• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fuck Cousins, time to move on

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The slim chance that we will be able to draft the next Rogers/Brady/Manning without getting butt raped in another bone headed trade is not a good reason NOT to pay him either.

True.

Thats never a desired plan. It may at some point be necessary (minus the kings ransom trade up) but you never WANT to find yourself in that situation.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be pretty surprised by that but if it happens oh well. We all know hes the best, no point in worrying what he makes.

AGREED....and parenthetically, exactly what some are saying about Kirk and what he makes!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

Thats never a desired plan. It may at some point be necessary (minus the kings ransom trade up) but you never WANT to find yourself in that situation.

I would say you never want to find yourself in a position where you have to draft a QB. Because even without the trade, the odds are high you will over value simply for the fact that you got to find a QB. So yea I would rather risk over paying Cousins then having Dan and Bruce fall in love with the next Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith,Jamarcus Russell or Johnny Numb Nutz.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say you never want to find yourself in a position where you have to draft a QB. Because even without the trade, the odds are high you will over value simply for the fact that you got to find a QB. So yea I would rather risk over paying Cousins then having Dan and Bruce fall in love with the next Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith,Jamarcus Russell or Johnny Numb Nutz.

I dont think thats a crazy opinion.

Im not sure I agree, but its not crazy.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us not forget Chris Thompson who's playing lights out right now. Dude is a nightmare match up problem for any defense.

Not to interrupt the in-fighting between y'all in this thread (which is entertaining reading and thanks for that!), but wtf is going on with the RB situation there? It seems that Kelley (12 carries last week) looks hurt, Perine got a shitload of carries/touches, and Thompson had like only 6 touches, but was damn productive. Is Thompson likely to get a bigger role going forward, or is he just going to be a third down kind of back with hit and miss production? If Kelley is out for awhile, will Perine be the workhorse, or more likely to be splitting some with Thompson, given what he's done? Thoughts? Thanks.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to interrupt the in-fighting between y'all in this thread (which is entertaining reading and thanks for that!), but wtf is going on with the RB situation there? It seems that Kelley (12 carries last week) looks hurt, Perine got a shitload of carries/touches, and Thompson had like only 6 touches, but was damn productive. Is Thompson likely to get a bigger role going forward, or is he just going to be a third down kind of back with hit and miss production? If Kelley is out for awhile, will Perine be the workhorse, or more likely to be splitting some with Thompson, given what he's done? Thoughts? Thanks.

OK, one at a time.:

Kelly at last report that I've read is likely out for a minute.

Perine is the first up to get the majority of touches, because.....

Thompson had a history of injury, He most likely will get a few more touches, however, I don't think that the organization wants to gamble on him getting a whole lot more than his current load because of that.

Couple of side notes: 1.There's still time to evaluate Kelly and make a move with respects to putting the ball in Mack Brown's hands a few times.

2. That in-fighting that you're witnessing is nothing but brotherly love. Just like in any family we fight, but when someone else unnecessarily F's with our brother/sister, he/she gets us all.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree. Cousins is the QB. By nature we are just going to talk about him more. I dont think that means we arent critical of other players too. Cousins is also the most important player and the one whos future is most up in the air.

So yes we should be critical of everybody when they play poorly and praise them when they play well but...well youre on this board. You know who will be the center of conversation.

Which is often my point about the difference in being a fan and actually having a good working knowledge of the game. No surprise here though.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those Glennon and Osweiler contracts are AWWWWWFUL.

But, "The market", is not a good reason to pay him.

I won't argue that they aren't awful contracts because they are. That being said it is the market. Since Cousin's is better than both his salary will be slotted over that amount whether you want him to get it or not. Whether the Redskins will pay him that much is the bone of contention and if they decide not to what will they do next. It is all simple economics ehb, you know that.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, one at a time.:

Kelly at last report that I've read is likely out for a minute.

Perine is the first up to get the majority of touches, because.....

Thompson had a history of injury, He most likely will get a few more touches, however, I don't think that the organization wants to gamble on him getting a whole lot more than his current load because of that.

Couple of side notes: 1.There's still time to evaluate Kelly and make a move with respects to putting the ball in Mack Brown's hands a few times.

2. That in-fighting that you're witnessing is nothing but brotherly love. Just like in any family we fight, but when someone else unnecessarily F's with our brother/sister, he/she gets us all.

Good pts. Thompson weighs 190 lbs. That is not the size RB that you want to carry the majority of runs. I am kind of puzzled by the original question. It almost made it sound like the running game was a problem on Sun - it was actually quite the opposite. What is wrong with using multiple running backs especially when none of them are going to be confused with Bell or Elliott.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue that they aren't awful contracts because they are. That being said it is the market. Since Cousin's is better than both his salary will be slotted over that amount whether you want him to get it or not. Whether the Redskins will pay him that much is the bone of contention and if they decide not to what will they do next. It is all simple economics ehb, you know that.

Yep - I think that it just comes down to whether you retain him or not. The $$ are not really the issue - starting NFL QBs are going to get paid ridiculous contracts in this era (like it or not) & it is not going to change anytime soon. Some folks need to get over this - this isn't the 90s.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is often my point about the difference in being a fan and actually having a good working knowledge of the game. No surprise here though.

So talking mostly about the QB means you dont have a good working knowledge of the game? Huh?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do know that. Cousins next contract will be higher than theirs were. No doubt. It is simple economics.

That does not mean he will be properly valued by the market. Big difference.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, "the market" is the perfect reason to pay him. That is how salaries are determined.

Not really. The market determines price, not value he will bring to the team. What the market determines him to be worth does notautomatically equate to being a smart price to pay him (or any player).

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The market determines price, not value he will bring to the team. What the market determines him to be worth does notautomatically equate to being a smart price to pay him (or any player).

Pay X (market value) for KC and we know we are getting at worst a solid QB, maybe even a very good QB.

Pay Y for a person who has been a backup on another team and in another system.

Pay Z (contract), possibly +P (draft picks) for an unproven QB with a 10% chance of being as good as our QB.

The market determines price for the player but the market still values the player at said price. It may not be your personal value but it still is value.

There are very few NFL players worth the actual value they are being paid because the market determines their cost.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So talking mostly about the QB means you dont have a good working knowledge of the game? Huh?

IMO opinion it shows a limited knowledge of the game. I understand they get too much credit and too much blame. Then too even you said well the offensive line play sucked and CT dropped a pass doesn't exactly make you Knute Rockne. (I used a real old guy on purpose :D) You knew what I was getting at.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do know that. Cousins next contract will be higher than theirs were. No doubt. It is simple economics.

That does not mean he will be properly valued by the market. Big difference.

Properly valued? Who determines that? Properly valued is what someone is willing to pay him whether is 10 cents or $10 billion. Maybe you meant properly valued by you and whoever else agrees with you.

I could walk into my bosses office and say "you have not properly valued me." I have seen others do it and then watched as they went elsewhere to get properly valued. Isn't that what Cousin's is doing?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay X (market value) for KC and we know we are getting at worst a solid QB, maybe even a very good QB.

Pay Y for a person who has been a backup on another team and in another system.

Pay Z (contract), possibly +P (draft picks) for an unproven QB with a 10% chance of being as good as our QB.

The market determines price for the player but the market still values the player at said price. It may not be your personal value but it still is value.

There are very few NFL players worth the actual value they are being paid because the market determines their cost.

At worst with KC we're getting a QB not good enough to go win a SB and possibly overpaying in the process.

Im not a huge fan of paying up for another teams backup at all.

Z (the rookie contract) is a small fraction of what X would be. And the odds would be much higher than 10%.

The market values him at a certain price. That does not mean the market values him at his true value. Its not about what I think hes worth. Its about what he genuinely is worth.

Ironically most of the players who are worth more than their contracts are rookies.

*** Everything I just said is simply facts. Don't take it to mean that I am advocating for any certain course of action. Whether we like it or not - the above statements are true. Lets not lie to ourselves just because we prefer one outcome to another.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO opinion it shows a limited knowledge of the game. I understand they get too much credit and too much blame. Then too even you said well the offensive line play sucked and CT dropped a pass doesn't exactly make you Knute Rockne. (I used a real old guy on purpose :D) You knew what I was getting at.

Ehh QB is the most important player. And the most polarizing. Thats naturally where conversation goes. Has nothing to do with football knowledge. If you ever want to debate the merits of other players at other positions Id be happy too. Theres nothing to be gained by acting too good to talk about QBs.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Properly valued? Who determines that? Properly valued is what someone is willing to pay him whether is 10 cents or $10 billion. Maybe you meant properly valued by you and whoever else agrees with you.

I could walk into my bosses office and say "you have not properly valued me." I have seen others do it and then watched as they went elsewhere to get properly valued. Isn't that what Cousin's is doing?

Well thats simply not true. As I said to GK, what I value him at is completely irrelevant. He has a certain value. The market either will or will not correctly value him. The market saying hes worth 27 M a year doesnt actually make that his value. Price =/= value.