• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie Lacy

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how Lacy being the #1 means the run game has improved for certain. I could see the run game improving regardless of who starts. I'm hoping the run blocking makes a big leap right from the get go 9 From last years start).
Prior to EL coming aboard, Rawls would most likely be the #1. If Lacey beats out Rawls, IMO that improves our run game.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The running game and success/winning is a bit of a chicken/egg relationship. In general, you run when you have the lead and pass when trying to catch up. When you look at a team's rushing attempts and see they won, do you conclude they won because they ran a lot or did they run a lot because they were winning? I am not even sure it's an either/or, but I hope we are in position to run a lot more in games this coming season.
We have been down 2 TD's at the half before and come out running in the 2nd half. Yet, this was when #24 was our starter.
Pete wants to be a run 1st team and if we can accomplish that, it bodes well for our outlook.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been down 2 TD's at the half before and come out running in the 2nd half. Yet, this was when #24 was our starter.
Pete wants to be a run 1st team and if we can accomplish that, it bodes well for our outlook.

yeah but they were still passing 60%+ of the time in those games after halftime. They just tended to run more on 1st down when they had Lynch when behind but still passed on 2nd and 3rd. I don't think i have ever seen this team use a 50/50 split when down by more than 10 after the first half even WITH Lynch.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving beyond the anecdotal aspect of this, I think whether we return to being a "run first" team depends on several factors. It's not just as simple as deciding to run it more. We'll need a line that can actually block. RW can't have a knee injury all year. And yes, the game situation will need to be conducive to running the ball more, such as having leads in the 2nd half. It would also help if all of our RBs weren't injured like last year too.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie Lacy earned another 55k for weighing under 250lbs. Have to give him credit for keeping his work ethic in check. Hopefully he can keep it up the rest of the off season and during the regular season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving beyond the anecdotal aspect of this, I think whether we return to being a "run first" team depends on several factors. It's not just as simple as deciding to run it more. We'll need a line that can actually block. RW can't have a knee injury all year. And yes, the game situation will need to be conducive to running the ball more, such as having leads in the 2nd half. It would also help if all of our RBs weren't injured like last year too.
All good points. Another thing that may make harder for the running game, is I think the Seahawks will want RW to less a factor in the running game. In other words they may not be to hip with him running going forward. IDK maybe that's just me thinking that would be a good idea. Just feel it's time to quit putting your QB in harms way. He's a QB, let him hand off the ball or pass it. Seems like a good idea to me.:noidea:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. Another thing that may make harder for the running game, is I think the Seahawks will want RW to less a factor in the running game. In other words they may not be to hip with him running going forward. IDK maybe that's just me thinking that would be a good idea. Just feel it's time to quit putting your QB in harms way. He's a QB, let him hand off the ball or pass it. Seems like a good idea to me.:noidea:

The offense moves more fluidly when RW is using his feet. It opens up the playbook keeping the D on its heels. Don't forget when RW scrambles he generally slides before contact or goes out of bounds.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense moves more fluidly when RW is using his feet. It opens up the playbook keeping the D on its heels. Don't forget when RW scrambles he generally slides before contact or goes out of bounds.

Yeah I know that. Still, rather leave the running to the RBs.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the team decided to put him in harm's way any more than I think they can decide not to. It's an output, not an input. The severely twisted ankle plus very porous pass protection made him unusually vulnerable last season. Those things also made it much more challenging to run the ball. I trust RW's athleticism and instincts outside the pocket to keep him from taking big shots more than I trust the OL to do that for him when in the pocket. Gotta pass from the pocket to win in this league, but if we are just identifying where he's more directly in harm's way, I think it's when he's a sitting duck behind what's been the league's worst OL over the past few years.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Seahawks can or will react to Wilson's injuries last year by making him run less this year. His ability to scramble and take off adds another dimension to the offense as others have pointed out. When he's on the move, the defense doesn't know whether he's on the move to pass or run. An offense with Wilson on the move is a less predictable and less defensible offense. Keeping him stationary more often will just open him up to a higher risk of injury until the offensive line gets its crap together in pass protection. The Hawks can gameplan scared of getting him hurt again and I don't think they will.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Seahawks can or will react to Wilson's injuries last year by making him run less this year. His ability to scramble and take off adds another dimension to the offense as others have pointed out. When he's on the move, the defense doesn't know whether he's on the move to pass or run. An offense with Wilson on the move is a less predictable and less defensible offense. Keeping him stationary more often will just open him up to a higher risk of injury until the offensive line gets its crap together in pass protection. The Hawks can gameplan scared of getting him hurt again and I don't think they will.

Spot on!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Seahawks can or will react to Wilson's injuries last year by making him run less this year. His ability to scramble and take off adds another dimension to the offense as others have pointed out

Yes his scrambling and take off are hard to defend, but I like what the Seahawks did with RW in 2015 when they had him getting the ball out of his hands quickly, the offense was really good, with this plan. That helps make up for a leaky OL.

Keeping him stationary more often will just open him up to a higher risk of injury until the offensive line gets its crap together in pass protection.

Not stationary, rather learn how to move within the pocket rather then bail on it quickly. Like Aaron Rogers. This is something RW needs to improve on, he doesn't have a feel on where to move to use his blockers IMO, but think he could learn if he didn't use his scrabbling ability as a crutch.

The Hawks can gameplan scared of getting him hurt again and I don't think they will.

Gameplan scared ? Naaa more like gameplan smart, just like RW going down to avoid big hits....smart, not scared.

Now I know this may come across critical of RW, but I'm not down on him at all. Love the guy. I just think he can be much more then he's been ( which is pretty dang good ). Time to take the next step up. Can't keep counting on athletic ability, that fades rather quickly.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes his scrambling and take off are hard to defend, but I like what the Seahawks did with RW in 2015 when they had him getting the ball out of his hands quickly, the offense was really good, with this plan. That helps make up for a leaky OL.

Not stationary, rather learn how to move within the pocket rather then bail on it quickly. Like Aaron Rogers. This is something RW needs to improve on, he doesn't have a feel on where to move to use his blockers IMO, but think he could learn if he didn't use his scrabbling ability as a crutch.

Gameplan scared ? Naaa more like gameplan smart, just like RW going down to avoid big hits....smart, not scared.

Now I know this may come across critical of RW, but I'm not down on him at all. Love the guy. I just think he can be much more then he's been ( which is pretty dang good ). Time to take the next step up. Can't keep counting on athletic ability, that fades rather quickly.

When your quarterback has the ability to make plays with his feet and you gameplan to minimize his chances of doing that because he got hurt the previous year, that is game planning scared to a degree. It's a direct reaction to his injuries. Now, I can fully get behind continuing his progress in getting the ball out quicker within the pocket to minimize the danger that way, but I don't want them cutting down on the designed QB runs or the zone-read stuff out of fear of him getting hurt again. Teach him ways to minimize potential dangers, yes, but don't take away part of what makes him, him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a natural progression, his running attempts have been trending downward last couple of years.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your quarterback has the ability to make plays with his feet and you gameplan to minimize his chances of doing that because he got hurt the previous year, that is game planning scared to a degree. It's a direct reaction to his injuries. Now, I can fully get behind continuing his progress in getting the ball out quicker within the pocket to minimize the danger that way, but I don't want them cutting down on the designed QB runs or the zone-read stuff out of fear of him getting hurt again. Teach him ways to minimize potential dangers, yes, but don't take away part of what makes him, him.

Agreed. I saw it first hand with Mcnabb. He was a really good QB in his early days using his feet to move the pocket and scrambling when he had too to move the chains and the offense put up points despite his crap WR's. Defenses were kept off balanced and dominated the NFCE early on. The failed part was when they tried to turn Mcnabb into a pocket passer. He was good but not what he was in his earlier days and it showed. Don't go away from what keeps you winning.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a natural progression, his running attempts have been trending downward last couple of years.

His attempts have gone up the last couple of years except last year cause of the injury.

Attempts

2016...72 (injury year)

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His attempts have gone up the last couple of years except last year cause of the injury.

Attempts

2016...72 (injury year)
And in 2015, we passed a lot more at the back end of that season due to injuries to Lynch and Rawls. We signed a couple guys off the street to run the ball that year. There's always more to the story than just numbers.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in 2015, we passed a lot more at the back end of that season due to injuries to Lynch and Rawls. We signed a couple guys off the street to run the ball that year. There's always more to the story than just numbers.

True, but the point of this is don't take away a certain part of his game out of fear of injury.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but the point of this is don't take away a certain part of his game out of fear of injury.
Yep, I get it. And I think the point of getting into the numbers is to understand why RW's running attempts have declined from 2014. It's not because the team is trying to move away from that part of his game. It's a result of other things that were going on with the team/roster.