• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin Gutierrez

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point do we consider calling him up?

When he is healthy, he is a juggernaut defensively, and so far he appears to be healthy and he is hitting quite strongly in AAA. I'm not saying that I have anything against Justin Ruggiano, but I think that Gutierrez could be a very strong upgrade both offensively and defensively. It wasn't long ago that this guy was by far the best defensive outfielder in the major leagues and had a tremendous +3.6 dWAR.

Gutierrez has a career line of .287/.344/.474 against lefties with 30 HRs in 354 games against them. Offensively and defensively he offers a strong upgrade over Ruggiano, and if he can stay healthy he could very well make a compelling argument to be an every day player based on what he has done in the past.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we would have to release Weeks which I don't think Jack is ready to do. He did it with Hart last year but waited to later in the summer to do that.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any move to bring up Guti is going to have to be long term. Maybe 3-4 weeks away from anything like that happening, I'm thinking.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weeks can be useful, but I feel like Gutierrez is a lot more useful. Rickie Weeks defense in the outfield has been ugly, and he has not exactly been impressive at the plate. Assuming Gutierrez hasn't lost his athletic ability through his thousands of injuries, by calling him up we would be adding one of the better defensive outfielders in the game.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't played more than 50 games in a season since 2011. You'd be hanging an awful lot on a guy that has proven to be more than a little injury prone over the last 4 years.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the harm would be. Weeks role has been basically been a DH. I'd prefer him in the DH and backup OF role. He can play all 3 spots and if is healthy he is a solid offensive player. You're taking a gamble on his history but Weeks is coming off an injury and adds nothing to this team. 3 years ago he would've been valuable as a veteran presence but now literally brings nothing to team while Bloomquist is on the team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't played more than 50 games in a season since 2011. You'd be hanging an awful lot on a guy that has proven to be more than a little injury prone over the last 4 years.

I get that but why carry him on the roster down in Tacoma then?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any move happens to drop one of our rh platoon corner outfielders (even though cruz has played the majority of the games in the field) we need to be bringing up another pen arm....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May 8th, the day the Mariners retun home from this 9-game road triip. That's when we should make changes if changes still need to be made by then.

Mariners have opened the season with 18 straight games in extreme pitcher's parks. I think we have to give these guys a chance to see if a road trip in hitter friendly parks will get their bats going. Ackley, Zunino and Morrison are who I am referring to.

One thing I don't want to do - watch Ackley and Morrison fumble through the first 110 games of the season again before they finally start hitting. If they still aren't hitting by May 8th, bring up Gutierrez and Montero both. Cut Weeks and find an excuse to DL Ackley or Morrison.

Zunino is completely fucking lost at the plate. They need a better back up catcher than Sucre. Start looking for a trade opportunity. I think we've learned the hard way that Roenis Elias can NOT be part of a trade package. But Ackley, Morrison, Leone, Medina, Sucre, Bloomquist, Farquar, Jones, Romero, Weeks, Gutierrez, Montero, Ruggiano - they are all expendable in my opinion. Even Rodney. I believe Smith could step into the closer role with no problem. Kid has ice water in his veins.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I don't want to do - watch Ackley and Morrison fumble through the first 110 games of the season again before they finally start hitting. If they still aren't hitting by May 8th, bring up Gutierrez and Montero both. Cut Weeks and find an excuse to DL Ackley or Morrison.

Some of this is players just needing a day off. Ackley has played 16 of 18 games (his 2 days off were when he was actually hitting) and he's hitting just .121 since he started cooling down. Zunino hasn't had a true day off, yet, playing in all 18 games (starting 15). Morrison has sat just once and had a five game hitting streak just after. 8 players have a total of 4 days off (I'm sure Seth Smith would have fewer off days had he not gotten hurt the first game, he's only had 4 missed games as it is).

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point do we consider calling him up?

When he is healthy, he is a juggernaut defensively, and so far he appears to be healthy and he is hitting quite strongly in AAA. I'm not saying that I have anything against Justin Ruggiano, but I think that Gutierrez could be a very strong upgrade both offensively and defensively. It wasn't long ago that this guy was by far the best defensive outfielder in the major leagues and had a tremendous +3.6 dWAR.

Gutierrez has a career line of .287/.344/.474 against lefties with 30 HRs in 354 games against them. Offensively and defensively he offers a strong upgrade over Ruggiano, and if he can stay healthy he could very well make a compelling argument to be an every day player based on what he has done in the past.

Can he play 1st base?

<sarcasm>

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but why carry him on the roster down in Tacoma then?

You need to familiarize yourself with how options work for free agents. For multiple, multiple, multiple, multiple reasons, you don't bring him up unless it's a long-term move.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to familiarize yourself with how options work for free agents. For multiple, multiple, multiple, multiple reasons, you don't bring him up unless it's a long-term move.

I already know that...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not true at all, they have 2 guys on the big league roster that aren't long term guys and are easiably replaced by Guti. Weeks needs to be gone for Guti and either LoMo needs to be set down or Ruggiano needs to be DFA'd for Montero IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem with all that. You cut Weeks now and lose him for good while Guti comes up and plays part until his first injury which will happen and then you go to what? Then cut Ruggiano and you have no other CF because Guti will get hurt. Now the Montero for LoMo thing is a toss up in my opinion. Not really sure Montero can hit MLB pitching, but then again we know LoMo can't.

My fear of releasing Weeks before May is that you may find it hard to sign another vet on a 1 year deal if they believe they could be cut that quick like him and Hart. Agents keep track of these things.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pros and cons of not having a bench guy/ Platoon guy with options. Replacing Ruggs or Weeks with Guti just puts you in the same situation with roster flexibility not to mention all three of them are RH hitting outfielders. Just my two cents here but I don't think we see Guti until there is an injury or a major 25 man roster adjustment. Not saying its right just saying what I think this front office will do.

Personally I would rather have Guti on the team over Weeks. Because I feel that Weeks makes the team worse.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pros and cons of not having a bench guy/ Platoon guy with options. Replacing Ruggs or Weeks with Guti just puts you in the same situation with roster flexibility not to mention all three of them are RH hitting outfielders. Just my two cents here but I don't think we see Guti until there is an injury or a major 25 man roster adjustment. Not saying its right just saying what I think this front office will do.

Personally I would rather have Guti on the team over Weeks. Because I feel that Weeks makes the team worse.

Probably true but once you release Weeks you are rolling the dice on Guti with no backup plan unless people are thinking Quentin is an OF still.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true but once you release Weeks you are rolling the dice on Guti with no backup plan unless people are thinking Quentin is an OF still.

worst case backup plan would be to recall Jones I suppose. At least he brings a speed element...just spit balling ideas because I don't really see Weeks having any value. His awful bat doesn't mask his terrible defense in the OF.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true at all, they have 2 guys on the big league roster that aren't long term guys and are easiably replaced by Guti. Weeks needs to be gone for Guti and either LoMo needs to be set down or Ruggiano needs to be DFA'd for Montero IMO.
Crazy moves right now.