• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2017 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Verlander

Oddly, the Astros are still interested in Verlander - under two conditions. 1. Justin Wilson is part of the deal, and 2. Detroit swallow a portion of Verlander's contract.
If Detroit is interested in chopping team salary, this might be something to think about. Get little in return but cut 10's of millions of dollars from the payroll.
Sure would make a statement....but....I'd be a little worried with Avila making the deal. Wait until winter on Verlander.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Verlander

Oddly, the Astros are still interested in Verlander - under two conditions. 1. Justin Wilson is part of the deal, and 2. Detroit swallow a portion of Verlander's contract.
If Detroit is interested in chopping team salary, this might be something to think about. Get little in return but cut 10's of millions of dollars from the payroll.
Sure would make a statement....but....I'd be a little worried with Avila making the deal. Wait until winter on Verlander.

I am all for chopping team salary AND getting younger. But Houston is something like 15 games up in the West. If they want these two guys, it's strictly to deepen their rotation and bullpen for the postseason. Therefore, I wonder how generous they would be with prospects. Avila needs to get at least one Top 100 prospect, and one just outside the Top 100, to not come off looking like a complete sucker.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for chopping team salary AND getting younger. But Houston is something like 15 games up in the West. If they want these two guys, it's strictly to deepen their rotation and bullpen for the postseason. Therefore, I wonder how generous they would be with prospects. Avila needs to get at least one Top 100 prospect, and one just outside the Top 100, to not come off looking like a complete sucker.

OF Derek Fisher and pitching prospect out of Houston's top 25 and I'd call it a win, if Tigers didn't have to eat more than a third of JV's contract.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Mikie Mahtook, CF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. James McCann, C
8. Andrew Romine, RF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C Alex Avila, OF Alex Presley, OF Jim Adduci, IF Dixon Machado.

Starting pitcher: RHP Michael Fulmer

Royals lineup

1. Whit Merrifield, 2B
2. Jorge Bonifacio, RF
3. Lorenzo Cain, CF
4. Eric Hosmer, 1B
5. Salvador Perez, C
6. Mike Moustakas, 3B
7. Alcides Escobar, SS
8. Brandon Moss, DH
9. Alex Gordon, LF

Starting pitcher: LHP Danny Duffy

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game pretty much proves Aumus is an utter joke.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game pretty much proves Aumus is an utter joke.

I was out on a date, looked up at one point, it was 4-0 KC, next time I looked it was 8-0 KC.... WTF happened?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was out on a date, looked up at one point, it was 4-0 KC, next time I looked it was 8-0 KC.... WTF happened?
While the pitching was bad, Ausmus not being able to manage the pitching staffed magnified the failures.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the pitching was bad, Ausmus not being able to manage the pitching staffed magnified the failures.

The pitching was bad...and Ausmus did not know how to handle it???????

How about the defense giving up 4 runs in the first - three errors.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like a for-sure series win after we won the two games started by Zimmermann and Boyd. Not to be. This team is just damn frustrating. Win 4 of 5 out of the break and get a little interest going, now they will likely lose 4 of 5.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching most of Thurs nite games.....I went and put some of my extra suitcases up on ebay. I figure the Tigers are starting to 'pack it up' for the year....and might need some suitcases. They can get Cardboard boxes at Staples.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are reportedly willing to pay the rest of Justin Verlander’s remaining 2017 salary in order to facilitate a deal, Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports. This works out to roughly $10.89MM. Reports earlier this week indicated that Detroit was open to including some money as part of a Verlander deal, though according to rival executives who have spoken with Fenech, the Tigers would need to bump that figure up to $25MM-$30MM if the club hopes to receive a good prospect return for Verlander.

My thoughts exactly. If Tigers would be satisfied with 'lesser' prospects in return...perhaps offer around $20mil. I like the idea of adding Justin Wilson in to the trade to either bring down the cash Detroit eats, or raise the quality of prospects gained in return.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Avila, C
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. Mikie Mahtook, CF
8. Alex Presley, RF
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C James McCann, IF/OF Andrew Romine, OF Jim Adduci, IF Dixon Machado.

Starting pitcher: RHP Anibal Sanchez

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are reportedly willing to pay the rest of Justin Verlander’s remaining 2017 salary in order to facilitate a deal, Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports. This works out to roughly $10.89MM. Reports earlier this week indicated that Detroit was open to including some money as part of a Verlander deal, though according to rival executives who have spoken with Fenech, the Tigers would need to bump that figure up to $25MM-$30MM if the club hopes to receive a good prospect return for Verlander.

My thoughts exactly. If Tigers would be satisfied with 'lesser' prospects in return...perhaps offer around $20mil. I like the idea of adding Justin Wilson in to the trade to either bring down the cash Detroit eats, or raise the quality of prospects gained in return.
The tigers are trying to dump salaries I get that. Is the only way to dump salary to trade someone or buy the player out? And how much salary would be reasonably expected they will be able to dump? If they are able to dump a sizable amount could you see them aggressively trying to re-sign JD Martinez?
In my opinion the Tigers must find a way that Victor Martinez is not on the team next year. His salary and his are huge negatives.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tigers are trying to dump salaries I get that. Is the only way to dump salary to trade someone or buy the player out? And how much salary would be reasonably expected they will be able to dump? If they are able to dump a sizable amount could you see them aggressively trying to re-sign JD Martinez?
In my opinion the Tigers must find a way that Victor Martinez is not on the team next year. His salary and his are huge negatives.

If they could rid themselves of Verlander's contract, would they resign JD? I would not think so....but who knows? Verlander will be owed $56 million after this season is over. I would think JD's next contract will be well more, in total, than that. If he doesn't fall apart in AZ, JD stands to make around $18-20mil a year on his next contract...depending on its length (4-5 years).
VMart? He has no value. Would not surprise me if Detroit ends up eating most of his $18mil next year.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win last nite. Sanchez another good start and let's hope Zimmermann can do the same. Victor goes deep twice after I dish him. Who should I dish today?

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewers intersted in Kinsler..... they are not often in this position to get into the playoffs what have they got to give up?

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VMart was a worthwhile DH when he was batting .300 and was an RBI machine. Now, batting around .260, with little power, and his knack of grabbing those RBI.gone...his value as a DH is nil, when you throw in a total lack of speed and inability to fill in anywhere.
If VMart ends the season in the same situation as he is now, Detroit should listen to ANY offer a team makes for him....even if they have to pay 90% of his contract. If there are no takers? Swallow the money. The goal is for the team to get younger and more athletic.

PS: Swallowing $18mil will be a lot easier for a new GM who can blame the 'mistake' on his predecessors.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy out with a bruised collar bone....

Tigers lineup

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Presley, RF
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Alex Avila, C
5. Nicholas Castellanos, 3B
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. Mikie Mahtook, CF
8. Andrew Romine, 1B
9. Jose Iglesias, SS

Bench: C James McCann, OF Jim Adduci, IF Dixon Machado, 1B Miguel Cabrera (injured).

Starting pitcher: RHP Jordan Zimmermann.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win last nite. Sanchez another good start and let's hope Zimmermann can do the same. Victor goes deep twice after I dish him. Who should I dish today?
Cabrera for his season.