• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early look @ 53

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good find. Still feel he's a good trade.

Hunter to CHI for Fuller really is a win/win for both teams...have to keep an eye on that...PHI was hot after Fuller, but I think they just got a vet CB in another deal.

The general feeling I'm getting is TE head count might be 4...Grimble is back into the picture and McGee still has a lot of support.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter to CHI for Fuller really is a win/win for both teams...have to keep an eye on that...PHI was hot after Fuller, but I think they just got a vet CB in another deal.

The general feeling I'm getting is TE head count might be 4...Grimble is back into the picture and McGee still has a lot of support.
Now with the trade for McDonald thinks get a little murkier. Not sure why they thought this was necessary? Im' guessing we will get answers soon to bring this trade into focus.

Niners trade Vance McDonald to Steelers for draft pick

Curious why they didn't just go after Barnidge?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with the trade for McDonald thinks get a little murkier. Not sure why they thought this was necessary? Im' guessing we will get answers soon to bring this trade into focus.

Niners trade Vance McDonald to Steelers for draft pick

Curious why they didn't just go after Barnidge?

TE...I think more than anything they were not content with what they saw from the 4 main guys. JJ may be #1 on this depth chart but if we're honest with ourselves, he's not a legit TE1.

Barnidge...good question. He's 4 yrs younger than Gary, but something has to be up with Barnidge though...makes no sense for him still to be out there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@ATL96Steeler ... We predicted the move on Adams. So long Odom. Maybe he returns the PS, but I'd rather see McGee on there.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler's first crack at the 53:

QB (3): Roethlisberger, Jones, Dobbs
Dobbs was a nice storyline early in the preseason, but Jones -- who has started at least two games in each of the past two seasons -- is entrenched as the primary backup. Dobbs can learn behind the scenes
RB/FB (4): Bell, Conner, Watson, Nix
Watson's 80 yards on 15 first-half carries in the preseason finale was hard to ignore. He got a chance to earn a roster spot and capitalized in Carolina. The Steelers have several options: Fitz Toussaint, Knile Davis, Watson and Trey Williams have had positive moments in the preseason. But Toussaint has a leg injury and Davis didn't look quite explosive enough.
WR (6): Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Smith-Schuster, Heyward-Bey, Hunter
Roethlisberger is intrigued by Hunter's big-play potential, and Sammie Coates, despite his athleticism, probably hasn't done enough since returning from a knee injury to win a job. Hunter's 58-yard touchdown catch Thursday punctuated his job status. The Steelers could keep Coates over Heyward-Bey, but the veteran is a core special-teamer and a coaches' favorite. Cobi Hamiltonand Demarcus Ayers are tough cuts, too.
TE (4): James, McDonald, Johnson, Grimble
The Steelers can keep four tight ends as the newly acquired McDonald learns the offense. But the roster is ever-evolving. James is likely the starter for Week 1, though the Steelers could configure a few James-McDonald sets early in the year. Johnson and Grimble are both stout blockers, but neither is guaranteed a spot.
O-LINE (8): Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Finney, Hubbard, Hawkins
This lineup is pretty settled. Hubbard is the swing tackle, Finney is the top reserve on the interior and Hawkins can back up Villanueva at left tackle. The Steelers could roll with eight linemen and stash Brian Mihalik and/or Matt Feiler on the practice squad.
D-LINE (6): Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, Maxey
The top-five rotation is the deepest the Steelers have had in years, leaving Maxey or Dan McCullers as wild cards for the sixth spot. Time is running out on McCullers, who's in his fourth year and has seen limited preseason work.
LB (9): Dupree, Shazier, Williams, Harrison, Watt, Matakevich, Fort, Moats, Chickillo
Keeping inside linebackers Matakevich and Steven Johnson would be ideal, but the numbers don't quite work and Johnson has missed time with an undisclosed injury. Moats and Chickillo have proven to be valuable backups and core special-teamers.
DB (10): Burns, Haden, Cockrell, Gary, Sensabaugh, Sutton, Davis, Mitchell, Dangerfield, Golden
The acquisition of Haden could make Cockrell expendable, but for now he stays on as a reliable swing corner. His $1.797 million restricted tender is not guaranteed for skill, so he shouldn't feel safe. Oft-injured Senquez Golsonentered camp with much to prove but hasn't seen the practice field in a month. Hard to keep him. Sutton has shown glimpses of his third-round ability and will get a chance here. Hilton has made a strong case but it might not be enough. A safety battery of Davis-Mitchell-Dangerfield-Golden seems secure.
ST (3): Boswell, Berry, Holba
Boswell and Berry look comfortable as third-year starters. Both had strong training camps. Pittsburgh has two good long-snappers in Holba and Kameron Canaday, but the draft pick prevails here.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

Matt Marczi from Steeler Depot...his final 53 projection.

Marczi: 2017 Final 53-Man Roster Prediction - Steelers Depot
Interesting!

Lavon Hooks over Johnny Maxey? I saw it on the field in the preseason, but I think Maxey has been hampered in some capacity. I think he's reading too far into it there. Maxey would be my guy.

No Cockrell or Grimble. Seems to be the trend with the additions of Haden & McDonald. I like how he has Brian Allen in there, even though I'm not entirely sure he's ready to play in the NFL. Hopefully he has carved out a good role on ST.

Is Ayers even eligible for the PS? I thought if you play x-amount of regular season games it makes you ineligible? BUt I can never seem to keep those rules straight. And they seem to change a lot.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler's first crack at the 53:

QB (3): Roethlisberger, Jones, Dobbs

RB/FB (4): Bell, Conner, Watson, Nix

WR (6): Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Smith-Schuster, Heyward-Bey, Hunter

TE (4): James, McDonald, Johnson, Grimble

O-LINE (8): Villanueva, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Finney, Hubbard, Hawkins

D-LINE (6): Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, Maxey

LB (9): Dupree, Shazier, Williams, Harrison, Watt, Matakevich, Fort, Moats, Chickillo

DB (10): Burns, Haden, Cockrell, Gary, Sensabaugh, Sutton, Davis, Mitchell, Dangerfield, Golden

ST (3): Boswell, Berry, Holba

TE...I'm not sure about 4...I can see them going with 3 and adding Allen to the CBs

WR...Hunter, or Coates...ST favors Coates.

OL...I did hear that Hawkins turned the corner a few weeks ago after a slow start...he might actually be 1st man up at LT over Hubbard...I still think it boils down to Feiler and Hawkins.

DL...McCullers is done, Hooks or Maxey to round out depth.

CB...Hilton might be the opening day starter in the slot...Does Cockrell stick? Gay? I think they want to keep Allen onboard the 53...has he shown enough to get plucked off the PS? idk, but it wouldn't surprise me either way...he's thinking 6, I think 7.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE...I'm not sure about 4...I can see them going with 3 and adding Allen to the CBs

WR...Hunter, or Coates...ST favors Coates.

OL...I did hear that Hawkins turned the corner a few weeks ago after a slow start...he might actually be 1st man up at LT over Hubbard...I still think it boils down to Feiler and Hawkins.

DL...McCullers is done, Hooks or Maxey to round out depth.

CB...Hilton might be the opening day starter in the slot...Does Cockrell stick? Gay? I think they want to keep Allen onboard the 53...has he shown enough to get plucked off the PS? idk, but it wouldn't surprise me either way...he's thinking 6, I think 7.
OL... Still not a believer in Hawkins. He started at RT with Hubbard at LT yesterday. And he had multiple missed blocks. Good news is I think both still make it.

CB... I'd prefer Hilton to start in the slot. But something tells me if Gay is still on the roster then he'll be the opening starter. Sensabaugh has a lot of experience in the slot as well, but if Cockrell is gone he would be the primary backup outside. Maybe even starts while Haden gets up to speed. But Tomlin said he was going to be throwing Haden into the deep end or something like that. So that may mean Haden will be the starter against the Browns. That would make a nice storyline, something Browns fans will loathe.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting!

Lavon Hooks over Johnny Maxey? I saw it on the field in the preseason, but I think Maxey has been hampered in some capacity. I think he's reading too far into it there. Maxey would be my guy.

No Cockrell or Grimble. Seems to be the trend with the additions of Haden & McDonald. I like how he has Brian Allen in there, even though I'm not entirely sure he's ready to play in the NFL. Hopefully he has carved out a good role on ST.

Is Ayers even eligible for the PS? I thought if you play x-amount of regular season games it makes you ineligible? BUt I can never seem to keep those rules straight. And they seem to change a lot.

DL...Hooks/Maxey...I haven't seen enough of either one to make a call...I might try to gain some insight there.

CB...I like 7. As we've said, with Sensabaugh getting some looks inside and outside, does it make sense to keep Cockrell? Personally I think Cockrell is better than Gay, but I have a feeling Ross will get released.

TE...I like 3...with McDonald proving to be a solid blocker...will DJ make it?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB... I'd prefer Hilton to start in the slot. But something tells me if Gay is still on the roster then he'll be the opening starter. Sensabaugh has a lot of experience in the slot as well, but if Cockrell is gone he would be the primary backup outside. Maybe even starts while Haden gets up to speed. But Tomlin said he was going to be throwing Haden into the deep end or something like that. So that may mean Haden will be the starter against the Browns. That would make a nice storyline, something Browns fans will loathe.

Me as well. If he's not, it won't be long. If Gay starts week 1, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hilton take over mid game and be the guy going forward...there are several people that think Hilton will be the week 1 starter...we shall see.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers practice squad rules and eligibility for 2017

To be eligible for the practice squad a player cannot have spent more than three previous seasons on any NFL practice squad before. He also cannot have more than two accrued seasons to his name, a season in which a player was on a 53-man roster, or injured reserve, or PUP for six or more regular-season games. However, of the 10 practice squad names, only four players in the group can have as many as two accrued seasons.

Guess that stipulation makes Ayers eligible?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
practice-squad-20172.png

If I had to choose out of this group:

1. Ayers WR
2. Watson RB
3. McGee TE
4. Friend OL
5. Hooks DL
6. Galambos LB
7, Allen CB
8. Hagen S
9. Huguenin OLB
10. Hilton CB

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some key guys I've seen getting cut, Chris Johnson from Arizona, Matt Asiata from Detroit, Victor Cruz from Chicago. Any chance we go after those guys? Also saw Brock Osweiler got cut, any chance ANYONE goes after him and his prison sentence of a contract? haha

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you that Davis and Toussaint won't be in the backfield for the Steelers!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have we released our cuts yet?? I'm not finding them anywhere.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final 53.

A few wrinkles I didn't expect.

• DL got the head count right at 6, but McCullers made it and both Maxey and Hooks were released...assuming they make it, at least 1 goes to PS...with these concussions Hargrave has had, I think they decided to stay with the big man in base in case Javon misses extended time, and LT is not a full time NT.

• OL...they kept both Feiler and Hawkins to make the count 9...probably did not feel they could get either to the PS and they probably would get taken if they did make it.

• CB...nailed that headcount...I was getting the feeling they were liking Allen, did not want to chance exposing him...Getting something for Cockrell was worthwhile...hard to see him cracking that NYG lineup though...reserve action...not bad for only a 7th rd pick for them.

• Kniles Davis not making it was a bit of a surprise...they like big RBs, they got big RBs.

• WR...Hunter makes it...I think the bomb TD in gm 4 helped tilt the scales to his favor, or maybe there was just more interest in trade for Coates.

@FaCe-LeE-uS ...your thoughts on the final 53?

Edited to note...I thought with McDonald being a good blocking TE they may not need DJ...that turned out to be the case....Grimble sticks.

Last edited: