• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

fsu and clemson to the big 12

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spoke to some pretty well connected people and this is a bluff (at this point). There is no real heat to this movement at all. All of the talk and interest is coming from the Big XII and strictly speculation. It is a bait for Notre Dame.

Sorry, for now.

Hmmmm. There have been some wild oscillations in public opinion since May 4th, but we may be back to square one.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont expect nd or anyone else right now....but im sure they are trying to get back to 12 this summer

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU and Clemson are staying in the ACC, FWIW...

nojWx.gif

im still in the we shall see phase....other reputable people who have nailed just about every realignment move have said and sticking with (as of yesterday) thats its a done deal

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know your also right a lot and have good contacts .....so a rep will be given to the speculative winner :D

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not backtracking.

This really is a case of procedure and who takes the ball for FSU and punches it across the goal line. I'm sure Barron will be involved but a president's time is limited and he needs the AD to work on the details of moving. Spetman is just a figurehead. He has no influence or power and he isn't trusted to see the see the process finished.

The question is can FSU get done all they need to do by Aug. 15th? I would reason they can and most likely will as it doesn't seem to do them any good to decide to leave and stick around a year.

Just don't expect anything but a denial from Barron today.

The BoT will talk about what they need to do and most likely Haggard or the new BoT chairman is Haggard decides he doesn't want it, will be the one to assume the day-to-day role of preparing FSU to leave.

The first step in that process is to open formal talks with the Big 12. The BoT is expected to authorize Barron to begin talks with the Big 12 . Again don't count on public word of that sanction coming out but in order to avoid claims of interference FSU has to reach out to the Big 12.

Once that's done FSU will submit a letter of interest. I'm unclear if this serves as the application but its all just a formality. The Big 12 expansion committee will meet and recommend FSU and Clemson to the Big 12. Then the presidents will hold a vote by teleconference.

It sounds like a simple process but a lot of work goes into it. Budgets have to be drawn up and accommodations to make up for the 75% of ACC revenues they will be losing have to be made. Every coach in every sport has to be consulted and schedules revised.

Now imagine trying to do all this with a lame duck AD.

Lots of people don't understand that WVU began preparing to exit the Big East shortly after Luck took office. WVU had almost a full year of preparation before they accepted the Big 12 bid and that's with Luck as AD.

What people need to do is stop thinking in terms of allegiance to a conference. This is about money and the ACC contract is worse than people think. FSU will make the move because the money dictates they MUST make the move.

Hopefully FSU's BoT will re-elect Haggard as chairman or someone else willing to tackle the paperwork and process. Otherwise we could see FSU cool their heels in the ACC and come over in 2014.

I for one don't want to repeat this in the summer of 2013.

Now please stop the nonsense about backtracking or flip-flopping. It's an invalid argument as I assume most of you would want to know the accurate facts even when/if they change.

Remember this is sports, big dollars are attached yes, but keep your perspective.

^^^ posted by "the dude".....

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't have contacts so I may neg you both.

i have no contacts either sir......i just know where to look and who to ignore in the realignment rumor mills....(texas has had a lot of practice recently)

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems the guy who started this is stepping down. Wonder if that will cool things off:

D.C. Reeves ‏@Warchant_DC
Vote is up for new chairman of #FSU BOT. Andy Haggard's term is up

#FSU BOT Andy Haggard chairman decides to nominate someone else. "I think we need a fresh persepective." #FSU (does FSU need to be hash-tagged twice?)

Haggard nominates Allan Bense of Panama City for next BOT chair. #FSU

No other nominations, Allan Bense named new chair of #FSU BOT. Haggard hands Bense the gavel. (Got his own nominee in the role though, how long in advance to you plan that move?)

Nice speech from Eric Barron about Haggard's efforts at BOT chair. Haggard praised Bense's academic background as vital moving forward.

^^^^ so the fsu BOT has a new chairman???

wonder if this will be good or bad

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eerlaw11 -

1. FSU has not had a reason to explore what their tier 3 rights are worth to this point. It is one of the reasons FSU is looking elsewhere because the new ACC contract with ESPN does not allow ACC schools rights to their tier 3 monies. It is my understanding that this is part of their "fact finding" mission. The numbers being thrown around regarding the potential payout for the new Big 12 teir 1 contract is just for teir 1 and 2. FSU will have the ability to get their own tier 3 contract, something they can not do now. At this point the ACC makes no sense financially for FSU.

2. All I've heard about divisions is that UT and Oklahoma are running that show. I am sure it has been posted here already that UT and Oklahoma have agreed to be in different divisions. This is not golden by any means but I have been told the eastern division would consist of WVU, Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma as definites. Baylor was considered to be an eastern school but is throwing a fit because they want to be able to play the Texas schools every year.

BTW, we may be waiting until August to hear anything official. Also, do not expect one school to be announced before the other. Both schools will be announced within days if not hours from the other.

--

It can not be stressed enough that ESPN/Fox will have a HUGE say in how the divisions will be handled. If the Friday night games do happen expect to see a 9 conference game schedule. ESPN WILL make sure to get the best return on their investment. If there can be mutiple cross divisional rivalries for OSU UT and OU that can be put into prime time slots while still allowing one of those rivalries to be replayed in a conference championship game ESPN will push hard for this scenario.

^^^ from wvu board