• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Projecting which Bears should return next year

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't find an existing thread that would properly fit this link, so I started a new one. Obviously it's a way-too-early take on who should stick around for next year, but we're talking bye week here, so why not bring up something different to discuss.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a google deal on my phone saying that Darnell Wright and Jack Sanborn made ESPN's best 24 and under player lists. Edwards and Edmunds both earned big money, so hopefully Jack is back in the middle again.

Its finally time after waiting 2 off seasons to show Cody the door, hopefully Lucas is right behind him and we get a damned center. I dont really think Feeley did a bad job other than the kings problem with him and the snap count.

Other than being a decent man and smart player, Eddie Jackson needs to go as well.

I like Mooney, but there seems to be a disconnect between running 50 routes a game and getting targeted twice. He will be a good one if we ever had a passing game.

That sadly puts my two biggest needs this draft as C and S.

It is in no way asking to see more Mock drafts though.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I might be off my rocker on this,but I think JF needs to stay next season......

Why not make the most of his running ability,and shirt passing ability and make him into anothe Taysom Hill......Not sure he would give up a starting job to stay in Chicago and whether tge Bears are wanting to move on from him,but damn,I think theyd have something there.....

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I might be off my rocker on this,but I think JF needs to stay next season......

Why not make the most of his running ability,and shirt passing ability and make him into anothe Taysom Hill......Not sure he would give up a starting job to stay in Chicago and whether tge Bears are wanting to move on from him,but damn,I think theyd have something there.....
I dont think Tayson Hill has fumbled 35 times in 36 games, just not sure what is happening between the ears.

They are definitely not doing him any favors calling all these running plays when everyone knows what he has to prove. When he starts running and then flings a pass for 10 yards or so, thats the guy we need. But all running and no passing make wide receivers want to leave. Now if he runs to the line of scrimmage and hits someone...........in stride......like 40 yards down field, thats when he finally gets my vote.

Hopefully one of them not returning is Getsy. Even though it ends up with 3 systems in 4 years BS excuses, they need to move on from this rock a bye baby screen pass offense.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Tayson Hill has fumbled 35 times in 36 games, just not sure what is happening between the ears.

They are definitely not doing him any favors calling all these running plays when everyone knows what he has to prove. When he starts running and then flings a pass for 10 yards or so, thats the guy we need. But all running and no passing make wide receivers want to leave. Now if he runs to the line of scrimmage and hits someone...........in stride......like 40 yards down field, thats when he finally gets my vote.

Hopefully one of them not returning is Getsy. Even though it ends up with 3 systems in 4 years BS excuses, they need to move on from this rock a bye baby screen pass offense.

I think JF (willingly of course) plays that role,would be good for him.....The NFL is a business and if he wants to stay in Chicago to prove that starting job,then thats what he needs to do.....he doesnt really warrant a starting job here.
If he wants out,then thats good too,we see what we can get,maybe we do pick up a 2nd for him.......
But Poles has to hit on the two no.1 draft picks......

We keep JF and hes not what we are looking for next season,Poles loses his job with that on his resume......
We take MHJ( which more and more Id love to see it happen),draft a qb with the next pick,and Poles hits it,he keeps his job,we have that better qb with a rookie contract plus still being tthe team with the most cap space,thats a ton of possibilities next season......

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JF (willingly of course) plays that role,would be good for him.....The NFL is a business and if he wants to stay in Chicago to prove that starting job,then thats what he needs to do.....he doesnt really warrant a starting job here.
If he wants out,then thats good too,we see what we can get,maybe we do pick up a 2nd for him.......
But Poles has to hit on the two no.1 draft picks......

We keep JF and hes not what we are looking for next season,Poles loses his job with that on his resume......
We take MHJ( which more and more Id love to see it happen),draft a qb with the next pick,and Poles hits it,he keeps his job,we have that better qb with a rookie contract plus still being tthe team with the most cap space,thats a ton of possibilities next season......
You are comparing hill, who was happy in the role enough to sign a 4/40 contract. There are rumblings he signed another extension of 4/140 which is like the devin Hester WR deal, incentives he is never going to reach since they are never letting him become the full time starter. The going rate for a starter is gonna be 55 million. Most likely they pick up the fifth year and pay him 20-22 million for that season under the third or fourth coordinator, if Getsys replacement makes it past next year So a gadget contract is going to end up being a cut in pay, which is probably should. You are completely right, we have a gadget player, but in the role they will not give Hill, or worse, let Hill earn.

I am just sick of these drafted franchise quarterbacks with no time to prove they are franchise. That guaranteed #1 pick has already said he will make more money with the new college rules if he stays in school. I just fear its an Eli situation where he refuses to sign unless he is traded, and at that point, its not getting the Giants 6th and next years 1 and even possibly Barkley to deal the 1. Whether or not he did make that list of 5 teams, its another bad situation.

So you decide to go Maye and we get the guy from the school Trubisky went to. Ultimately fields is gonna be here and we will hear of potential for 3 more years until he changes teams and is out of football at 31 like Cam Newton.

What does all that mean? Fields is choosing where the 50 million a year guaranteed is if it is a choice and we hear he had to learn another new system, hopefully from someone who did more than carry Aaron Rodgers jock.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fields is gone. One year left on his contract, and then I'm sure he'll be looking for a bigger deal. Are the Bears ready to pay for him? I think he'd have to go OFF in these last games, to even consider it.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they choose to not draft a QB, but make a trade. Seems Daniel Jones is the simple answer of who is available. Should they actually get someone in house that will actually compete with Fields for the starting job? How would that work out. They can even do the gadget plays his final year.

I mean we have been doing this "reset" the rookie clock and it has not worked out so well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fields is gone. One year left on his contract, and then I'm sure he'll be looking for a bigger deal. Are the Bears ready to pay for him? I think he'd have to go OFF in these last games, to even consider it.
Technically 2 years left, assuming Poles would invoke the option. It's why if he's not planning to sign Fields to a long term contract, this offseason will be his best shot to get max draft capital in a trade. I'm thinking a 2nd or 3rd next year and maybe a 5th in '25, something along those lines.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of pieces worth keeping. The problem might be that this coaching staff has skewed their value. For example, Mooney is a very good WR2 with good hands, and he is a forgotten man in this offense.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Fields, there are a lot of factors to consider. Poles didn't draft him. The Bears could have decided to not trade with Carolina and draft Stroud. Do the Bears decide to miss out for a 2nd consecutive year of a top QB-of-their-choice by trading down? Fields is too inconsistent. And who will be the next Bears head coach? Will it be yet another first-time NFL head coach or will they try to land Jim Harbaugh? And what if Harbaugh says he can fix Fields like he fixed Kaepernick? The scenarios are endless.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically 2 years left, assuming Poles would invoke the option. It's why if he's not planning to sign Fields to a long term contract, this offseason will be his best shot to get max draft capital in a trade. I'm thinking a 2nd or 3rd next year and maybe a 5th in '25, something along those lines.
Its still the smarter move, this year was 20-23 million. It depends on pro bowl appearances and other incentive driven awards. Remember Mitch got the fourth or fifth alternate or was the one guy who agreed to go to the pro bowl in 2018, so that added a million to his fifth year. Even Daniel Jones got 40 million.

My stance is the primadonna CAleb Williams only wants to go to 5 teams, which leaves Maye, another NC guy. Stroud is breaking the Ohio state curse, I know its Trubisky, Howell and Maye possibly saying its ok to draft from NC. But the question is, do you change the script and actually give Fields some competition this time around? Dont get the carry the jock backup, but someone who is looking to get playing time. Remember his first year, we had Dalton, Foles and Fields. Foles still thought he was superbowl MVP and expected to compete, instead, he was not dressed most of that season.

What is the stance wtih Williams. Really cannot have him on the roster with Fields and if he really does not want to be here. Do you do a deal with the Giants to give them 1 since Caleb wants to play there? What do trade the pick to NY and get, somewhere around 6, next years first, and a veteran. They would need to move the mentioned Daniel Jones. Does he become our QB? Do we end up with Barkley, like we got Moore?

What other change of scenery options are out there? Goff may not survive another few weeks of turnovers and not leading the Lions to playoff wins, Staffords time is up in LA, Jones is done in New England, dont know if Atlanta thinks they found their guy, I like Levis, liked if we picked him last year, but the titans wont cut him loose.

Just saying there are probably not better options for QB out there now if we dont want to go back to "resetting the rookie clock" and bring in a veteran to replace Fields.

Gadget player is the right call. But the gadget guy signed for 10 million a year, starters will be at 55.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Fields, there are a lot of factors to consider. Poles didn't draft him. The Bears could have decided to not trade with Carolina and draft Stroud. Do the Bears decide to miss out for a 2nd consecutive year of a top QB-of-their-choice by trading down? Fields is too inconsistent. And who will be the next Bears head coach? Will it be yet another first-time NFL head coach or will they try to land Jim Harbaugh? And what if Harbaugh says he can fix Fields like he fixed Kaepernick? The scenarios are endless.
right, but they most likely would have made the mistake and drafted Young. Personally, I would have taken Levis. I just think its a whole other bowl of worms to replace the black QB with a white guy. Its sad, but it is part of the equation. I dont think Caleb is the Cam Newton copy that fields is, so its not really a person swap. But also think Fields is on the same path as Cam and will be out of football by 32.

The Harbaugh thing with Kaperdick is interesting, but if he does, its 250 guaranteed, and how long will he last?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also think Fields is on the same path as Cam
Seems like Fields is on the same path as Rex Grossman. Exciting at times, but turning the ball over in critical moments.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck would rather join the Giants right now, over the Bears? They are terrible!?

I honestly think the Bears are only a couple of pieces from being a legit team. An OC/Head coach, a QB, a Center...maybe another edge rusher.

I get the notion of keeping Fields, but I just can't see em' doing it. Two straight years of passing on the No. 1 pick? For a kid with 6 wins, eleventy billion fumbles and what, 4 or 5 games of throwing for over 200 yards?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are comparing hill, who was happy in the role enough to sign a 4/40 contract. There are rumblings he signed another extension of 4/140 which is like the devin Hester WR deal, incentives he is never going to reach since they are never letting him become the full time starter. The going rate for a starter is gonna be 55 million. Most likely they pick up the fifth year and pay him 20-22 million for that season under the third or fourth coordinator, if Getsys replacement makes it past next year So a gadget contract is going to end up being a cut in pay, which is probably should. You are completely right, we have a gadget player, but in the role they will not give Hill, or worse, let Hill earn.

I am just sick of these drafted franchise quarterbacks with no time to prove they are franchise. That guaranteed #1 pick has already said he will make more money with the new college rules if he stays in school. I just fear its an Eli situation where he refuses to sign unless he is traded, and at that point, its not getting the Giants 6th and next years 1 and even possibly Barkley to deal the 1. Whether or not he did make that list of 5 teams, its another bad situation.

So you decide to go Maye and we get the guy from the school Trubisky went to. Ultimately fields is gonna be here and we will hear of potential for 3 more years until he changes teams and is out of football at 31 like Cam Newton.

What does all that mean? Fields is choosing where the 50 million a year guaranteed is if it is a choice and we hear he had to learn another new system, hopefully from someone who did more than carry Aaron Rodgers jock.

This is where I stand with JF in a Taysom Hill role......

First of all,its a business,if he doesnt want that role,then hey you will be shipped out......and I believe he would be great at it.
Plus thats JFs final year of his contract and if he shows more improvement,sign him to an extension.....

Poles keeps JF as starter without drafting a qb with one of those two picks,Poles no longer has a job.....
Poles lets JF walk and he balls somewhere else and yhe draftee falters,Poles has atleast one more year for his qb to improve.......

What I DONT want to see is them trading down with either pick,take MHJ with the very first and a qb with the next no.1......the draft is deep in qbs and I still think we could get a damn good one....Bo Nix or @Lake Shore Drive guy from LSU,or a couple other names out there.......

We traded awsy the very 1st pick last season for a reason.....USE IT!!....traded for a reason.
Plus,I highly doubt we get lucky enough to get the 2025 very 1st pick of the draft,with a player of Moores ability on top of it.....

Plus we have the most money in freeagenc again......We are set up nicely for the 24 season.....

And as far as Caleb Williams not wanting to play for us,thats kinda dumb,I tend to think that the very 1st pick of the draft will have the biggest salary.....??....is that correct.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams not wanting to play for us
Talent gets you into the NFL. Discipline and character is what separates you from the other 1700 NFLers.
I have severe reservations over his discipline and character. He might be doing the Bears a favor by not wanting to be here. Bears have enough issues to fix.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent gets you into the NFL. Discipline and character is what separates you from the other 1700 NFLers.
I have severe reservations over his discipline and character. He might be doing the Bears a favor by not wanting to be here. Bears have enough issues to fix.
I've had the opportunity to catch a number of games from all the potential 1st round QBs in next year's draft, with the exception of Drake Maye - I've seen very little of his play. There is a strong argument to be made that Williams is the most talented one of the bunch, hard to dispute this. He makes throws under the most adverse situations that I don't see others make. But like you, I also question those traits and while we're at it, throw in his Fields-like penchant in coughing up the football way too often as well.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I stand with JF in a Taysom Hill role......

First of all,its a business,if he doesnt want that role,then hey you will be shipped out......and I believe he would be great at it.
Plus thats JFs final year of his contract and if he shows more improvement,sign him to an extension.....

Poles keeps JF as starter without drafting a qb with one of those two picks,Poles no longer has a job.....
Poles lets JF walk and he balls somewhere else and yhe draftee falters,Poles has atleast one more year for his qb to improve.......

What I DONT want to see is them trading down with either pick,take MHJ with the very first and a qb with the next no.1......the draft is deep in qbs and I still think we could get a damn good one....Bo Nix or @Lake Shore Drive guy from LSU,or a couple other names out there.......

We traded awsy the very 1st pick last season for a reason.....USE IT!!....traded for a reason.
Plus,I highly doubt we get lucky enough to get the 2025 very 1st pick of the draft,with a player of Moores ability on top of it.....

Plus we have the most money in freeagenc again......We are set up nicely for the 24 season.....

And as far as Caleb Williams not wanting to play for us,thats kinda dumb,I tend to think that the very 1st pick of the draft will have the biggest salary.....??....is that correct.
Yes, the salary is the same regardless, its slotted, but he has a list of teams he wants to be on, the Giants, Raiders, Cowboys, Vikings or 49ers. I guess you can give more in bonuses, but if money is the reason he wants to play here, what kind of pro is he going to be? He claimed he will go back to school for the fifth year and earn more money with these new rules anyway. So I see the easiest fit is Giants since they will have the highest pick out of this bunch, Raiders should still be a decent pick, with Jimmy hurt again, I can see them making a splash in Vegas.

We need to remember, he originally was at Oklahoma, and left after his freshman year, transferred to a school he was able to start at. I really liked when a transfer player had to red shirt a year.

There are most likely other reasons, like jersey sales, big market NY to try to catch Patrick on 25 out of 40 commercials during games to make even more money. But its the bullshit of wanting all this before playing one down. It reminds me of the old draft rules when #1's were getting 50 million guaranteed, never playing a single down.

Dak is going nowhere, I doubt Lance is either, but if Jerry gets bounced out of the playoffs again, I can see him wanting the golden boy. That is where I am thinking, who might we get as an experienced QB. Dont want Lance, but would Prescott fit here? Garappolo? Purdy? Cousins? or Jones? End this rookie reset crap since we had no luck developing the last 2?

I really like your Tayson Hill comparison. I read he signed another extension that could be worth 4/140. but its a Devin Hester receiver type contract based on incentives and was called a way to save money on the cap, when he is only making 10 million now.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we draft a quarterback, Fields is gone. Ain't gonna be no Taysom Hill stuff going on.