• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #14 - Sugar Bowl, VT vs. Michigan

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, I know it is still fresh, fun, and people are still pissed off about us getting in, but I don't care. We deserve to be there as much as anyone and I think this is a must win for the program AND the ACC. VT has to represent. We are almost a month away which should give us all plenty of time to discuss/dissect this matchup. In a nutshell...

Total Offense - Wolverines (34), Hokies (38)
Passing - VT (66), UM (90)
Rushing - UM (12), VT (31)
Scoring Offense - UM (23), VT (55)

Total Defense - Hokies (12), Wolverines (18)
Rush D - VT (17), UM (35)
Pass D - UM (16), VT (41)
Scoring D - UM (7), VT (8)

At a glance looks like a good matchup. We all know about Robinson and obviously to key to stopping them, is stopping him. I think our "speedy" defense is a good kind of defense to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win. Just look at the trend. We play great one game, terrible the next.

Lose to Clemson, then LT goes nuts against Miami. Struggle with Duke, then beat GT on the road, then struggle with UNC, then hammer UVa, then god awful against Clemson again.

So the good VT team is due up against Michigan. How's that for analysis? LOL

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
havnt seen a lot of Mich this year, but what i have seen is Denard(sp?) throwing to a bunch of wide open rec. I think if we can cover those guys and contain DR we will be in good shape.

Any of you guys know where i can find replays of Mich games???

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
havnt seen a lot of Mich this year, but what i have seen is Denard(sp?) throwing to a bunch of wide open rec. I think if we can cover those guys and contain DR we will be in good shape.

Any of you guys know where i can find replays of Mich games???

Just a guess here, Big 10 Network? LOL

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can cover their receivers and get some heat on Robinson, he is a horrific passer. Of course, when receivers are running free, it's not too hard to find them.
Hoke actually wanted to run a pro offense this year, but that wasn't possible due to the skill set they have.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their read option scares me. We struggle with option teams every year and Denard is very good at running it. Clemson destroyed us with it twice this year and Denard has more speed than any of them. A big key to the game will be our offense. Not only scoring but controlling the clock.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win. Just look at the trend. We play great one game, terrible the next.

Lose to Clemson, then LT goes nuts against Miami. Struggle with Duke, then beat GT on the road, then struggle with UNC, then hammer UVa, then god awful against Clemson again.

So the good VT team is due up against Michigan. How's that for analysis? LOL

Haha, that's exactly what I talked to my mom about at lunch.

I called her to figure out plans for this weekend, going to the Army/Navy game. It's not like I call my mom at lunch all the time... DON'T JUDGE ME!!

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Hosley and Tweedy back up to game speed is going to be important. We have a faster D than most Michigan has played this year when all the parts are there.

Edit: Check ESPN3. they typically have all of the playbacks

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening line was -3 VT, has since moved to -2 Michigan. Currently AccuScore has VT winning 55% of the time.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Having Hosley and Tweedy back up to game speed is going to be important. We have a faster D than most Michigan has played this year when all the parts are there.

Edit: Check ESPN3. they typically have all of the playbacks

thank you sirs! prob try and watch a few of their games during the upcoming "dead period".

oh and completely agree about Tweedy and Hosley. Tweedy may be very important in this game as he has the speed to shadow Denard.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we can cover their receivers and get some heat on Robinson, he is a horrific passer. Of course, when receivers are running free, it's not too hard to find them.
Hoke actually wanted to run a pro offense this year, but that wasn't possible due to the skill set they have.

He does take a lot of gambles, but the receivers do a good job of getting in the air and pulling them down. He hasn't played against a secondary of Tech's caliber though yet.
Hoke/Borges would have been idiots if they didn't open the field up for Robinson.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen a few Michigan games this year.

They're defense has some size, but they aren't anything special. Miami and UNC's D has more talent so we shouldn't have too much trouble with them. I say "should" because part of me can see our O-line laying on their ass just like the Clemson games (thanks Newsome).

Offensively, everyone knows the key is taking away Denard Robinson's ability to run. He is a terrible quarterback in the traditional sense. If he is forced to make multiple reads, there's a high chance he's taking a sack or turning the ball over. Really, I think we should play them similar to how we played GT. Take away their options and force them to pass.

This is a VERY winnable game for us with the added benefit for future respect considering you're beating a team with name recognition (regardless of if the current team is worthy of it). If Beamer, the coaches, and the players take the humility from the Clemson game and combine it with the backlash of being selected to the Sugar bowl and use it as motivation to get back to fundamental VT football, we should be fine.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dozer is at it again

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Prob not the most memorable play for most people but the option @ 1:10 was executed perfectly by our skill guys. Really nice play for LT to split the defenders and an even better block by boykin on the outside. <----- I really love the option and wish we would run it more.

I say "skill guys" because BDC misses not only his primary but his secondary block on that play:L

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the option. This is what I don't understand. Get our big receivers out there and block like that and we could do some damage. We used to run this ALOT in the MV days....

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the option. This is what I don't understand. Get our big receivers out there and block like that and we could do some damage. We used to run this ALOT in the MV days....

I imagine/hope that with this being LT's first season under center that maybe they did not want to throw too much at him. I EXPECT O'Cain, Stiney and Beamer to implement more of this read-option in the off-season in an effort to make this offense even more explosive and diverse next year. These plays have been ran plenty this year, but not as smooth as they should be most of the time. LT just needs more time and practice, learning his reads, etc. THe RO will only throw a huge curve ball to opposing defenses and help our O-Line with some new people there. Offensively, we have made some improvements this year. I expect that to continue in '12.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like about 5000 of our 17,500 allotment has sold already. Tickets go on sale to the public and students from the VT office tomorrow. I know one of my buddies may be buying his dad's hokie club seats, which you can still order through friday