he did a fake punt or two (or was it a fake fg?) in the national title game and they failed then too. Deja Vu. Im probably one of the very few who is not a fan of beamer and I dont have the mentality of most hokie fans..my goal is national title, NOT beating Uva and winning the ACC. I want the ultimate goal and a team that can compete against the big boys of college football, but most seem to be happy winning ten games a year vs. the likes of Marshall and ECU (who we struggle with btw).

Have you been reading all our posts? We have all said that we blew it but that the refs missed that call. We aren't blaming the whole game on the refs. The refs called a pretty good game overall. All crews miss a few calls in a game but the replay guy missed a big one. VT did blow it though. We didn't capitalize on opportunities. Beamer isn't at fault for not winning big games. We just haven't had the teams. The talent pool in the SEC is far ahead. Beamer is actually the reason we are as good as we are. He is taking 3* players and winning with them. Beamer IS the reason VT is where they are at, not what is holding us back. It is ignorant people like you who look from the outside and say, "Oh he can't win the big ones". Maybe you should look at other teams with similar recruiting classes and see where they are.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back from New Orleans and can honestly say I havent been this depressed in a long time over VT football. We deserved to win. We were the better team. Hell even Michigan can admit that. They couldn't do anything on Offense, and when we weren't running back to back draws, we moved the ball pretty easily. We should have won. And to cap it all off we lose on a bogus call. Can't wait to hear the excuse for that from the PAC officials. It couldn't have happened to a better Hokie than Danny too. I'm going to miss Jayron and David Wilson next year, but I think the loss of Danny hurts just as bad. He was clutch.

BTW my friend on the "in" says Myer was pretty torn up and felt like he blew it. To be thrust into the situation he was and make the kicks he did, Justin has nothing to be sad about. I'd vote he and DC co-MVPs.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Have you been reading all our posts? We have all said that we blew it but that the refs missed that call. We aren't blaming the whole game on the refs. The refs called a pretty good game overall. All crews miss a few calls in a game but the replay guy missed a big one. VT did blow it though. We didn't capitalize on opportunities. Beamer isn't at fault for not winning big games. We just haven't had the teams. The talent pool in the SEC is far ahead. Beamer is actually the reason we are as good as we are. He is taking 3* players and winning with them. Beamer IS the reason VT is where they are at, not what is holding us back. It is ignorant people like you who look from the outside and say, "Oh he can't win the big ones". Maybe you should look at other teams with similar recruiting classes and see where they are.

Oh, I'd say Tech had way more talent than Michigan. Sorry to offend you, but the Hokies always seem to play down to the competition in these games. Hey, if youre happy beating schools like Marshall by 14 or beating ECU by 3 then by all means be happy about it. Im not.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I was complacent. My goal is a NC as well. All i am saying is that Beamer's coaching is what is holding us back. His loyalty has been questionable retaining guys who under perform IMO but he is why we are where we are at and I believe he could lead us to a NC. Our recruiting is improving and that is what will lead to the Coach's Trophy

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I didn't say I was complacent. My goal is a NC as well. All i am saying is that Beamer's coaching is what is holding us back. His loyalty has been questionable retaining guys who under perform IMO but he is why we are where we are at and I believe he could lead us to a NC. Our recruiting is improving and that is what will lead to the Coach's Trophy

I hope youre right. I'd love to see that happen.

All Im saying is in a game like that you just can't afford to make the mental mistakes (players and coaches) and expect to win. You set yourself up for bad things to happen like the Coale play in OT. Come out and play like VT is capable of doing and this game would have been a minimum two touchdown lead for the Hokies by halftime.

Was it a bad call in OT? PROBABLY. Did it cost them the game? POSSIBLY. Keep in mind Michigan was just getting in position for a clean kick on their possession. But why play for OT to begin with? A fresh set of downs at the 16 with 1:30 left...no excuse for not going for the jugular right there. In fact, they didnt throw once to the end zone on that set of downs. Inexcusable.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fresh set of downs at the 16 with 1:30 left...no excuse for not going for the jugular right there. In fact, they didnt throw once to the end zone on that set of downs. Inexcusable.

If you score on the first play, they have 1:20 left with a potent offense (we stopped them but it is still potent) I agree with the run call on 1st to drain some time, but then we should have started throwing more. slants and crossing routes to let our guys try and make a play. Once we got to OT the play calling was poor.
Our play calling is always exposed against good teams because we can overcome weaker teams despite it. We have 2 WRs that are 6'4" 225+ and we didn't throw any fades or chances for them to make plays in the endzone aside the 2pt conversion and that was LT, not the play design.