• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Front Office @ Mgmt

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea...there's a lot swirling around out there at the moment...but that's all it is. The Gruden to the Rams is pretty laughable. Why would he give up his gravy train commentary job to jump back into the NFL grind?? I just don't see that happening at all. He's been out of football for 8 years. That's like 200 years in NFL years.

I think the Rams are looking for a rock star head coach. That's why the rumours of Harbaugh were the first to emerge, and I guess he shot that down. Now it seems as if Gruden is the next guy. I don't think the Rams are gonna settle for some teams co-ordinator or anything like that until they exhaust every effort to get a 'big name.'

JMO.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams are looking for a rock star head coach. That's why the rumours of Harbaugh were the first to emerge, and I guess he shot that down. Now it seems as if Gruden is the next guy. I don't think the Rams are gonna settle for some teams co-ordinator or anything like that until they exhaust every effort to get a 'big name.'

JMO.

I agree...ruuuuuuuuuuuuuumors are flying!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

JMO.

agree but this is standard practice for all teams searching for a head coach. they start with the 'rock star' names, then work down as they get rejected. I'm sure a lot of this search/reject occurs 'behind the scenes', so we don't read all of it.

going forward, i think the Rams are in worse shape than us. Because i don't see Goff rising to a level that makes up for lost draft picks. So neither team has a good QB. Will not argue Goff still has a chance, whereas we know for sure we don't.

The Rams don't have top picks next season, we do.

Can't imagine the Rams cap situation is nearly as good as ours?

Their defensive front 7 is good today, but that starts to change fast.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree but this is standard practice for all teams searching for a head coach. they start with the 'rock star' names, then work down as they get rejected. I'm sure a lot of this search/reject occurs 'behind the scenes', so we don't read all of it.

A lot of teams do, but I can think of some that don't really go that route for a different reasons. Teams like GB and Pittsburgh don't seem to get that 'it' guy. Washington, Dallas and Oakland for the longest time got puppets for their franchises' owner/'head coach.' Oak and Wash may be turning away from that routine however.

I think there are times when it's almost a necessity - like when SF got Harbaugh. They needed the biggest fish in the pond to make the franchise relevant again. Now, we're worse off than when we were beforehand, which is why I was pulling for Sean Payton to come here.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of teams do, but I can think of some that don't really go that route for a different reasons. Teams like GB and Pittsburgh don't seem to get that 'it' guy. Washington, Dallas and Oakland for the longest time got puppets for their franchises' owner/'head coach.' Oak and Wash may be turning away from that routine however.

I think there are times when it's almost a necessity - like when SF got Harbaugh. They needed the biggest fish in the pond to make the franchise relevant again. Now, we're worse off than when we were beforehand, which is why I was pulling for Sean Payton to come here.

Sean Payton would have been great. But I think there are issues here with control and the big names like Payton want more authority than the FO has been willing to give. Oakland has done a complete turn around. Al Davis was a dictator and exerted control over every team function. Al Davis was much worse than this FO. When Mark Davis took over, he was smart enough to realize that he doesn't the football background to make these kind of decisions and has basically delegated it to Reggie McKenzie. Unfortunately, Jed York can't see it. Both he and Marathe, who once said he could be a football GM, have involved themselves in football related decisions.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton would have been great. But I think there are issues here with control and the big names like Payton want more authority than the FO has been willing to give. Oakland has done a complete turn around. Al Davis was a dictator and exerted control over every team function. Al Davis was much worse than this FO. When Mark Davis took over, he was smart enough to realize that he doesn't the football background to make these kind of decisions and has basically delegated it to Reggie McKenzie. Unfortunately, Jed York can't see it. Both he and Marathe, who once said he could be a football GM, have involved themselves in football related decisions.

Exactly...like I've said numerous times before...the FO needs to get blown up and York has to take a back seat once the new regime is in place.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton would have been great. But I think there are issues here with control and the big names like Payton want more authority than the FO has been willing to give.
It could be even worse than that. We're in such poor shape image wise around the league, that guys may not even want to come here. I can't remember the specifics, but the Raiders were going after someone and Bill Cowher advised him to stay away from the pit that was Oakland. Or maybe it was Cowher who was warned by another. Either way, the point stands.

We were incredibly fortunate to land Harbaugh, and the 49ers were relevant before they even took the field for 2011.....look where we're at now - worse than before Harbaugh.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be even worse than that. We're in such poor shape image wise around the league, that guys may not even want to come here. I can't remember the specifics, but the Raiders were going after someone and Bill Cowher advised him to stay away from the pit that was Oakland. Or maybe it was Cowher who was warned by another. Either way, the point stands.

We were incredibly fortunate to land Harbaugh, and the 49ers were relevant before they even took the field for 2011.....look where we're at now - worse than before Harbaugh.

Yes, that was Ken Wisenhunt. He was an assistant under Bill Cowher and a hot coaching prospect at the time. Wisenhunt went to Cowher and Cowher advised Wisenhunt not to take it. There was an article years back about how bad Oakland's reputation had become under Al Davis. The article explained how former coaches like John Fox would move on to other organizations and through them word would spread about the toxic environment in Oakland. Al Davis had to resort to going after College assistant coaches because no one at pro level would interview.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Matt Maiocco, a pretty reliable source

Trent Baalke

It appears to be a fait accompli that Baalke will officially be out as 49ers general manager shortly after the team’s final game. Everybody within the organization and around the NFL seems to know it. Now, it’s just a matter of the official announcement.

And Baalke’s future might be less of a mystery than anyone else on this list. League sources have told CSNBayArea.com that Baalke will end up working under John Elway in the Denver Broncos’ personnel department.

[RELATED: Sources: Trent Baalke could end up with Broncos]

The 49ers are expected to interview approximately six general manager candidates. Some who could be on that list are Seattle co-directors of pro personnel Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer, Kansas City director of player personnel Chris Ballard, Green Bay director of football operations Eliot Wolf and Dallas director of college/pro personnel Will McClay.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is from Matt Maiocco, a pretty reliable source

Trent Baalke

It appears to be a fait accompli that Baalke will officially be out as 49ers general manager shortly after the team’s final game. Everybody within the organization and around the NFL seems to know it. Now, it’s just a matter of the official announcement.

And Baalke’s future might be less of a mystery than anyone else on this list. League sources have told CSNBayArea.com that Baalke will end up working under John Elway in the Denver Broncos’ personnel department.

[RELATED: Sources: Trent Baalke could end up with Broncos]

The 49ers are expected to interview approximately six general manager candidates. Some who could be on that list are Seattle co-directors of pro personnel Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer, Kansas City director of player personnel Chris Ballard, Green Bay director of football operations Eliot Wolf and Dallas director of college/pro personnel Will McClay.

FIRST, get the GM who closely fits what Jed sees, or if not Jed whomever becomes the next President. I'm sure each candidate has positives else they wouldn't become candidates. So ensure the best working relationship you can, so they communicate freely. They should not go down to the X's and O's mind you, but share the same thinking on Coaches and organizational structure (medical, equipment, scouting, and other support staff). I would try to get the best personality fit between Owner and GM, before worrying about Chip Kelly.

Chip Kelly and staff will come up during the interviews, but the Owner - GM relationship should be established first. That relationship will hopefully last 5 years if not more, whereas the coaching staff can change at any time. I would NOT try to get a GM who'll satisfy BOTH Jed and Chip simultaneously. If it happens to work out this way, great, otherwise Owner - GM.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIRST, get the GM who closely fits what Jed sees, or if not Jed whomever becomes the next President. I'm sure each candidate has positives else they wouldn't become candidates. So ensure the best working relationship you can, so they communicate freely. They should not go down to the X's and O's mind you, but share the same thinking on Coaches and organizational structure (medical, equipment, scouting, and other support staff). I would try to get the best personality fit between Owner and GM, before worrying about Chip Kelly.

Chip Kelly and staff will come up during the interviews, but the Owner - GM relationship should be established first. That relationship will hopefully last 5 years if not more, whereas the coaching staff can change at any time. I would NOT try to get a GM who'll satisfy BOTH Jed and Chip simultaneously. If it happens to work out this way, great, otherwise Owner - GM.

Jed needs to hire the best person and stay out of football operations along with Marathe

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jed needs to hire the best person and stay out of football operations along with Marathe

Over the YEARS we keep reading posts saying the Owners are meddling (whether John or Jed), but what does this mean really? What is this meddling or whatever interference are fans talking about?

I don't recall reading ANYTHING saying Jed (or his father before him) making decisions in the locker room? So unless someone....anyone......can post specific examples of meddling in football operations, i will never get it?!

'Meddling' means over riding your GM and HC and for me, examples of this are making a draft pick, determining what the game plan will be, deciding who will play and not play, deciding who will go on IR, who will be traded, etc. etc. Again, i don't recall reading John nor Jed ever making decisions overriding the GM/HC?

What IS the Owners job? What do fans WANT him to do? For me, provide the $$$ is obvious, so that means ensure the Business side is taken care of. Next, you have to stay in the NFL loop and hob-knob with other "Football people". Simply put, this means network in the NFL, and stay up to date on NFL people/trends. The hardest part of being the Owner is what will happen soon.....chose the next GM.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the YEARS we keep reading posts saying the Owners are meddling (whether John or Jed), but what does this mean really? What is this meddling or whatever interference are fans talking about?

I don't recall reading ANYTHING saying Jed (or his father before him) making decisions in the locker room? So unless someone....anyone......can post specific examples of meddling in football operations, i will never get it?!

'Meddling' means over riding your GM and HC and for me, examples of this are making a draft pick, determining what the game plan will be, deciding who will play and not play, deciding who will go on IR, who will be traded, etc. etc. Again, i don't recall reading John nor Jed ever making decisions overriding the GM/HC?

What IS the Owners job? What do fans WANT him to do? For me, provide the $$$ is obvious, so that means ensure the Business side is taken care of. Next, you have to stay in the NFL loop and hob-knob with other "Football people". Simply put, this means network in the NFL, and stay up to date on NFL people/trends. The hardest part of being the Owner is what will happen soon.....chose the next GM.
Meddling means getting involved in coaching and player personnel decisions. Jed was involved in the hiring of Tomsula. He and Marathe led a coaching search. Jed is not qualified. He needs to bring in a Senior Personnel Executive and step away. Look at other owners who meddled and what the results were

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Meddling means getting involved in coaching and player personnel decisions. Jed was involved in the hiring of Tomsula. He and Marathe led a coaching search. Jed is not qualified. He needs to bring in a Senior Personnel Executive and step away. Look at other owners who meddled and what the results were

I think this is a fine line between 'football operations', and what an Owner is supposed to do? For me, meddling is making decisions without the GM or HC. But any Owner is also supposed to approve certain decisions. ANY Owner can't make a good approval without knowing what is going on.

For such an important position as a HC, would you just have stepped away and let Baalke make that decision? Even if not Baalke, would you just stay away from the search, and just rubber stamp it? If you were the Owner and where the buck eventually stops, would you let this new GM hire our next HC, without knowing anything yourself?

Regarding Tomsula, they had other intentions but they all fell thru. They ended up with Tomsula, not selected him because he was their target. Anyway, that is another topic that we don't need to re-visit.

Being on the 'selection committee' is a little too far, but ANY Owner would want to know who is being considered, and why? As a fan, i would WANT my Owner to know this DURING the search, so he can make a good decision whether to approve or not. Later if it doesn't work, then i can blame him. But i'll agree the GM really does the meat and potatoes.

You didn't cite a personnel decision, so again i don't think Jed meddled? But similar to a HC, for the higher priced players, the Owner is briefed on the reasoning. It isn't unusual for any Owner to approve pricey players whether trade, free agency, or extension. IF Jed made player decisions without regard for Baalke, then that is meddling.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without being inside the building, it's really hard to say what has happened over the past 3 or so seasons when the franchise has imploded. I try and stay clear of it and focus on what we all know - this organization went from the near top to the near bottom at breakneck speed, and they're all to be held accountable. The Niners are whittling away the personel involved, and soon all that will be left is Jed York....and if SF is still the joke that it currently is, then we can all point to that shit kid for blame.

Go Browns.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without being inside the building, it's really hard to say what has happened over the past 3 or so seasons when the franchise has imploded. I try and stay clear of it and focus on what we all know - this organization went from the near top to the near bottom at breakneck speed, and they're all to be held accountable. The Niners are whittling away the personel involved, and soon all that will be left is Jed York....and if SF is still the joke that it currently is, then we can all point to that shit kid for blame.

Go Browns.

Yes, the buck stops at Jed, all the blame is past Baalke and reaching him.

But this is also is why you don't blame him for being involved with the HC search. I did agree the GM should head a selection committee....without Jed. But since the Owner gets the blame, he should know what he's approving, or why he's disapproving.

Anyway, this is now the Owners hardest part...........select the GM.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Jed York involved in searching for the HC? How involved? Is he superceding his GM on those decisions? I honestly don't know, and you hear so many stories that it's almost impossible to fixate on something factual. This is just speculation.....but in general, there are two types of owners - football guys and business guys - and I don't know if York is either.

Come to think of it, I don't know if York knows either. You read how his uncle Ed is firmly in his corner, but is that because of blood or because DeBartolo knows what it takes and believes Jed has it. At the end of the day, I just sit back and see what unfolds. 2-14.

Go Browns.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing that could happen is that Eddie gets the team back. Maybe bring back Carmen.I don't see the Yorks as a football family.