• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Embarrassing

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I in no way shape or form "support" racism ... hell, I'm hispanic and my wife is half black, I'm just saying that with freedom of speech you can't pick and choose. I think kneeling for the anthem sucks, yet obviously many others feel differently. Ditto being a racist ... I think it's horrible, yet others find it acceptable. I'll take that any day over a government telling me how and what I can think and say (like a Cuba).

I didn't mean to suggest you were a supporter of racism - I understand where you're coming from, I feel the same way - we cannot control how people think or feel. People for better or worse are entitled to their opinions and beliefs, I totally accept that. I get up everyday being thankful that I live in a part of the world where we are not dictated to how we should live our life, where we should work/live, etc. and have that freedom to do and say what we please.

All of the protests and movements that are happening right speaks to a bigger problem that exists, and should not to the level it does in today's society. The use of the American flag and anthem to make the point is misguided, but at least it is a gesture strong enough to get people's attention that what is happening is not right, and we shouldn't look the other way. It's a start - as long as the message, intent and the effort stays positive.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose all those that are opposed to high taxation can sit while the anthem is being played. There are a lot of things that can be protested. Abortion rights ETC. The national anthem should not be belittled in any way.
This is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

Reactions: Rey

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this.

"the right to be racist" is not something I can get behind. I don't believe anyone should be treated differently because of the color of their skin by anyone. That is not what the flag stands for.
HYou don't need to get behind it, you just need to understand it is their right based on our Constitution. The ACLU made sure of that.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HYou don't need to get behind it, you just need to understand it is their right based on our Constitution. The ACLU made sure of that.
I guess I can understand that. You are technically allowed to hate someone based on something as simple as skin color as long as it doesn't have an affect on your world around you?

Like, a racist store owner shouldn't let that kind of bias enter into how he does his job and how he sells stuff?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a perfect world ... people are always going to dislike others. Personal bias will always play a part ... good or bad. If a guy wearing a Cowpoke t-shirt walks into my Agency, there's an automatic 20% up-charge in the price :)

Reactions: CSB

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a perfect world ... people are always going to dislike others. Personal bias will always play a part ... good or bad. If a guy wearing a Cowpoke t-shirt walks into my Agency, there's an automatic 20% up-charge in the price :)
and that would be fine. It is his choice to wear that shirt. Someone can't help what color their skin is.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that would be fine. It is his choice to wear that shirt. Someone can't help what color their skin is.

I was just trying to lighten the mood ... and yes, people can't help their skin color, but you can't "make" someone like someone else. Just like you told me before ... who am I to tell people how to feel?

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This country is not perfect, but I have been to plenty of other countries and having Cuban parents I know plenty about not having freedoms. My wife is also half African American ... so again, I know plenty about black history and their hardships. I won't get too much into this as I come to these forums to talk sports, but to tread on the flag to get people to listen imo is ridiculous. Some of these people need to make a trek to other countries to see just how good they have it here ... despite all it's imperfections.

Rey, that is a big part of the problem. Many protesting, have never felt true injustice or even the inequalities they are supposedly protesting for. Bottom line... they are "CREATING" more division thru their actions... than anything they hope to achieve in bringing people together. They are becoming part of the problem they supposedly are protesting, instead of truly doing anything to bring people together. It's utter ignorance in reality.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not about this country being any better or worse than other countries. The world is a horribly fu**ed up place when you open up your eyes and see what's going on, and it's going on everywhere. This is not about disrespecting the flag. There just isn't a bigger platform than this, to bring awareness to such a huge issue.

Most these Eagle athletes you guys know are great human beings, and do so much for the Philadelphia community. You think they want to disrespect the country they live in? Absolutely not. These men are already made, they're millionaires, and a lot of them seem genuinely grateful. They're fighting for others, and that's brave. Putting your own name in jeopardy to try to make the country, and the world, a better place. The simple fact that any country would be so incredibly patriotic, is one of the main reasons why there is so much divide in the world. You put everyone in a group. Countries, races, genders, sexual orientation, religion, etc….we've put them all into groups, and when you're in a certain group it becomes too easy to judge the other groups and be against them, because they're not like you.

We must keep an open-mind and understand it's not always one side or the other. It's not just supporting the flag, it's not just supporting the cause, it has to be both…but the world is too close-minded. We're all just creatures on planet earth, and where we were born is completely random. Why should we rub it in other peoples face that the land we live on is so much greater than theirs -- shouldn't we just be grateful and pipe down? Shouldn't we stride to become better? Not in any kind of competition with other countries, but just because of the fact that we can be better….a LOT better. Like I said, this is not about disrespecting the flag -- and it's not about taking one side or the other, it's about being open-minded and trying to understand the purpose.

Because this is their profession, they should not allow this to become a distraction. If the whole team wants to unite and stand for a purpose and raise awareness, I will absolutely keep an open-mind to that. I just don't want this to become a distraction.

No offense, but I've watched you be part of groups even in these forums... against others... despite having a huge thing in common.... all Eagle fans... yet there is often such division in this forum that has been there despite people being here for YEARS.. even beyond a decade. There will always be differences in people. And there will be things that "could" bring them together in commonality. People often look for the differences, and you have been guilty of that for as long as I can remember as well.

Bottom line, this is not an act of bringing people together. It is an act of division. Look at the conversation and affects it has had. If they wanted to bring attention to the issue - they have. But not in a positive or productive way. Thus, I'd call this ineffective and stupid. Personally, I'll turn the tv on once the 1st Qtr has begun.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the fact that wealthy privileged players want to cry foul I am equally appalled that Pederson stands behind them and Lurie seems to embrace it.
Not that it matters to them or anyone else I vow to not buy another game ticket, jersey or any other NFL item until the NFL and Lurie put a stop to this bullshit. Hit em in the wallet, thats all the NFL and Lurie care about.
Thank goodness for Fantasy Football cause my passion for the Eagles is nearing an end.
Fuck them and their bullshit cause.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero problem with people exercising their freedom of speech or freedom to demonstrate ... but to not show respect for the symbol that gives them that right? There's no better way to help bring awareness?? C'mon man ...

It's civil disobedience and America has always been a country where those who feel oppressed are free to express themselves. It's actually a tribute to America that people can freely perform protests of this nature without being arrested and called into an interrogation room as is the case in less tolerant countries.

African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos bravely raised their fists as a form of human rights awareness during their medal ceremony at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. In 2005, San Jose State University honored former students Smith and Carlos with a 22-foot high statue of their protest.

Olympics VictorySalute1968.jpg

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I've watched you be part of groups even in these forums... against others... despite having a huge thing in common.... all Eagle fans... yet there is often such division in this forum that has been there despite people being here for YEARS.. even beyond a decade. There will always be differences in people. And there will be things that "could" bring them together in commonality. People often look for the differences, and you have been guilty of that for as long as I can remember as well.

Bottom line, this is not an act of bringing people together. It is an act of division. Look at the conversation and affects it has had. If they wanted to bring attention to the issue - they have. But not in a positive or productive way. Thus, I'd call this ineffective and stupid. Personally, I'll turn the tv on once the 1st Qtr has begun.

lol being a part of a group on these boards, c'mon dude. The division on the board, if there is any, is extremely harmless and should have no impact on our daily life. This is where a bunch of nerds come to talk football, debate, argue, talk shit, it's all harmless. If I have an opinion that others agree with or vice versa, so be it. Doesn't mean we're trying to gang up on anyone. I struggle when arguing on football boards with guys who tell me Sam Bradford is a top 15 QB, or Tim Tebow is a starting caliber QB. Sometimes I do come off a bit aggressive in my argument, but I swear I'm actually a nice guy off the boards! :suds:

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's civil disobedience and America has always been a country where those who feel oppressed are free to express themselves. It's actually a tribute to America that people can freely perform protests of this nature without being arrested and called into an interrogation room as is the case in less tolerant countries.

African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos bravely raised their fists as a form of human rights awareness during their medal ceremony at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. In 2005, San Jose State University honored former students Smith and Carlos with a 22-foot high statue of their protest.

View attachment 148621
I didn't know that story. I was already on the side of "The Flag" represents America (not Rednecks' 'Murica) and all of our [usually] undeniable rights, but now there is even more respect for Jenkins, et al. I'm surprised more players did not participate in this tribute to civil rights awareness, with as much history and meaning that this gesture represented.

And yes, before I'm slammed, I'm fully aware that it was little more than a "gesture", but it's waaaaaaay more than any of us are doing, assuming that "any of us" realize that there is a problem.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey, that is a big part of the problem. Many protesting, have never felt true injustice or even the inequalities they are supposedly protesting for. Bottom line... they are "CREATING" more division thru their actions... than anything they hope to achieve in bringing people together. They are becoming part of the problem they supposedly are protesting, instead of truly doing anything to bring people together. It's utter ignorance in reality.
so what? I have never been homeless and I know that I should help the homeless without being told. With 24-hr media everywhere these days, how can you ignore that sort of thing? Hell, just leaving my house and walking around Baltimore this weekend I could see a shit ton of this kind of thing.

They are "creating more division" because people are unwilling to separate the action of not standing for the anthem and what he is protesting. They are more concerned about "what has he done?" or that he is a shitty QB who they think just wants attention instead of listening to what the problem is.

Colin Kaepernick is not the problem.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's something embarrassing here and it ain't the Eagle's players.

14369991_10209263754603883_6513842545131968071_n.jpg

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the fact that wealthy privileged players want to cry foul I am equally appalled that Pederson stands behind them and Lurie seems to embrace it.
Not that it matters to them or anyone else I vow to not buy another game ticket, jersey or any other NFL item until the NFL and Lurie put a stop to this bullshit. Hit em in the wallet, thats all the NFL and Lurie care about.
Thank goodness for Fantasy Football cause my passion for the Eagles is nearing an end.
Fuck them and their bullshit cause.
You don't have to grandstand for us. The team is just starting to get good. You're not going anywhere. You're gonna buy a Wentz jersey and enjoy the games just like me.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with.”
-Dr. MLK, Letter from a Birmingham Prison

and to you FFL: "People who are fighting for civil rights are tired of hearing that we’re divisive. And we’re tired of calls for unity that are really calls for silence and accommodation. Rather than accepting the false and deceptive claim that our tactics are working against unity, I would ask you instead: What terms of unity would you have us accept?"

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's something embarrassing here and it ain't the Eagle's players.

View attachment 148659

It was "Black Lives Matter" he isn't black. He is white. he doesn't matter. Might as well. I mean, the guys in the back were about 'unity' right?? or only unity of one color??? Hmmm...

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with.”
-Dr. MLK, Letter from a Birmingham Prison

and to you FFL: "People who are fighting for civil rights are tired of hearing that we’re divisive. And we’re tired of calls for unity that are really calls for silence and accommodation. Rather than accepting the false and deceptive claim that our tactics are working against unity, I would ask you instead: What terms of unity would you have us accept?"

I have a quote from MLK hanging in my son's bedroom. My son goes to school out of zone to go to a school that is 90% black. And I grew up only 5 blocks away from where Iverson did (which wasn't the good part of town, but still had a lot of good people in it). So don't give me that chit. The thing that MLK preached was the CHARACTER OF A MAN.. not the COLOR of his skin. That gets overlooked, quite a bit.

I stand by the fact... of measuring the fruit of the actions. MLK faced oppression, but brought people together. Black Panthers simply created division, and 'black' unity - which created more division between people. Where does the fist in the air come from again??? And how did these actions do anything to bring people of all color together??? Absolutely "NOTHING!" But it has caused now INCREASED an issue of division and made an issue that was lesser.. a greater one. I'm not dictating terms... I'm simply observing the affects of the actions that were chosen. They did nothing to bring people together. Just like "black lives matter" create the affect that others do not. That is not unity, and that was not what MLK was about either. So stop using his name for your own purposes instead of what his were.