• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FOX is talking about Belichek being the best in history

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you have to disqualify Bill Walsh for having Montana and Rice, too, right?
I didn't disqualify him, I just said I wouldn't rate him in the top 5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets start with Parcells, shall we? Lets see now, if I recall correctly he won a SB as the Giants headcoach via defense. I wonder who authored the game plan for that game, and is now in the Hall of Fame. Hmmm let me think a second. Maybe you can help?

I'm giving him Parcells even though I think he was a bit overrated, while he couldn't get them over the hump...he brought DAL back from the grave...I would take Bud Grant out and insert Walsh, and no on Coughlin, too many lulls...good enough to rise from those lulls but fortunate to have an oldschool, patient ownership.

As much as I don't want to give it to him because of the various gates and the fact he's really rode one horse for the whole ride...BB has been the best HC of the FA era...if you strip the names away and just look at the accomplishment...incredible in the FA era.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I don't want to give it to him because of the various gates and the fact he's really rode one horse for the whole ride...BB has been the best HC of the FA era...if you strip the names away and just look at the accomplishment...incredible in the FA era.

Agreed. Not much more to add...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving him Parcells even though I think he was a bit overrated, while he couldn't get them over the hump...he brought DAL back from the grave...I would take Bud Grant out and insert Walsh, and no on Coughlin, too many lulls...good enough to rise from those lulls but fortunate to have an oldschool, patient ownership.

Fair enough.:suds:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing HCs from different eras is really pointless. The only thing that remained somewhat constant for gauging greatness is the amount of SB wins. Lombardi era it was mainly a run game. Now it's a pass first game. Rules have changed both on the field and cap related. Players are much more athletic today. Some of today's biggest safties were linemen in the Lombardi era.
My point is all the coaches mentioned were/are great. After all there are only 32 of them every year (minus coaches getting fired). So those that rise to the top are certainley special. If you want to argue a player like TB has made BB you're taking a very narrow approach. Especially with teams like NE where BB decides who to draft. Great coaches come up with a system that works, drafts/trades players that complement that system. Makes tough personnel decisions and hopefully wins a bunch of games.

So if you want to compare coaches compare coaches from the same era. BB clearly the class of his era.