• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft and Free Agency Question

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the game on the way home from work and was thinking the same thing lakersrule. I was trying to figure out what the hell they were doing in the last minute besides fouling everyone their brother. Sometimes I wonder what B. Scott is thinking.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have this many young guys, improvement isn't a straight line. It happens in fits and starts. Earlier in the season, there was virtually no ball movement. Since the all-star break, we have been seeing more and longer periods of time where they move the ball well and look like they know what they are doing. However, they are still prone to long periods of time where the ball sticks in guys hands too long.

In short, the GSW and Orlando wins showed us how good they can be, while games like last night remind us how far they still have to go to get to where they want to be.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, that did come to mind as well, TJF12. At times though, I wonder what it is going to take to get some consistency.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, that did come to mind as well, TJF12. At times though, I wonder what it is going to take to get some consistency.

Me too. More time is what it takes though. This is a complete rebuild, something we've never really experienced, so it does get frustrating.

Just for a little perspective. Some have suggested that what the Lakers are doing is similar to OKC. In 2007-08 OKC (then the Seattle Supersonics) brought in Kevin Durant and went 20-62. In 2008-09, they drafted Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka, brought in Thabo Sefolosha and improved all the way to 23-59. In 2009-10, they drafted James Harden and along with what they already had, were able to improve to 50-32.

I don't know if the Lakers will improve that fast, as OKC had a few more solid vets than the Lakers do, but if that's the course the Lakers follow, I'm good with it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once LSU was left out of the NCAA tournament, their coaches decided to turn down any other tournament invites. The coach said it was because he needs to start preparing the team to be better next year and because of a season ending injury to a key player.

Rumors are starting to circulate though, that it may be because Ben Simmons was no longer academically eligible.

Him not being academically eligible on it's own doesn't bother me because it's not like the kid was going to be on campus for 1 minute past the end of the basketball season anyway. However, if it was the reason that LSU turned down other tournament invites, that would bother me because it shows he didn't care enough about his teammates to bother going to class.

If true, maybe the Lakers would be better served to get Ingram?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Simmons saga is beginning to look a little like the Robert Upshaw story.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once LSU was left out of the NCAA tournament, their coaches decided to turn down any other tournament invites. The coach said it was because he needs to start preparing the team to be better next year and because of a season ending injury to a key player.

Rumors are starting to circulate though, that it may be because Ben Simmons was no longer academically eligible.

Him not being academically eligible on it's own doesn't bother me because it's not like the kid was going to be on campus for 1 minute past the end of the basketball season anyway. However, if it was the reason that LSU turned down other tournament invites, that would bother me because it shows he didn't care enough about his teammates to bother going to class.

If true, maybe the Lakers would be better served to get Ingram?

From what I've read, he didn't care much about his teammates when playing games either with his lacksadasical defensive effort and selfish highlight pass seeking. His shine seemed to have dulled as the college season progressed.

Ingram looks to me like he'll develop into a really nice NBA player. He has the length and athleticism you want in a wing. He'll add the strength. He can hit the three. He can finish at the rim. He can play defense. He'd fit in perfectly with the current youth.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea lakersrule. Like I stated, the more that people scrutinize Simmons they are finding a host of problems. This is what happened to Upshaw. If they draft Simmons, perhaps it would be wise to send him to the D-Fenders for some seasoning as Upshaw is now emerging as an excellent player with skills!

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea lakersrule. Like I stated, the more that people scrutinize Simmons they are finding a host of problems. This is what happened to Upshaw. If they draft Simmons, perhaps it would be wise to send him to the D-Fenders for some seasoning as Upshaw is now emerging as an excellent player with skills!

They cut Upshaw due to a drug violation. He's done with the Lakers.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I forgot that latest set-back. Some guys just do not have what it takes mentally to enter and compete in the NBA. After all that hard work, he throws it away by returning to the vomit that got him in trouble in college to begin with. I guess you can't fix stupid.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Simmons saga is beginning to look a little like the Robert Upshaw story.

This is nothing like Upshaw at all. Upshaw had numerous disciplinary issues throughout his time in college and was a borderline prospect from the start. Simmons is a top prospect and is just a kid that was forced to go to college for a year because the rules make him do so. It's not a big deal at all that he had academic issues. He was never there for that reason. His game is fine. Put in him the pros where he belongs and wants to be, and all these molehill mountains people are making will disappear.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say really. The Lakers 2 biggest needs are small forward and center. The mock draft I looked at had Jaylen Brown from Cal going #3. Labissiere was #8 and was listed as the first center taken.

According to most "experts" the drop off after Simmons and Ingram is a bit steep. The Lakers might be better served to trade that pick either on it's own or in some kind of package that doesn't include Russell, Randle or Clarkson depending on what they can get in return.
In a perfect world, we'd be able to trade that 3 pick for Boogie

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob Poetl out of Utah, imo. Mocks have him in the 6 to 10 range but outside of Simmons I think he's fairly easily the safest player in the draft. At worst he's going to be a capable starting center, likely could be ready to play right now. His ceiling probably isn't all time worthy but I could easily see him making a couple of all star games down the road.
I really wanted to catch him in one of utah's games in March madness games, but I never got the chance to. We do need a capable center though

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted to catch him in one of utah's games in March madness games, but I never got the chance to. We do need a capable center though

He has excellent footwork and is a load in the paint. He reminds me of Marc Gasol, but I'm not sure if he has Gasol's range. Like Gasol, he's also more athletic than he looks.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has excellent footwork and is a load in the paint. He reminds me of Marc Gasol, but I'm not sure if he has Gasol's range. Like Gasol, he's also more athletic than he looks.
If he has the skill of Marc Gasol in the paint, then I'll take it

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has the skill of Marc Gasol in the paint, then I'll take it

Me too. He ain't Gasol yet. But from what I've seen of him, the foundation is there. Like wildturkey said, he's not going to be an all-timer, but he could definitely be a very solid center and probably get himself into a couple of all-star games. In today's NBA, that's plenty good enough, especially if the Lakers young talent keeps developing and they can add a top FA or 2 to the mix.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was better that you didn't. He got wrecked by Gonzaga and that probably would have left a sour impression. One game is just one game though. He's really solid overall. Any other year he's probably mid round lottery pick but with this draft being so weak, I have no problem taking him at #3

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was better that you didn't. He got wrecked by Gonzaga and that probably would have left a sour impression. One game is just one game though. He's really solid overall. Any other year he's probably mid round lottery pick but with this draft being so weak, I have no problem taking him at #3
Well, the way I look at it, if we're gonna compete with the Warriors one of these years, we'll need a solid big man(amongst other things) to do it, so I'm on board

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retro

gotta remember Randle and Russell are rookies ( with Randle missing his rookie season with the broken leg ). they are already showing more than what I expected from them at this point. another offseason to continue to work, no Kobe around to distract them from playing the way they can play because Kobe commands so much of the ball, etc will go a long way for these guys.

if they can add Simmons or Ingram and a solid/all star center ( not named Cousins ), this team will make a HUGE leap forward next season.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, with Hibbert offering very little on the court, I am really surprised Scott doesn't play Black more to see if he works better with the young guys.

it's not like Hibbert is putting up double-doubles. most days he is 6 & 5. just about any center could put those numbers up every game.