• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early look @ 53

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN
RB 4...BELL*, WILLIAMS, RICHARDSON, TOUSSAINT
FB 1...NIX
TE 4...GREEN**, JAMES, JOHNSON, GRIMBLE
WR 5...BROWN, WHEATON, DHB, COATES, RODGERS
OT 4...VILLANUEVA, GILBERT, HARRIS, HAWKINS
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER
G/C 2... HUBBARD, WALLACE

TOT OFC 26

DEF
DE 4...HEYWARD, TUITT, MATTHEWS, WALTON
DT 2...McCULLERS, HARGRAVE
OLB 5...JONES, DUPREE, HARRISON, MOATS, CHICKILLO
ILB 4...TIMMONS, SHAZIER, V.WILLIAMS, S. JOHNSON
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT
S 4...MITCHELL, GOLDEN, DAVIS, THOMAS

TOT 24

ST 3... WARREN, BOSWELL, BERRY

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 4 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP
***EXPECTED TO START SEASON ON IR DESIGNATED TO RTN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might not hold up completely to week one.

QB, GradK has pulled up lame again with a hammy...idt think he will make it.

RB...If Richardson keeps it up, he will definitely make it intially if Bell does sit for 4.

TE, I've seen the reports about Green possibly not making it or retiring...if so, I think they will go with 3 TEs and Grimble will make it...if Green is cleared to play they may still keep Grimble.

ILB, I'm kind of pulling for Matakevich...reportedly a very smart player...if called on he should at least know where he's supposed to be.

CB...assuming Golson goes on IR, does it make sense to kick the tires on Cromartie for a vet minimum?

Thoughts?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN
FB 1...NIX
WR 5...BROWN, WHEATON, DHB, COATES, RODGERS
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER

TOT OFC 26

DEF
ILB 4...TIMMONS, SHAZIER, V.WILLIAMS, S. JOHNSON
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT

TOT 24

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 4 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP
Excellent first stab at the 53. Assuming no injuries, this may very well be the final product.

This might not hold up completely to week one.

QB, GradK has pulled up lame again with a hammy...idt think he will make it.

RB...If Richardson keeps it up, he will definitely make it intially if Bell does sit for 4.

TE, I've seen the reports about Green possibly not making it or retiring...if so, I think they will go with 3 TEs and Grimble will make it...if Green is cleared to play they may still keep Grimble.

ILB, I'm kind of pulling for Matakevich...reportedly a very smart player...if called on he should at least know where he's supposed to be.

CB...assuming Golson goes on IR, does it make sense to kick the tires on Cromartie for a vet minimum?

Thoughts?

QB... Gradkowski will likely get released sometime soon considering the hammy tear. Does that mean they bring in a FA to compete? The sooner the better. FA pool is mighty thin... Tavaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Mike Vick, TJ Yates, Matt Flynn, Jimmy Clausen, Josh Freeman. Vaughan has a great shot to make the team, but they still need to bring in someone to compete and learn the playbook stat!

RB... Agreed. Richardson should be a shoe-in if Bell serves his suspension.

TE... I like Grimble's chances regardless. Still waiting for some clarity on Green's situation. Not sure what to make of it. But considering his camp interviews I wouldn't think retirement was a reality.

CB... With Golson on IR, I don't see them kicking the tires on Cromartie for the simple fact that they have plenty of outside CBs. I'm not aware of the FA pool, but if there's a better slot suited CB out there then maybe? But if Golson's return is looking to be around week 5, then maybe they shelf the 5th CB spot considering Davis' position flexibility? That would open the door for someone like Matakevich or Feeney to make the 53 for that span.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent first stab at the 53. Assuming no injuries, this may very well be the final product.

QB... Gradkowski will likely get released sometime soon considering the hammy tear. Does that mean they bring in a FA to compete? The sooner the better. FA pool is mighty thin... Tavaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Mike Vick, TJ Yates, Matt Flynn, Jimmy Clausen, Josh Freeman. Vaughan has a great shot to make the team, but they still need to bring in someone to compete and learn the playbook stat!

RB... Agreed. Richardson should be a shoe-in if Bell serves his suspension.

TE... I like Grimble's chances regardless. Still waiting for some clarity on Green's situation. Not sure what to make of it. But considering his camp interviews I wouldn't think retirement was a reality.

CB... With Golson on IR, I don't see them kicking the tires on Cromartie for the simple fact that they have plenty of outside CBs. I'm not aware of the FA pool, but if there's a better slot suited CB out there then maybe? But if Golson's return is looking to be around week 5, then maybe they shelf the 5th CB spot considering Davis' position flexibility? That would open the door for someone like Matakevich or Feeney to make the 53 for that span.

QB...I'm starting to think they feel Landry has enough experience to be the "vet backup" and could very go with Vaughn as QB3 who has shown them something. Of that group of FA you mentioned...I hate to say it, but Vick having been here LY would be my pick, which is why I'd like to see Vaughn make it.

RB...Tomlin likes what he sees in the kid, but is on record saying Toussaint handles the details better, but will they go with 4 RBs? Maybe not, and if he keeps looking good, he might not clear waivers for the PS.

TE...Green, I think if retirement was really a consideration MT would know by now...I'm not certain, but I feel like he will be on the field practicing within a week to 10 days, if not before. That said...4 TEs and 5 WRs is probably the route they will take and that should Grimble on the 53.

CB...definitely the shortfall is slot, my thinking is Cromartie could be insurance in case Davis plays too much like a rookie...move Gay to slot and have an experienced outside guy opposite Cockrell. If Golson's injury looks short term, yeah, I can see them trying to slide in an extra body like Matakevich or Feeney...but the inside CB ranks does look thin...come cut down time I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet CB signed.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB...I'm starting to think they feel Landry has enough experience to be the "vet backup" and could very go with Vaughn as QB3 who has shown them something. Of that group of FA you mentioned...I hate to say it, but Vick having been here LY would be my pick, which is why I'd like to see Vaughn make it.

RB...Tomlin likes what he sees in the kid, but is on record saying Toussaint handles the details better, but will they go with 4 RBs? Maybe not, and if he keeps looking good, he might not clear waivers for the PS.

TE...Green, I think if retirement was really a consideration MT would know by now...I'm not certain, but I feel like he will be on the field practicing within a week to 10 days, if not before. That said...4 TEs and 5 WRs is probably the route they will take and that should Grimble on the 53.

CB...definitely the shortfall is slot, my thinking is Cromartie could be insurance in case Davis plays too much like a rookie...move Gay to slot and have an experienced outside guy opposite Cockrell. If Golson's injury looks short term, yeah, I can see them trying to slide in an extra body like Matakevich or Feeney...but the inside CB ranks does look thin...come cut down time I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet CB signed.

Hopefully after last night's horrible performance by both QBs that thinking takes a 180 soon!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First wave of roster cuts:

IR
OT Jerald Hawkins

Waived/Injured
QB Dustin Vaughn

Released
LB Jordan Zumwalt
LB Mike Reilly
WR Isaac Blakeney
WR Levi Norwood
TE Michael Cooper
DE Giorgio Newberry
DT Khaynin Mosley-Smith
CB Julian Whigham

No surprises other than Hawkins being placed on IR... Did not know that he was injured? And they still have 4 more names to cut before Tuesday's 4pm deadline.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 1st wave of cuts & accounting for injuries... Here's an updated stab at the 53:

POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN, RENNER
FB 1...NIX
WR 5...BROWN, WHEATON, DHB, COATES, ROGERS
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER

TOT OFC 26

DEF
ILB 4...TIMMONS, SHAZIER, V.WILLIAMS, S. JOHNSON, MATAKEVICH
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT, WHITE?

TOT 24

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 3 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP

Since Hawkins was placed on IR, it is starting to make sense why we are seeing Hubbard playing OT. I think that could open the door for Matakevich to make the 53. He is certainly making a very strong case for sticking around. As for the 5th CB slot while Golson is on IR-recall, I'm thinking either White or Garner will make the 53 for those first 4 weeks. Not sure who will win the job, but its completely up for grabs. Unless Davis can cover the slot for the short term... That flexibility could also open the door for Matakevich & another OT (Feiler?). FO definitely has options!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First wave of roster cuts:

IR
OT Jerald Hawkins

Waived/Injured
QB Dustin Vaughn

Released
LB Jordan Zumwalt
LB Mike Reilly
WR Isaac Blakeney
WR Levi Norwood
TE Michael Cooper
DE Giorgio Newberry
DT Khaynin Mosley-Smith
CB Julian Whigham

No surprises other than Hawkins being placed on IR... Did not know that he was injured? And they still have 4 more names to cut before Tuesday's 4pm deadline.

Hawkins...yeah I knew he was hurt, but wasn't expecting IR...no other surprises...Zman finally bit the dust...just goes to show the LB depth has improved.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 1st wave of cuts & accounting for injuries... Here's an updated stab at the 53:

POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN, RENNER
FB 1...NIX
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER

TOT OFC 26

DEF
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT, WHITE?

TOT 24

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 3 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP

Since Hawkins was placed on IR, it is starting to make sense why we are seeing Hubbard playing OT. I think that could open the door for Matakevich to make the 53. He is certainly making a very strong case for sticking around. As for the 5th CB slot while Golson is on IR-recall, I'm thinking either White or Garner will make the 53 for those first 4 weeks. Not sure who will win the job, but its completely up for grabs. Unless Davis can cover the slot for the short term... That flexibility could also open the door for Matakevich & another OT (Feiler?). FO definitely has options!

Idt they have shown this in any games yet, but for the 1st time all camp/preseason...they practiced some dime...Gay in the slot with Burns going to RCB, Golden in the box and Davis to SS with Mitchell at FS taking Timmons off the field.

Butler has admitted Davis has been getting baptized by fire, but growing in the position. With Burns now finally healthy enough to go full out, Davis will not likely line up in slot vs WAS.

This makes the most sense as each player is playing a position they're familiar with...still has a rookie in a tough spot. We can be sure Gruden will target Burns, but can't hide him.

OL...yeah...pretty much a lock for Hubbard now, and maybe they find a way to keep Matakevich is they don't keep Finney as the extra inside OL.

CB...White probably survives the 75 roster, but maybe not the 53...I have to think they are scanning the waiver wire for another CB with slot experience now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 4 cuts to 75...

Released:
Jacob Hagen
Devante Sigler
Kevin White

Placed on Reserve/PUP:
Ladarius Green

Notes:
*Hagen's release means Shamarko is locked in. I guess Vinopal is still around, but doubtful he unseats him.
*White's release surprised me. I thought he'd at least make it to the 2nd wave of cuts. That leaves Washington, Garner & Shabazz as the last of the group contending for Golson's spot while he sits on IR-recall.
*Curious why they haven't released any info on Gradkowski's injury. Are they playing coy hoping for everyone to overlook them as they hunt for a QB3? Doubt Bruce's injury is worthy of letting him eat up a roster spot during the season while he heals? Probably a month out at the minimum.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 4 cuts to 75...

Released:
Jacob Hagen
Devante Sigler
Kevin White

Placed on Reserve/PUP:
Ladarius Green

Notes:
*Hagen's release means Shamarko is locked in. I guess Vinopal is still around, but doubtful he unseats him.
*White's release surprised me. I thought he'd at least make it to the 2nd wave of cuts. That leaves Washington, Garner & Shabazz as the last of the group contending for Golson's spot while he sits on IR-recall.
*Curious why they haven't released any info on Gradkowski's injury. Are they playing coy hoping for everyone to overlook them as they hunt for a QB3? Doubt Bruce's injury is worthy of letting him eat up a roster spot during the season while he heals? Probably a month out at the minimum.

Gradkowski is a waist... 2 years and both spent on the IR....fuck that noise!!!!

I'm wondering how long they try and ride Green, I read that they could cut him and seek the money back because his health was an issue before they signed him!!!!! Nothing against the guy, but if you are having headaches for this long, you should call it a career!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gradkowski is a waist... 2 years and both spent on the IR....fuck that noise!!!!

I'm wondering how long they try and ride Green, I read that they could cut him and seek the money back because his health was an issue before they signed him!!!!! Nothing against the guy, but if you are having headaches for this long, you should call it a career!!!!

Green...I don't disagree with you...very frustrating situation.

He has been placed on the PUP...will miss the 1st 6 weeks and maybe the guy gets to hit the re-start button then, but so far, he's been a bigger waste than Gradk.

The real battles seem to be at ILB...Matakevich imo has shown enough to make it, but Johnson and Fort are good ST players and have more experience.

RB...do they keep 4 until Bell is ready week 4?

TE...WR looks set at 5 now, do they keep 3 TEs with Green on the shelf for 6 weeks...if so Grimble probably makes it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially after last nights game, I don't expect Fenney to make the 53...actually he shouldn't make the 53, but I love this kid's talent ceiling...really hoping he makes it to the PS.

He's really miscast as an OLB in this system...he has ILB written all over him to me.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd Wave of Roster Cuts to 53:

Waived/Injured
Dustin Vaughn

Signed/Claimed
Zach Mettenberger

Released:
OLB Travis Feeney
OT Matt Feiler
RB Brandon Brown-Dukes
OT Wade Hansen
DL Lavon Hooks
OG Shahbaz Ahmed
S Ray Vinopal
OG Antoine Everett

So far they are down to 67... More cuts to come

Big names here are Feeney & Feiler. Feeney was the team's 6th Rd draft pick this year. He is a very raw but talented player who struggled with injuries all offseason. If they can sneak him onto the PS and pack some pounds on his frame, he could be an interesting player to watch next offseason. Feiler was competing for the vacant spot left by Hawkins. Now it looks like Hubbard is a lock to backup the OT positions (scary). I read somewhere that he was "waived" so he may have been injured. Could still make it onto the team's IR. Also, with Vinopal out, Dangerfield has a great shot to make the 53.

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Down to 66

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd Wave of Roster Cuts to 53:

Waived/Injured
Dustin Vaughn

Signed/Claimed
Zach Mettenberger

Acquired Via Trade:
Justin Gilbert

Released:
OLB Travis Feeney
LB Steven Johnson

OLB Jermauria Rasco
OT Matt Feiler
OT Wade Hansen
QB Bryn Renner
RB Brandon Brown-Dukes
RB Cameron Stingily
DL Lavon Hooks
DE Caushaud Lyons
DE Johnny Maxey
OG Shahbaz Ahmed
OG Antoine Everett
S Ray Vinopal
WR Demarcus Ayers
WR Marcus Tucker
WR Cobi Hamilton
CB Montell Garner
CB Doran Grant
CB Al-Hajj Shabazz
CB Donald Washington

Holy crap there are some surprises in here... Biggest being the trade for Justin Gilbert. But the release of Doran Grant has me scratching my head. He was having a good offseason. Trade probably had something to do with it. Ayers was definitely beat out by Eli Rogers, so I'm not very surprised. And the release of Steven Johnson has Matakevich locked in! Love it!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 2nd wave of cuts & accounting for injuries... Here's an updated stab at the 53:

POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN, RENNER, METTENBERGER
FB 1...NIX
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER
G/C 2... HUBBARD, WALLACE, FINNEY

TOT OFC 26

DEF
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT, WHITE, GILBERT

TOT 24

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 3 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP

Question is... Do Bell, Green & Golson count against the 53? I don't think Bell & Golson do? Not sure how PUP works for Green. I know he won't be able to work with the team until week 6. But if all 3 do not count, then who fills the slots? I plugged Finney in because I think Wallace might be a week or 2 away from playing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is LJ Fort makes the 53 in place of Steve Johnson... And Matakevich makes it as well.

Will the team shop for another RB? Karlos Williams & Bishop Sankey are out there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read that under the current CBA rules, players on IR-recall must count against the 53 for 24 hours. My guess is after the 24-hours Doran Grant will be resigned.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 2nd wave of cuts & accounting for injuries... Here's an updated stab at the 53:

POS #...PLAYERS

OFC
QB 3...ROETHLISBERGER, JONES, VAUGHN, RENNER, METTENBERGER
FB 1...NIX
C 1... POUNCEY
OG 2...DECASTRO, FOSTER
G/C 2... HUBBARD, WALLACE, FINNEY

TOT OFC 26

DEF
CB 5...GAY, COCKRELL, GOLSON***, BURNS, GRANT, WHITE, GILBERT

TOT 24

ROSTER 53

*SUSPENDED 1ST 3 GMS
**CURRENTLY ON PUP

Question is... Do Bell, Green & Golson count against the 53? I don't think Bell & Golson do? Not sure how PUP works for Green. I know he won't be able to work with the team until week 6. But if all 3 do not count, then who fills the slots? I plugged Finney in because I think Wallace might be a week or 2 away from playing.

S...currently showing 5 and I think Dangerfield is the 5th S right now.

ILB...showing 5 here also, and Fort made it

OT..only 3, with Hawkins on IR...interesting only 7 OL overall

TE...also 3, Green won't count until he comes off PUP

RB...3 yeah Bell won't count either until week 4