• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #14 - Sugar Bowl, VT vs. Michigan

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
ROBBED!

but we did everything we could to give it away.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, first off: Fuck any of you fairweather motherfuckers that hang up your gobblers after this shit. We should have won this game. That Danny Coale catch was a fucking touchdown.

Secondly: I never had a problem with Michigan, but the refs in this game have instilled a lifelong hatred for the Wolverines.

and lastly: I'm drunk, see all you mother fuckers in the morning. GO HOKIES!!!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of Michigan's points were off VT turnovers :L So angry about the fact that we DOMINATED that game yet found a way to loose. Oh well, Basketball season is in full swing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT. LUCKIEST WIN EVER

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling in sick to work tomorrow...who's with me?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of Michigan's points were off VT turnovers :L So angry about the fact that we DOMINATED that game yet found a way to loose. Oh well, Basketball season is in full swing.

This will be my one and only post concerning this game (may be a long one). Very exciting game from beginning to end. I thought we left a few points out there on the field in the first half. We should have scored a touchdown (at least 1) during our drives. Love DW trying to make something happen..but a loss of 22 on like the 10yl??? Our defense played stellar in both halves and gave up 2 plays in the first half that made a huge difference. Minus 2 crazy throws by Robinson (that should not have been caught) the 22 yarder , and the kickoff TO..the score is at least flopped at the end of the first half.

In the second half the teams played well. I really thought we were gonna come through in the end but the fake punt call?? Really?? That even looked pitiful/High schoolish on TV.. with 4th and a couple why not just try to runa play?? We were obviously the better team 2nite (particularly on D vs. O) but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. By the way, sucks that Meyer missed the last FG,but really unless he makes the other 4 FGs..this game isnt even close. Hats off to him...He did pretty good considering our O could not punch it in..
OFF to work pissed off in about 5 hours..Gnite all. All down in Nawlins..enjoy the rest of your stay..have fun and be safe....

Last edited by a moderator:

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This one's on the Special Teams coach... yeah, it is.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the second half the teams played well. I really thought we were gonna come through in the end but the fake punt call?? Really?? That even looked pitiful/High schoolish on TV.. with 4th and a couple why not just try to runa play?? We were obviously the better team 2nite (particularly on D vs. O) but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. By the way, sucks that Meyer missed the last FG,but really unless he makes the other 4 FGs..this game isnt even close. Hats off to him...He did pretty good considering our O could not punch it in..
OFF to work pissed off in about 5 hours..Gnite all. All down in Nawlins..enjoy the rest of your stay..have fun and be safe....

This. For Meyer to step in and perform the way he did is admirable.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???????????? Explain Fetti. Not sure what you are saying..
Roughing the kicker call that led to Michigan TD
Mind boggling fake Punt that led to Michigan FG
Fumble on kick return that led to Michigan FG

All special teams miscues.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am going to stop bitching and look at the positives and negatives of this game like its a regular season game.

Positive:
-dominated the LOS defensively which limited Robinson and RBs running
-played excellent coverage. DBs played aggressive
-threw the ball well on offense
-got David Wilson the ball a lot
-Justin Meyer kicked well

Negative
-made too many special team mistakes (roughing the punter, fake punt, fumble on KR)
-settled for FGs instead of TDs
-didn't run the ball too well
-seniors don't go out on a good note despite DOMINATING performance. The seniors are who I feel for the most.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shame in this loss, Hokies. You guys looked like the better team and deserved the win. Respect for the way you guys represented the ACC.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am going to stop bitching and look at the positives and negatives of this game like its a regular season game.

Negative
-made too many special team mistakes (roughing the punter, fake punt, fumble on KR)

dont forget the fake field goal where our 2 defenders collide instead of communicating or batting it down. they end up making a FG on the drive.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here are my bulleted points on the game in a somewhat random order:

-The title of this summary is "Wasted Opportunities". Much how VT seems to blow every chance they get to win a national level game, we blew so many chances in this game, especially on offense.

-Teams that only get FGs in the red zone usually don't win games. Such was the case here. In the first half within scoring range, we got 2 FGs and a turnover on downs. Unacceptable. If we get TDs there, its 21-0. That's a totally different game and it forces Michigan to pass which is something Robinson doesn't do well. Just as we've seen all season, the play calling in the red zone is far too conservative. STOP RUNNING EVERY DAMN DOWN. We never took a shot to the endzone until the 2nd half.

-This game is an example of why Time of Possession is the most bullshit stat in football. Keep that in mind going forward. It doesn't mean shit if you hold the ball for 30 mins. Scoring TDs does

-Defense played exceptionally well. We did an outstanding job of shutting down Robinson's explosive ability. You couldn't play it any better. If Whitely's a millisecond early on Hemingway's TD, that's an INT. It's a shame the rest of the team didn't back Bud's unit up but such is the case with this team EVERY year.

-Don't whine about Hosley's pass interference call. It's the right call. He had him hooked up high. Be honest. If the roles were reversed you'd be screaming for pass interference.

-Justin Meyer...major cojones. Forget the miss. You stepped up big time. If I ever see you in a bar, I'm buying you a beer. Great job

-How the bloody hell was Coale's TD overturned? He clearly got his elbow down and had control. Complete and utter bullshit.

-I've been saying this for 2 years now and hopefully people will start listening; Frank Beamer has gotten lazy with his special teams. Lots of mistakes tonight and we've seen them all season. Quit counting your paper and get back to coaching.

-This deserves its own bullet. Frank Beamer, you're an idiot. In my lifetime of watching VT football, that fake punt was one of the dumbest calls I have ever seen. What the hell could you possibly be thinking? Given the situation, it makes absolutely NO FUCKING SENSE to fake a punt there. If you want the 1st down, fine. Go for it with LT with a QB sneak on 4th and 1. He gets it 9 out of 10 times. But the smart call is to punt and pin them deep. Tie game, 7 minutes left, ball on the 50. Our defense has pretty much stonewalled them. The call is clearly to punt. If they drive and score, so be it. That fake punt gave them the ball in our territory. We gift wrapped them 3 points. Ridiculous. A coach of lesser stature would get fired for that kind of shit.

-We lost this game because Frank Beamer and his offensive coaches blew it. That's it. If they want to know why nobody respects us nationally then my advice to them is to go look in the mirror.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughing the kicker call that led to Michigan TD
Mind boggling fake Punt that led to Michigan FG
Fumble on kick return that led to Michigan FG

All special teams miscues.

+1 to this.

The fake punt was just awful. Hokies had so much momentum. Just punt, stuff Michigan, and score the next drive.

I think the Hokies have had something like 7 roughing penalties to 1 blocked kick this year. The ratio is awful. They really need to rethink what they are doing on the punt block team. Especially when hits like this one get ruled roughing instead of running into.

The fumble was 3 pts but ONLY after we had 2 guys whiff on the INT on the Michigan "fake FG". That 3 points really took a pair of special teams miscues.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Didnt look back through all the posts so not sure if anyone has stated this or not.

Why did Beamer become such a bitch at the end of regulation? You have a first and 10 at the 16 with 1:30 left in regulation and you make ZERO attempt to score a TD there. Beamer played for overtime.

I know everyone is going to blame the refs for this...but Im going to point the finger at the head coach for this one.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense played lights out. Meyer did a great job regardless of the last attempt. Receivers seemed open all night long and Logan was accurate. Wilson couldn't get going, but that was due to Michigan's game plan (other than the 20+ yard loss on the first drive with 1st and goal).

Special teams and Beamer's decisions are what lost this game for us (excluding Meyer). I wish we never go after another punt because more often than not, we get flagged for roughing and give the ball right back to the opponent. I know Beamer wanted to be aggressive, but your defense had been playing great and your offense was marching down the field all night long. Why risk it and give the ball right back to Denard? Ultimately lead to their first TD when Whitley should have knocked the ball down instead of going for the pick.

I will give Michigan credit for the strip on Gregory's KO return, but that was still a mistake that lead to another 3 points for Michigan.

Then we take a timeout after tying the game back up at midfield to fake a punt??? WTF were you thinking Frank? Either go for it with a real play or punt it away and let your defense get the ball back for you with a chance to win the game, not tie it.

Why is it we ALWAYS get out beamerballed in big games?

Oh well, it is just a game and it is another day. Moving on.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for some Michigan fans to start talking shit. That was like an MMA fight where we came out of our corner and started punching ourselves in the face... And when we got woosey Michigan and the replay official joined in to finish the job.

More than the VERY unFrank like calls (to go for it early inside their 5, the fakey punt when tied, etc) the completely unnecessary jumping INT attempt on 4th down on THEIR Fuck up of a fake FG was the clincher for me. That was the free three points that really, really hurt us.