• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft and Free Agency Question

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the Lakers hang on to their top 3 pick and get the #1 or #2 pick, obviously they take Simmons (if #1) or Ingram (if #2). Both project to small forward in the NBA which just happens to be the position played by this summers biggest FA prize Kevin Durant (Lebron doesn't count because he's not leaving).

So, if the Lakers get the #1 or #2 pick, do they go after Durant anyway? Or do they use the money to go after Whiteside or another center, upgrade the bench and save some for the 2017 FA class?

Do they use the pick as trade bait? Or use one of the core group of young guys as trade bait to maybe try something like prying Westbrook from OKC a year early?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if they end up with Simmons, I wouldn't mind them staying out of the KD sweepstakes and focus on a center. I like Hibbert, but he just doesn't fit well with what the Lakers are trying to do. I wouldn't mind them keeping him as a backup to someone like Whiteside, Drummond or Horford. But he just doesn't fit as a starter in a lineup of Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Simmons/Ingram, imo.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many directions the front office can go this summer, especially if they hold onto to the pick. Regardless, you go after Durant hard. He's too good not to. They can afford Durant along with another max player such as Whiteside.

I don't watch college ball. I do watch highlights of them though. I like Ingram's game. He would be the better fit alongside the current youngsters than Simmons in my opinion. He can hit from long range, he can attack off the dribble, and he can lock down on defense. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Simmons yet, but I don't see the transcendent game that lots are raving about. Okafor was the clear #1 pick early last season but was surpassed by KAT and Russell.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Ingram and Simmons compatible to play other positions ie. PF or SG too? If so, definitely go for Durant.

Our main priorities will be Center and SF but I don't know how many 'better than average' players will be available in free agency though.

Another interesting concept would be trading the pick if it does fall in to the #1 or #2 spot and then going for Durant or DeRozan too. Would Sacramento be interested in trading for Cousins if they know they could possibly get Simmons for it.

A pipe dream of course but

C - Cousins
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

and we'd be contenders instantly.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are Ingram and Simmons compatible to play other positions ie. PF or SG too? If so, definitely go for Durant.

Our main priorities will be Center and SF but I don't know how many 'better than average' players will be available in free agency though.

Another interesting concept would be trading the pick if it does fall in to the #1 or #2 spot and then going for Durant or DeRozan too. Would Sacramento be interested in trading for Cousins if they know they could possibly get Simmons for it.

C - Cousins
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

I think Cousins could be had this summer. It would take at least Simmons to get him. Likely some other pieces as well. It's such a toxic situation up there that a new start is likely necessary. A Cousins-Randle frontcourt would be punishing. I'm back on board with Whiteside. Because of his defense, I like his fit alongside Randle. He'd be a nice roll man for the guards. Regardless, the Lakers desperately need an upgrade at center. SF as well like you said.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C - Cousins
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

Ohh man, that looks great!!!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more likely scenario is Whiteside. Cousins is probably going to stay with the Queens because he and Karl get along nicely and Durant is in no rush to come to the Lakers. The W's have a better chance of signing Durant than the Lakers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah you got after Durant. You do that regardless of what happens in the draft. Simmons is a non-issue. The kid appears to have the skillset to play multiple positions. And if its Ingram, meh. Gimmie too much talent than not enough. Figure it out later.

There are many directions the front office can go this summer, especially if they hold onto to the pick. Regardless, you go after Durant hard. He's too good not to. They can afford Durant along with another max player such as Whiteside.

I don't watch college ball. I do watch highlights of them though. I like Ingram's game. He would be the better fit alongside the current youngsters than Simmons in my opinion. He can hit from long range, he can attack off the dribble, and he can lock down on defense. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Simmons yet, but I don't see the transcendent game that lots are raving about. Okafor was the clear #1 pick early last season but was surpassed by KAT and Russell.

Right now I'd peg him as Draymond Green on steroids from day 1. He's essentially a point forward. We could plug him in at the 3 or 4 and he'll make plays for everyone around. Obviously his ceiling is much higher, but he's got the talent to be a facilitating foward from the get go. It's possible he can even play some smallball 5. With the right coach and scheme, you could blitz the hell out of teams with Russell, Clarkson, shooter, Rande/Nance, and Simmons on the floor at the same time (we need to pick up a shooter for spacing).

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more likely scenario is Whiteside. Cousins is probably going to stay with the Queens because he and Karl get along nicely and Durant is in no rush to come to the Lakers. The W's have a better chance of signing Durant than the Lakers.
Well darnn can I dream for few hours :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They don't get along that nicely.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would want to have that mentally ill, little child on your team? He'd be worse than Dwightmare in the locker room and Karl has had to tolerate this sick bastard to keep the team from completely going into chaos mode. That is what I mean by "getting along".

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No lie, I literally had a dream that we nabbed the number 2 spot in the draft this year..but moving on, if we get the 1 or 2 spot, I'd keep it and still go after Durant(even though I see him staying in OKC for a year). If it's the 3 spot, I'd see if we could go after Cousins. Ingram is a better fit for us at the moment because he can space the floor, but I'd take Simmons for the long haul, because if, and when he develops a jump shot in the future, it's a wrap for everybody. As for Whiteside, I'm still iffy on going after him, but man I must admit that he is putting up some NICE numbers this year...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C - Cousins
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

Yeah, I get how good KD is, but if the Lakers get Simmons or Ingram, they would be coming off the bench. That might be ok with them for a season or 2, but after that?

If one moves to PF, then what do we do with Randle? I know the Lakers can afford 2 max players, but do they really need to go get 2 max players with all of the young talent that will get to grow together? Why not use a max deal for a center and then get higher end role players instead of MLE type guys? Essentially spreading that 2nd max deal over more players.

The idea of trading the pick for Cousins is interesting, he is young and arguably the most talented center in the game. I worry about his attitude though. Maybe a change of scenery does him good, but do we want to find out at the expense of not getting a guy like Simmons? I do agree though, that the lineup shown by Shaqdaddy would mean pretty much instant contention.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gimmie too much talent than not enough. Figure it out later.

Good point. Too much talent is a good problem to have and Simmons is a swiss army knife, so maybe it could work.

As much as I hate to breakup what seems to be a strong developing backcourt with Russell and Clarkson, maybe Clarkson becomes the 6th man. Or maybe Simmons is the 6th man for a season or 2, since he can play multiple positions.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Too much talent is a good problem to have and Simmons is a swiss army knife, so maybe it could work.

As much as I hate to breakup what seems to be a strong developing backcourt with Russell and Clarkson, maybe Clarkson becomes the 6th man. Or maybe Simmons is the 6th man for a season or 2, since he can play multiple positions.

Those two could still be on the floor with Simmons. It'd likely be Randle that would have to hit the bench barring we don't get a SF like Durant in FA. If we don't get a SF, then all 4 could play together pretty easily. Simmons is a facilitator for sure, but I don't think that necessarily means you have to take one of the guards off the floor. It'd be similar to how Lebron takes over for certain plays in Cleveland or like how I made the Green comparison; park him at the elbows and have the guards run off screens and cuts (like Steph and Klay do) and have him hit the right read.