• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fire Kelly

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not happy with Kelly this season but I am willing to give him one more year. I hate a lot of things he's done. I like the bulk of the recruiting.
Being from Wisconsin, and being a casual Badgers fan I am perplexed how every year our recruiting class completely outranks them but year after year they generally have the better team with the exception of last year. Our player development lacks in a lot of areas but so does our on the field coaching. If you look at the number of good players we've put into the NFL lately you have to scratch your head why this team hasn't been more successful.

Either way I'm not for a change at this moment but in all honesty I don't like how Brian Kelly has been so loyal to some of his players like Tommy Rees and Everett Golson. I can't imagine how it must feel for Malik Zaire or Gunner Kiel for that matter sitting and wondering do I actually have a chance.

Late in yesterday's game it seemed like Brian Kelly finally started to go more to the running game and we responded. Even our defense played better. I am not saying the defense played great but getting a few moments of rest doesn't hurt the cause. Special teams have been especially fucking atrocious with the exception of one return finally by Bryant who Kelly has really put in his doghouse. I have a lot of issues with Kelly but my take right at this moment is to give him one more year. Injuries have plagued this team somewhat and so have the suspensions but everyone knows there is no pass at Notre Dame. This has been a very difficult season to swallow because to me we do show quite of a few signs of talent, and unfortunately a lot of wasted talent.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I feel for is Max Redfield. He's a guy the coaches keep telling us is the guy. He's made some mistakes, gets benched for a true freshman who really is more of a linebacker than a safety, or Austin Collinsworth who I am sorry is just way over-rated. The holder and Redfield can't F up, but Golson gets all the rope in the world to hang himself with. That's the kind of mixed signals that will lose the locker room and when that happens, there's really one thing left to do, get a new coach.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not happy with Kelly this season but I am willing to give him one more year. I hate a lot of things he's done. I like the bulk of the recruiting.
Being from Wisconsin, and being a casual Badgers fan I am perplexed how every year our recruiting class completely outranks them but year after year they generally have the better team with the exception of last year. Our player development lacks in a lot of areas but so does our on the field coaching. If you look at the number of good players we've put into the NFL lately you have to scratch your head why this team hasn't been more successful.

Either way I'm not for a change at this moment but in all honesty I don't like how Brian Kelly has been so loyal to some of his players like Tommy Rees and Everett Golson. I can't imagine how it must feel for Malik Zaire or Gunner Kiel for that matter sitting and wondering do I actually have a chance.

Late in yesterday's game it seemed like Brian Kelly finally started to go more to the running game and we responded. Even our defense played better. I am not saying the defense played great but getting a few moments of rest doesn't hurt the cause. Special teams have been especially fucking atrocious with the exception of one return finally by Bryant who Kelly has really put in his doghouse. I have a lot of issues with Kelly but my take right at this moment is to give him one more year. Injuries have plagued this team somewhat and so have the suspensions but everyone knows there is no pass at Notre Dame. This has been a very difficult season to swallow because to me we do show quite of a few signs of talent, and unfortunately a lot of wasted talent.

Gunner Kiel split dude.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gunner Kiel split dude.

Shirley you can't be serious. I thought if he transferred and sat out a year and enrolled at Cincinnati then he could ride the pines for ND and start for Cincy. Come on man.

The point is don't you think Zaire might be thinking how much does Golson have to fuck up before I actually get my chance. Food for thought. :noidea:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point and perhaps I should have curbed my sarcasm and for that I apologize, was Kelly was loyal as all hell with Tommy Rees and also now with Everett Golson. Maybe Gunner Kiel could see how pigheaded Brian Kelly can be. I wished Gunner would have stayed and yes, I've watched some of his Cincinnati games on ESPN this year just because.... Just like I watched Gio Bernard play for North Carolina, just liked I watched Aaron Lynch at South Florida, or Deontay Greenberry at Houston. Yes, I'm that big of a Notre Dame honk that I even watched the recruits play that we missed out on. Just love to see how their doing. Unfortunately I haven't got much of a chance to see the UCLA d lineman Eddie Vanderdoes, and yes, I'm still pissed.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still a little cranky after that game, hope you understand. It takes me a little longer to recover.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point and perhaps I should have curbed my sarcasm and for that I apologize, was Kelly was loyal as all hell with Tommy Rees and also now with Everett Golson.

Loyal to Rees? He had no choice, really.

Deep down, he despised having to settle for Rees as his QB.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,493.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think firing kelly would be the right move. but I did think we would of had a better season then this. we came out of the gate hot to start the season. thats what I think got all our hopes up

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think firing kelly would be the right move. but I did think we would of had a better season then this. we came out of the gate hot to start the season. thats what I think got all our hopes up

Ok ... tell me you lost an avi bet? If so ... curious to whom? :D

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I can tell you is his job is safe this season but if they suffer another like this it won't be next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess give him another year. I don't think we will see a different out come. I think the players are done playing for him. When u lose 3 in a row its clear

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point and perhaps I should have curbed my sarcasm and for that I apologize, was Kelly was loyal as all hell with Tommy Rees and also now with Everett Golson. Maybe Gunner Kiel could see how pigheaded Brian Kelly can be. I wished Gunner would have stayed and yes, I've watched some of his Cincinnati games on ESPN this year just because.... Just like I watched Gio Bernard play for North Carolina, just liked I watched Aaron Lynch at South Florida, or Deontay Greenberry at Houston. Yes, I'm that big of a Notre Dame honk that I even watched the recruits play that we missed out on. Just love to see how their doing. Unfortunately I haven't got much of a chance to see the UCLA d lineman Eddie Vanderdoes, and yes, I'm still pissed.

I think Keil has indicated he never had a problem with Kelly. Rather it was Martin he didn't care for. I believe his lack of PT was the real reason, but my recollection was that he didn't have a problem with Kelly.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess give him another year. I don't think we will see a different out come. I think the players are done playing for him. When u lose 3 in a row its clear

I just don't think they'll fire him with some of his best defensive players being suspended all season and having to play young guys (which is mostly his fault due to how and who he and his staff recruited). However if next year goes this way he'll be done at Notre Dame and like you said we won't see a different outcome but at least the cupboard isn't as bare as when he got here.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a lighter note... hope you folks have a happy Thanksgiving. I'm hoping the weather is kind to those folks up in New York. I hope we can somehow end the season right and beat USC. It's our rivalry game, it's our final chance to make things right.

We're lucky , we have quite a few fans who are loyal and who really care about the team. Recently after our last game I went to another team's message board only to find there wasn't a post made for over a month.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Keil has indicated he never had a problem with Kelly. Rather it was Martin he didn't care for. I believe his lack of PT was the real reason, but my recollection was that he didn't have a problem with Kelly.

Precisely my point. Kiel's real issue was playing time. I'm wondering if Zaire isn't feeling the same way. I can't imagine being in Zaire's shoes wondering what on earth would Golson have to do to get benched, even if it's just on a temporary basis. This is actually one of my biggest problems with Kelly, he didn't have to totally put Golson in the doghouse but he could have thrown Zaire in for a series or two and give him some playing time.

In reality it's not all that different with Bryant. I'd be the first to admit he hasn't always looked great but it just seems like Kelly gets a bug up his ass and the next thing you know your in doghouse #3. He comes across as pretty bullheaded.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not supporting getting rid of Kelly. Be honest with the rag tag bunch I was suprised the game was as close as it was watching how Louisville just destroyed us on the first couple of drives and one of our best d-lineman goes down. Does anyone watch these games and see all the players we have lost on D this year? I have never seen in my lifetime what has happen to this team with injuries and the suspensions. The amount of true freshman that start on the D I have not seen on any other team we played this year. No team can recover from this tell me one that you have seen in top 25 that has had this many players out.

We can talk about the bad play calling and we can question that. I really hated the screen pass wide to the WR I think with d playing that tight makes no sense to me. Red zone O play calling has always been issue with me especially that we are starting to get a ground game going. The tackling ok understand freshmen but the poor tackling is major concern. The big one this year turnovers. Last but not least kicking field goals come on this is so basic.

The Good even the last three losses> The young kids on D have played really well at times which to me gives them game time experiance and with two key players coming back next year this really could be stud D. The fact that they will have two years of this system under thier belts makes next year even more promising.

You talk about not playing for Kelly I actually see this the exact opposite. This team does have the ability to work through some of worst things I have seen on football field and come back to be in every game. With all the turn overs, injuries, suspensions, horrible last minute losses etc... They are in every single game up until the end for maybe for exception of ASU but lets be honest a major fluke pick 6 change the game > Gift pick 6. Robinson makes that play we are driving the ball down the field.

If you have been a fan of the Irsih for long time you must have seen the Faust, Davie, Willingham and Wies era's is this what you want again???

Last edited by a moderator:

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matt, good points. But if next year's team has shitty special teams, poor tackling, excessive turnovers, and only one guy on the field that knows what is going on, and if we play down to weak ass opponents, I will have seen enough.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how some of you say that turnovers, missed field goals, etc. are not BK's fault. It is the coaches job to prepare his team. When a coach says "we just didn't execute" I feel like he is saying "I did my job, but the players failed". Well coached teams rarely fail to execute. ND players have a great deal of wear and tear because we have so few games where the starters can take a quarter off. I have to think that contributes to injuries. ND will likely finish the season unranked. How many teams higher ranked than ND have achieved their success with recruiting classes nowhere as good as what ND has had for many years? Do you think K State, Utah, Colorado State, Minnesota, Boise State have better players? They all are ranked well above ND.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Kelly and bringing in whom? It is the best move to stick with him. If they don't win at least 10 games next year, then I might consider firing him depending on the circumstances.