• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FOX is talking about Belichek being the best in history

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using your argument the guy teaching Physics 400 at the local college is a greater physicist than Newton because he knows more about physics.

Right, cuz Physics has had no advancements since the time of Sir Isaac :L

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has nothing to do with being a great coach.

You're bouncing around all over the place, bro. Doing a little trollin for fun is one thing, but pretending that BB isn't one of the all time greats or that Lombardi would automatically step right into today's world of free agency/salary cap and most importantly a roster with a number of players making more than him is cray cray.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, cuz Physics has had no advancements since the time of Sir Isaac :L

What ? Of course there have been. That doesn't mean that Johnny Pocket Protector teaching physics today is a greater physicist than Newton was because he's aware of those advances. That's an absurd way to look at it and is the essence of NEPat's greater coach argument. You otoh are sitting in the corner tossing Starr's salad.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ? Of course there have been. That doesn't mean that Johnny Pocket Protector teaching physics today is a greater physicist than Newton was because he's aware of those advances. That's an absurd way to look at it and is the essence of NEPat's greater coach argument.

No actually it's a fact. Hence my question, is the discussion about IQ and ability, or knowledge of the time?

In otherwords if you swapped BB and VL birthdates would the argument be the other way around? I would argue that it would.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ? Of course there have been. That doesn't mean that Johnny Pocket Protector teaching physics today is a greater physicist than Newton was because he's aware of those advances. That's an absurd way to look at it and is the essence of NEPat's greater coach argument.

So the first guy is the best ever?

Newton made the most advances in his day. Others (Einstein, Bohr, Hawking etc) have made his discoveries and theories look like they were written by a 3rd grader. It's the way of the world of discovery and always will be.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking guy probably thinks Jimmy Hendrix is still the greatest guitar player evah!

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Newton made the most advances in his day. Others (Einstein, Bohr, Hawking etc) have made his discoveries and theories look like they were written by a 3rd grader. It's the way of the world of discovery and will always be.

Some of their "advances" were found to be wrong later.

Either way, night to all.:suds:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No actually it's a fact. Hence my question, is the discussion about IQ and ability, or knowledge of the time?

In otherwords if you swapped BB and VL birthdates would the argument be the other way around? I would argue that it would.

I think it's about ability and results. When you bring in knowledge of the time, comparisons between eras are pointless and unfair. Of course the best of today in any arena know more than those of the distant past. But coaching football ain't rocket science. I think it would take Lombardi about a year or 2 to get up to speed if he found himself suddenly in 2015. He was a pretty smart guy. But we're just guessing. BB has done it longer and VL never had a losing season though he inherited bad teams.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Newton made the most advances in his day. Others (Einstein, Bohr, Hawking etc) have made his discoveries and theories look like they were written by a 3rd grader. It's the way of the world of discovery and always will be.

Do you argue with yourself a lot ? You sure have a knack for countering arguments never made.

Some college professor is not a greater physicist than Newton because he knows more about physics than Newton did 300 years ago any more than some football coach today is a greater coach than Vince Lombardi because he knows more about football than Lombardi did 50 years ago.

That's a monumentally stupid way to compare relative greatness and a way that's been used repeatedly in this thread. Standing on the shoulders of giants doesn't make you tall.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're bouncing around all over the place, bro. Doing a little trollin for fun is one thing, but pretending that BB isn't one of the all time greats or that Lombardi would automatically step right into today's world of free agency/salary cap and most importantly a roster with a number of players making more than him is cray cray.

Vince Lombardi is the greatest head coach in NFL history. Why do you think the SB trophy is named after him?
:suds:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick was 36-44 in four seasons as Cleveland's head coach while Vince Lombardi never had a losing season yet you Patriots homers still think Bill was GOAT. :D

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is curious to me is the substantial increase in deep passes with a receiving corp that is depleted.

I'm fine with this... They can still get down the field... What baffles me if how he has run the last 2 weeks to end the 1st half. Terrible, just flat out terrible!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous! Before he learned how to cheat he was fired in Cleveland. The guy is a good coach but I can name 5 without thinking better than him.

Just another reason for Cleveland fans to hate Art Modell.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB is certainly in the discussion.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year before Lombardi took over, the Packers had their worst season ever (1 win) and were considered the dregs of the NFL. They hadn't had a winning record in a dozen years; the last time they'd won the division, we were still fighting WWII and the Nazis.

So for anyone thinking he just took over and "stockpiled" players, that is not at all what he did. He took the worst team in the NFL, a team with one win and no good seasons in 15 years, and never had a losing season after. During his 9 years as Packers coach, the Packers were in the NFL championship 6 times, winning 5 of them.

Bill Belichick is a loser without Tom Brady. I don't believe this is even close. Perfect situation out in NE, and the minute one of the key figures is gone, so is the consistent winning.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A certain quote by Newton sees appropriate: If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Without Newton and a couple hundred people between the time of Newton to Einstein, Einstein would just been a guy with funny hair.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you argue with yourself a lot ? You sure have a knack for countering arguments never made.

Some college professor is not a greater physicist than Newton because he knows more about physics than Newton did 300 years ago any more than some football coach today is a greater coach than Vince Lombardi because he knows more about football than Lombardi did 50 years ago.

That's a monumentally stupid way to compare relative greatness and a way that's been used repeatedly in this thread. Standing on the shoulders of giants doesn't make you tall.

:L

Well, I would certainly defer to you and your expertise at being monumentally stupid.