• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did the Broncos improve their offensive line enough?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just keep thinking that instead of Von getting all the pass rushers together from around the league to practice their craft, he should have grabbed our Olineman and had a clinic on "how do you stop this"...

could not hurt

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just keep thinking that instead of Von getting all the pass rushers together from around the league to practice their craft, he should have grabbed our Olineman and had a clinic on "how do you stop this"...
Don't we just call that "training camp"? :noidea:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Free Agency and the Draft - training camp for the front office?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hilariously true. And it's even better since that douche rocket who owns the team, when not busy getting himself arrested for drinking and driving, took the time to say in 2013, "We're building a different kind of team." Irsay was of course referring to the Manning era Colts, perhaps in an attempt to justify his cutting of Manning in a year where Manning was re-writting the QB record books. He threw it that "star wars numbers" comment as well. Since making that comment the Colts' high water mark was getting to the AFCCG where they were crushed 45-7. The Broncos added a third Lombardi in the mean time.

The Colts have also missed the playoffs two consecutive years and in years where the winner of the AFC South was 9-7 so it's not like they were up against a juggernaut. And if I'm right about the Titans the Colts likely don't have much shot at the playoffs this year either.

So I guess Irsay was right: they build a different kind of team. The Manning era Colts pretty much always won 10+ games and reached the playoffs. The Luck era Colts...

IT is crazy how much they have tried to make the Colts exactly like what Manning had. They put money and resources into the skill positions and ofr the most part ignore the OL thinking the QB can overcome a lack of a quality OL. Manning did it for years so Luck should be able to as well.

The issue with such thinking is that they are running 2 completely different systems. Manning was getting the ball out so quickly that yes it negated having a great OL to hold up. He knew where he was going before the snap of the ball and had it out of his hand faster than all but maybe a couple of QB's every single season. The Colts now are running what I like to call the Norv Turner system. They like the 5-7 step drops and play action to try and hit the deep ball. Well Norv's system worked great with the Cowboys when they had a great OL and RB that was a huge threat and same when he was with the Chargers of great OL and huge threat at the RB position. Teams had to pause and respect all of that giving Rivers plenty of time. Once the OL started to crumble and Tomlinson took a step in the wrong direction well the entire offense fell apart. Had some of his worst years at that point.

Right now the Colts would do so much better to invest everything in the OL and RB position and stop worrying about the WR/TE position. You can have mediocre players at those positions and still make that system work. You can't have a mediocre OL/RB and make that system work.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't the QBs practicing with the WRs training camp as well? ;)
Yeah I know. Just playing on the fact our OL goes up against Miller on a regular basis. I don't doubt though that more seasoning outside of camp would do them some good .

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else "gagging" at Irsay's statue ceremony for Peyton like I am? Can't stand that owner. He seems to be trying desperately to make sure that PFM is forever connected to the Colts and not ever a part of the Broncos two Superbowls in the last 4 years.

Not sure about the O-line improvements. Last year I was optimistic. Everything looked pretty damn good on paper but as we all know, that didn't turn out well. If our QB can get the ball out quicker, that should help and I'm assuming that will be a focus. However, the rest of the O-line is still a giant question mark in my opinion. One of my favorite signings of the offseason was Leary. I do think he'll bring some nastiness to our line.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else "gagging" at Irsay's statue ceremony for Peyton like I am? Can't stand that owner. He seems to be trying desperately to make sure that PFM is forever connected to the Colts and not ever a part of the Broncos two Superbowls in the last 4 years.

Not sure about the O-line improvements. Last year I was optimistic. Everything looked pretty damn good on paper but as we all know, that didn't turn out well. If our QB can get the ball out quicker, that should help and I'm assuming that will be a focus. However, the rest of the O-line is still a giant question mark in my opinion. One of my favorite signings of the offseason was Leary. I do think he'll bring some nastiness to our line.

What is tough for me to understand a little bit is that Okung and Stephenson actually started out the season looking at least average. Same with Schofield. They all regressed big time as the season went on. Stephenson I think some of it was that early injury as he never got back to that same playing ability. Okung though his pass blocking fell apart and he was committing terrible penalties that cost us a few touchdowns. Schofield just started getting blown back. Garcia and Paradis are about the only 2 that actually improved as the year went on.

So hopefully since those are the 2 remaining starters they can continue that upward trend and now surround them with some better talent.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is tough for me to understand a little bit is that Okung and Stephenson actually started out the season looking at least average. Same with Schofield. They all regressed big time as the season went on. Stephenson I think some of it was that early injury as he never got back to that same playing ability. Okung though his pass blocking fell apart and he was committing terrible penalties that cost us a few touchdowns. Schofield just started getting blown back. Garcia and Paradis are about the only 2 that actually improved as the year went on.

So hopefully since those are the 2 remaining starters they can continue that upward trend and now surround them with some better talent.

I don't disagree and wonder if a more experienced QB and the change in coaching staff can't get more out of the returners to our O line squad. Of course Okung has moved on but I haven't given up all hope for Schofield and Sambraillo yet. Probably just the homer in me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree and wonder if a more experienced QB and the change in coaching staff can't get more out of the returners to our O line squad. Of course Okung has moved on but I haven't given up all hope for Schofield and Sambraillo yet. Probably just the homer in me.

I'm interested to see how the new Sambrailo does. He finally got to work out this offseason and he looks completely new as a player. Instead of the pudgy dad bod player of the past 2 years he looks like he grew mountains for shoulders over night. So maybe his new found strength can finally make him the player he was supposed to be when we took him in the 2nd round. Schofield for me is more of a swing type player. You like to have him on the team because honestly he could probably play all 5 positions if needed. Heck last year he played LT, RT, and RG during training camp for us because of some injuries. So nice back up to have on the team to save some roster spots.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how the new Sambrailo does. He finally got to work out this offseason and he looks completely new as a player. Instead of the pudgy dad bod player of the past 2 years he looks like he grew mountains for shoulders over night. So maybe his new found strength can finally make him the player he was supposed to be when we took him in the 2nd round. Schofield for me is more of a swing type player. You like to have him on the team because honestly he could probably play all 5 positions if needed. Heck last year he played LT, RT, and RG during training camp for us because of some injuries. So nice back up to have on the team to save some roster spots.

As they say, "hope springs eternal" at this time of year but I'll join you in your curious optimism. Hey, we're Broncos fans! That's how it works!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As they say, "hope springs eternal" at this time of year but I'll join you in your curious optimism. Hey, we're Broncos fans! That's how it works!

Well history is a bit on our side that the organization figures it out. I mean less losing seasons than Super Bowl trips is a pretty good indicator of consistent success.