• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Mikie Mahtook, CF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. James McCann, C
8. Alex Presley, RF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C Alex Avila, OF Jim Adduci, IF Dixon Machado, IF/OF Andrew Romine.

Starting pitcher: LHP Matthew Boyd

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera can't hit a ball out of the infield, but that's okay... Iggy is our new power threat.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera can't hit a ball out of the infield, but that's okay... Iggy is our new power threat.

Put Cabrera on the DL for the rest of the season. Tigers can give whatever excuse(s) they want to give. That way they can avoid listening to the speculation from the media and fans that Cabrera is washed up (and actually 40 years old?). Bring up John Hicks to play 1B along with Adduci - and if they can't get anything of worth for him - Avila.

Keep an eye on the Dodgers and Kershaw this coming week. Kershaw was put on DL with back problems (he has had them before), so Dodgers might be inclined to make a big move to get a starting pitcher. Would they take a chance on Verlander? If I am JV, I get with my agent and see what I can do, financially, to get a trade done so he and Katie can get to the west coast. Maybe extend the contract to reduce total cost or postpone part of the money owed? If Kershaw is going to be out for awhile....this might be Detroit's best shot a moving Verlander's contract....even if they get little in return but reduced team salary.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand this is bitching and hissy-fits about Miggy. He is human he is having an off year and the idea of sitting him for the rest of the year is batshit crazy. If you were going to sit anybody sit Victor Martinez and bring Hicks up to play first and DH

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching matchups vs. KC
Justin Verlander (5-7) is slated to start the opener tonight against the Royals. He'll be opposed by Kansas City right-hander Jason Hammell (4-8, 4.81 ERA). Tuesday night, Michael Fulmer (10-7) is scheduled to start against the Royals' Danny Duffy (6-6, 3.71). The starters for Wednesday's series finale have not been announced although it's likely to be Anibal Sanchez (2-0) starting for the Tigers.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand this is bitching and hissy-fits about Miggy. He is human he is having an off year and the idea of sitting him for the rest of the year is batshit crazy. If you were going to sit anybody sit Victor Martinez and bring Hicks up to play first and DH

This was part of an ESPN article from late June....

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been struggling with multiple injuries, but he refuses to use that as an excuse for what he believes has been a poor season to this point.
The two-time AL MVP and 11-time All-Star selection has been dealing with back, oblique and groin strains and picked up a hip flexor issue Thursday.

If he is dealing with stuff like this....why not let him heal for a month or so? If Detroit really had a chance for a playoff spot, he would need to play. But they don't, so let him heal.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was part of an ESPN article from late June....

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has been struggling with multiple injuries, but he refuses to use that as an excuse for what he believes has been a poor season to this point.
The two-time AL MVP and 11-time All-Star selection has been dealing with back, oblique and groin strains and picked up a hip flexor issue Thursday.

If he is dealing with stuff like this....why not let him heal for a month or so? If Detroit really had a chance for a playoff spot, he would need to play. But they don't, so let him heal.
The dude would prolly play with one leg.

Good luck telling him he's sitting.

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't see it happening. Nor am I gonna be upset with a guy who demands he play. There aren't enough people that fight thru things anymore.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude would prolly play with one leg.

Good luck telling him he's sitting.

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't see it happening. Nor am I gonna be upset with a guy who demands he play. There aren't enough people that fight thru things anymore.

I think pride might get him to take time off. If he sees his numbers continue to drop and he continues to add nothing to the team's offense, I think he'll see the sense in sitting for awhile.

Kershaw out 4-6 weeks! NOW is the time for the Tigers to move Verlander. Cut the cord. Do it for Katie! :)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am
I think pride might get him to take time off. If he sees his numbers continue to drop and he continues to add nothing to the team's offense, I think he'll see the sense in sitting for awhile.

Kershaw out 4-6 weeks! NOW is the time for the Tigers to move Verlander. Cut the cord. Do it for Katie! :)
i don't see that happening with Miggy.

Why would he all of a sudden not want to play? This is a guy who straight up ignores base coaches and most likely hasn't asked his franchise for help with anything aside from a ride home from
Hail.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have just a three-player bench after outfielder Jim Adduci was optioned to Triple-A Toledo and pitcher Drew VerHagen was called up after Sunday's game against the Twins.

Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Presley, RF
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. Alex Avila, C
8. Mikie Mahtook, CF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C James McCann, IF Dixon Machado, IF/OF Andrew Romine

Starting pitcher: RHP Justin Verlander

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verhagen is garbage. That one thing Miamvice talked about that I never agreed with.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could rid themselves of Verlander's contract, would they resign JD? I would not think so....but who knows? Verlander will be owed $56 million after this season is over. I would think JD's next contract will be well more, in total, than that. If he doesn't fall apart in AZ, JD stands to make around $18-20mil a year on his next contract...depending on its length (4-5 years).
VMart? He has no value. Would not surprise me if Detroit ends up eating most of his $18mil next year.

He actually might be closer to $25 mil plus.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs still talking about Verlander and Avila. Can't really see it. The Cubs prospect list is pretty bare now. The only way it would make sense for Detroit is if Chicago took on most of Verlander's contract and Detroit settled for a couple of low level prospects. A simple salary dump.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Mikie Mahtook, CF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. James McCann, C
8. Andrew Romine, RF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C Alex Avila, OF Alex Presley, IF Dixon Machado.

Starting pitcher: RHP Michael Fulmer

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to sell Verlander to a team like LA with a good farm and offer to pay half if not more of the contract. I would also look into seeing what Fulmer could haul. If he could get 4 top 100 prospects with 2 being top 25 and the other 2 being 70-100, I would consider it. That would instantly make the Tigers' farm system top 15 if not top 10. Also they need to fire some of the minor league coaches and scouts. It's quite evident that those staffs need rebuilding because they have never been able to develop any positional prospects of worth in the last 20 years, Travis Fryman being the last one.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs still talking about Verlander and Avila. Can't really see it. The Cubs prospect list is pretty bare now. The only way it would make sense for Detroit is if Chicago took on most of Verlander's contract and Detroit settled for a couple of low level prospects. A simple salary dump.

They need to sell Verlander to a team like LA with a good farm and offer to pay half if not more of the contract.

Both ESPN and CBS Sports are reporting that a Verlander trade is just too complicated to happen by the deadline. The Tigers are in between that proverbial "rock and hard place" ... they either eat 40% or more of Verlander's contract to get a top-level prospect, essentially paying him to play somewhere else, or they unload a bigger chunk of the money and get garbage in return.

Sonny Gray and Yu Darvish are more tradeable to the clubs that have decent prospects (Dodgers and Astros).

Things would certainly be easier if Verlander was above .500 in wins and had an ERA closer to 3.50 than 4.50.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking all along, that the off season is the best time to trade Verlander. If for no other reason than fan "unhappiness" at the loss of a franchise face won't be as great then. It is a pity that moving a team icon is the only way to quickly bring down salary.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking all along, that the off season is the best time to trade Verlander. If for no other reason than fan "unhappiness" at the loss of a franchise face won't be as great then. It is a pity that moving a team icon is the only way to quickly bring down salary.

Hearing reports that the Tigers would be willing to trade Fulmer with Zimmerman for not much in return if the trading team takes all of Zim's contract. That would bring about a little more than fan "unhappiness".

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the base running coach???????

This team is very bad.:agree:

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing reports that the Tigers would be willing to trade Fulmer with Zimmerman for not much in return if the trading team takes all of Zim's contract. That would bring about a little more than fan "unhappiness".
What do the Ilitch's care about "fan unhappiness". They're putting 30 K in the stands every night, so keep that MINOR league product out there and the fools will come.