• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early look @ 53

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some key guys I've seen getting cut, Chris Johnson from Arizona, Matt Asiata from Detroit, Victor Cruz from Chicago. Any chance we go after those guys? Also saw Brock Osweiler got cut, any chance ANYONE goes after him and his prison sentence of a contract? haha

I don't expect them to go after anymore vets after this cut, especially not RB or WR.

If they thought they could find an upgrade to McCullers at back up NT or a TE for Grimble and or JJ's spot, I think they would entertain that...generally speaking, barring a big injury I expect them to go into week 1 with this group.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final 53.

A few wrinkles I didn't expect.

• DL got the head count right at 6, but McCullers made it and both Maxey and Hooks were released...assuming they make it, at least 1 goes to PS...with these concussions Hargrave has had, I think they decided to stay with the big man in base in case Javon misses extended time, and LT is not a full time NT.

• OL...they kept both Feiler and Hawkins to make the count 9...probably did not feel they could get either to the PS and they probably would get taken if they did make it.

• CB...nailed that headcount...I was getting the feeling they were liking Allen, did not want to chance exposing him...Getting something for Cockrell was worthwhile...hard to see him cracking that NYG lineup though...reserve action...not bad for only a 7th rd pick for them.

• Kniles Davis not making it was a bit of a surprise...they like big RBs, they got big RBs.

• WR...Hunter makes it...I think the bomb TD in gm 4 helped tilt the scales to his favor, or maybe there was just more interest in trade for Coates.

@FaCe-LeE-uS ...your thoughts on the final 53?

Edited to note...I thought with McDonald being a good blocking TE they may not need DJ...that turned out to be the case....Grimble sticks.
Had my fantasy football league draft yesterday with all my good friends so I was preoccupied during the roster cuts... Did manage to look it over and saw some eyebrow raisers!

Now that I'm free I'll dig in a little further...

CUTS

QB Bart Houston

RB Trey Williams RB Knile Davis RB Fitzgerald Touissant

WR Marcus Tucker WR Justin Thomas WR Cobi Hamilton WR Demarcus Ayers

TE Jake McGee TE David Johnson

OT Jake Rodgers OT Brian Mihalik OL Keavon Milton OL Ethan Cooper C Ruben Carter C Kyle Friend

DE Lavon Hooks DE Francis Kallon DE Johnny Maxey DT Roy Philon

LB Farrington Huguenin LB Keith Kelsey LB Steven Johnson LB Matt Galambos LB Austin Gearing

CB Brandon Dixon CB JaCorey Shepherd CB Dashaun Phillips CB Senquez Golson S Malik Golden (waived/injured) S Jacob Hagen S Terrish Webb

LS Colin Holba :L:L:L:L:L

53 - ROSTER

QB (3) - Roethlisberger, Jones, Dobbs
No surprises here.
RB (3) - Bell, Conner, Watson
Love the potential here, but scary how inexperienced the group is. Watson earned the spot.
WR (6) - Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Smith-Schuster
Didn't expect them to trade Coates, but I'm glad they got a return on a player that was headed to the chopping block. Like we said, it probably came down to ST role and DHB won that battle. Glad to see Hunter stick around.
TE (3) - James, McDonald, Grimble
Really happy to see Grimble stick! Solid group.
O-Line (9) - Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Hawkins, Hubbard, Finney, Feiler
Didn't expect an extra helmet added for Feiler. I expect he will be the first to go if they need helmets elsewhere.
D-Line (6) - Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Alualu, McCullers, Walton
Very surprised to see Big Dan on here. You're probably right about them being worried about Hargrave. And they must have not liked Walton at DT as much. Really couldn't go wrong though as this group has plenty of depth. Maxey should land on the PS.
LB (9) - Dupree, Shazier, Williams, Harrison, Watt, Chickillo, Fort, Matakevich, Moats
Had a feeling Fort was going to make it. He was a beast this preseason. Nothing surprising here.
CB (7) - Burns, Haden, Gay, Sensabaugh, Hilton, Sutton, Allen
Coach Lake wasn't kidding... 7 hats! We expected Cockrell to get the axe, but didn't see the trade coming. Glad they found some value there. A lot of talent in this group. Much better looking than my original predictions. Allen probably won't see the field much except for ST. Good spot for him to learn & develop. Hope Sutton's injury won't hold him out for long. So long Senquez!
S (4) - Mitchell, Davis, Golden, Dangerfield
No surprises here. Would have looked a lot better had Stafford stuck around. Still waiting to hear what happened with him. Heard he was contemplating retirement, but nothing else.
ST (3) - Boswell, Berry, Canaday
Wow what a waste of a draft pick on Holba. That's embarrassing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers announce practice squad 

PS has been announced...

C Kyle Friend
TE Jake McGee
RB Fitzgerald Toussaint
WR Marcus Tucker
WR Justin Thomas
LB Matt Galambos
S Jacob Hagen
DE Lavon Hooks
LB Farrington Huguenin
CB Dashaun Phillips

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had my fantasy football league draft yesterday with all my good friends so I was preoccupied during the roster cuts... Did manage to look it over and saw some eyebrow raisers!

Now that I'm free I'll dig in a little further...

CUTS

QB Bart Houston

RB Trey Williams RB Knile Davis RB Fitzgerald Touissant

WR Marcus Tucker WR Justin Thomas WR Cobi Hamilton WR Demarcus Ayers

TE Jake McGee TE David Johnson

OT Jake Rodgers OT Brian Mihalik OL Keavon Milton OL Ethan Cooper C Ruben Carter C Kyle Friend

DE Lavon Hooks DE Francis Kallon DE Johnny Maxey DT Roy Philon

LB Farrington Huguenin LB Keith Kelsey LB Steven Johnson LB Matt Galambos LB Austin Gearing

CB Brandon Dixon CB JaCorey Shepherd CB Dashaun Phillips CB Senquez Golson S Malik Golden (waived/injured) S Jacob Hagen S Terrish Webb

LS Colin Holba :L:L:L:L:L

53 - ROSTER

QB (3) - Roethlisberger, Jones, Dobbs
No surprises here.
RB (3) - Bell, Conner, Watson
Love the potential here, but scary how inexperienced the group is. Watson earned the spot.
WR (6) - Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, Hunter, Smith-Schuster
Didn't expect them to trade Coates, but I'm glad they got a return on a player that was headed to the chopping block. Like we said, it probably came down to ST role and DHB won that battle. Glad to see Hunter stick around.
TE (3) - James, McDonald, Grimble
Really happy to see Grimble stick! Solid group.
O-Line (9) - Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Hawkins, Hubbard, Finney, Feiler
Didn't expect an extra helmet added for Feiler. I expect he will be the first to go if they need helmets elsewhere.
D-Line (6) - Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Alualu, McCullers, Walton
Very surprised to see Big Dan on here. You're probably right about them being worried about Hargrave. And they must have not liked Walton at DT as much. Really couldn't go wrong though as this group has plenty of depth. Maxey should land on the PS.
LB (9) - Dupree, Shazier, Williams, Harrison, Watt, Chickillo, Fort, Matakevich, Moats
Had a feeling Fort was going to make it. He was a beast this preseason. Nothing surprising here.
CB (7) - Burns, Haden, Gay, Sensabaugh, Hilton, Sutton, Allen
Coach Lake wasn't kidding... 7 hats! We expected Cockrell to get the axe, but didn't see the trade coming. Glad they found some value there. A lot of talent in this group. Much better looking than my original predictions. Allen probably won't see the field much except for ST. Good spot for him to learn & develop. Hope Sutton's injury won't hold him out for long. So long Senquez!
S (4) - Mitchell, Davis, Golden, Dangerfield
No surprises here. Would have looked a lot better had Stafford stuck around. Still waiting to hear what happened with him. Heard he was contemplating retirement, but nothing else.
ST (3) - Boswell, Berry, Canaday
Wow what a waste of a draft pick on Holba. That's embarrassing.

WR...I thought it was Hunter instead of Coates, that was going to get cut or traded. But I think all along they wanted something for either one of them.

OL...I think Feiler has some trade value.

DL...we'll see how the rotation looks next week, but I'm expecting to see Walton get any backup snaps, and McCullers not get a hat in CLE...I just don't think they want Walton as the primary guy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR...I thought it was Hunter instead of Coates, that was going to get cut or traded. But I think all along they wanted something for either one of them.

OL...I think Feiler has some trade value.

DL...we'll see how the rotation looks next week, but I'm expecting to see Walton get any backup snaps, and McCullers not get a hat in CLE...I just don't think they want Walton as the primary guy.
Not sure if you saw the tweets I posted above, but apparently the Steelers have 54 names on the roster right now since Bell hasn't signed yet. 1 more player will get cut when he signs.

WR... I wonder if Ben had some say in it. He was loving Hunter in camp and he wanted him to stick around. Really thought Ayers would stick around if Knile Davis got cut. I have no clue who is going to fill the KR voids now. Davis & Toussaint were 1st team KR's, then Coates & Hamilton were 2nd team. All 4 are gone... Maybe they scoop someone up & release McCullers? Eli Rogers has been doing some PR, so maybe they give him the KR work as well?

D-Line... Joe Rutter with Tribe Live is thinking Dan gets cut in favor or a KR getting signed. I don't think they could afford to lose a hat on the D-line. My guess is Feiler.

Johnny Maxey didn't make the PS which confuses me. He was a stud.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling ya, that Ayers kid, he gonna make us regret cutting him. Big talent there.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have to cut two guys. McCullers and Sutton to the IR?
Sutton to IR is pretty concrete. McCullers or Feiler getting waived seems more likely since I don't think either is injured.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling ya, that Ayers kid, he gonna make us regret cutting him. Big talent there.

Meh, not really. I'd not be surprised if he barely sees the field elsewhere

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can go pout in his cocoa cocoa puffs for all I care. Steelers have a loaded WR group, he had to know it was a long shot for him.
Yep. And now that he wasn't claimed he's probably even more pissed off lol. Good for you Ayers. Now you've proved to be a bit of a head case. That doesn't look good to the other 31 teams.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll love J.J. when he hits someone, you'll hate him when he misses that hit, or simply can't find his man.
Sounds like more of the same that the Steelers covet in their safeties. Hard hitters but can't cover for shit.