• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

decision should come end of next week

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wish it could be safe to assume whoever doesn't play on Saturday is found guilty and whoever plays got cleared. Wish it was that simple but who the hell knows

I'm sure the ones that are dinged will waive confidentiality and talk. We know Davaris Daniels will, given his and his dad's twitter activity.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will find out on Tue. Whoever is back on the practice squad assume they are good to go. Who isn't is gone. I think we get 1-2 players back, lets just hope its Russell and Daniels.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still kind of feel like this not disclosing seems a little odd considering with Golson they came out and said he was suspended due to academic issues without saying what that issue was. If these guys were really guilty wouldn't they announce the same thing? To me it is them just trying to save face for dragging it out for so long.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still kind of feel like this not disclosing seems a little odd considering with Golson they came out and said he was suspended due to academic issues without saying what that issue was. If these guys were really guilty wouldn't they announce the same thing? To me it is them just trying to save face for dragging it out for so long.

I agree, I think the school knows they screwed up. So they are trying to save face right now. I have no idea how they can make it up to the players but they can start by letting them practice and playing.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the word "punishment" anywhere in the statement you quoted. They did say the results of the review would be confidential, so presumably whatever sanction, or no sanction, will not be disclosed. The key word is "if" any were deemed ineligible, the school will self-impose and report to NCAA for further review, which is nothing but a reiteration of what Jenkins said in the press conference what, six weeks ago now? I think the school is appearing proactive to the NCAA but if this is a purely academic matter, it doesn't seem likely that it will be an NCAA issue. All comes down to whether the helper qualifies as an "extra benefit". With the NCAA having rules on snacks for Christ's sake, who knows.

Opening paragraph of the Chicago Trib article that I linked (see below). I dunno, the wording regarding 'any punishments given' struck me as odd. I would've liked to have read it phrased as 'any potential punishments given' ... :noidea:

With the honor code hearings for the five suspended players in Notre Dame's academic fraud investigation complete, the school said Sunday it will not disclose any punishments given to those involved but will report its findings and any potential self-imposed sanctions to the NCAA.
Vice president of public affairs Paul Browne said in a statment that the players may reveal the results of their rulings if they so choose -- which means keep an eye on Twitter and Instagram over the next week.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, was only looking at the text you had from the school's statement. I guess that's the trib writer's words, not necessarily the school's. Lemmie guess, Haugh?

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, was only looking at the text you had from the school's statement. I guess that's the trib writer's words, not necessarily the school's. Lemmie guess, Haugh?

No, the original quote I had came from BR, I believe.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the original quote I had came from BR, I believe.

This is what I was referring to, and it was, I believe, the University's press statement or what was originally quoted in The Observer:

"Hearings for those withheld from football were completed on Friday. Decisions will be communicated individually to affected student-athletes and other students alike, as deliberations on each case conclude. As with other student academic records, the results of the review are confidential, and the University will not disclose them, although affected students may if they so choose. If it is determined that student-athletes would have been ineligible during past competition, Notre Dame will voluntarily impose appropriate sanctions, report our findings to the NCAA, and await its independent review."

Either way, I think we're in general agreement. I just don't think the latest statement offers any new "tea leaves" to read. Doesn't quite have the feel of a slow news drip to ease the blow of really really bad news.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly said that the release of the findings to the players is "imminent" whatever that means. Kelly's hinted that the next step is right around the corner before, only to find out its actually days or weeks later, so take it with a grain of salt. Otherwise, in the real world, that means they'll likely know this afternoon or tomorrow.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if they found out today.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly thought it would be tonight or by Wed. Outside shot they would play this week. I would like for them to get some practice in this week and get ready for FSU. We can use Russell against FSU

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly thought it would be tonight or by Wed. Outside shot they would play this week. I would like for them to get some practice in this week and get ready for FSU. We can use Russell against FSU

There seems to be a working assumption, not just here but other fan sites as well, that we'll be getting any of them back this year. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much for that. Yeah, it would be nice, but this has been treated as seriously as anything I can remember. I'm trying not to lose sight of that. More than anything, I just want to know where things stand from a season standpoint and a recruiting standpoint, and whether these guys, if the so choose, will tough it out and get that degree.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we at least get 1-2 players back. I do think someone did cheat. Daniels couldn't keep a 2.0 so this doenst makes sense for him unless he is that dumb. LOL Russell seems positive that he is good to go. The others haven't heard anything. makes me believe they might of did something wrong. Who knows I guess.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we at least get 1-2 players back. I do think someone did cheat. Daniels couldn't keep a 2.0 so this doenst makes sense for him unless he is that dumb. LOL Russell seems positive that he is good to go. The others haven't heard anything. makes me believe they might of did something wrong. Who knows I guess.

Wouldn't the bold above lead some to believe that Daniels may have had plenty of motive/reason to cheat with the GPA that you pointed out? Maybe he is that dumb ... :noidea:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'll get somebody back just not sure who or how many.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't the bold above lead some to believe that Daniels may have had plenty of motive/reason to cheat with the GPA that you pointed out? Maybe he is that dumb ... :noidea:

This happen in the spring or last year so if he did cheat it would help his 2,0 that got him kicked off the spring team. That's why it doesn't make sense, unless like I said he is that dumb and still couldn't get good grades while cheating.