• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Cowboys Training Camp

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he could still play. Emmitt looks older than him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess not looking like he'll play week 1? I'd be happy if he could just rotate in a few plays. We will need bodies the first two weeks. Guy just always seems to be hurt.

Crawford Looking To Return From Ankle Sprain “Sooner Than Later”

crawford_tyrone-hs-2.jpg

(Aug. 23; 9:50 a.m.) – Defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford’s sprained ankle is “getting better and better,” head coach Jason Garrett says, though he’s still week-to-week in his recovery.

“He’s doing a lot of stuff on the side with our trainers and with our strength staff. And he’s got a real good spirit about him,” Garrett said. “I think that was a scary situation for all of us when it first happened. But we got some good news afterward and we don’t anticipate him doing anything this week or even next week. We’re hopeful in the next couple of weeks he’ll be back ready to go again.”

The Cowboys’ regular-season opener is Sept. 10 against the New York Giants at AT&T Stadium.

Crawford was carted off the practice field Aug. 8 in Oxnard, Calif., after his ankle bent awkwardly during a play in team drills. Initially, he feared the worst.

“When you have a time in your career (2013) where you tear your Achilles, that’s the first thing that goes through your mind when something happens around your ankle area,” he said. “That’s the first thing that went through my mind. I heard a little pop. Immediately started praying, hoping it wasn’t, and thank God it wasn’t.”

Crawford is out of a protective boot and seems to be moving around well. He said he's started in his on-field rehab work with Britt Brown, the Cowboys' associate athletic trainer/director of rehabilitation.

“We’re working to be back sooner than later, definitely,” he said

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the DL.

I expect very good LB play this year and they played the run well last year as a team (not as good as the stats show because we were always ahead and teams didn't run that much) but I think we do pretty good against the run again and a guy like Paea should help there too. So thinking about our pass rush. Early on we know we have the suspension problem, but I'm not too worried because this team will be defined by the games they win in January, not September.

I know we will rotate everyone in and out, but once everyone is back I am thinking something like Lawrence, Collins, Irving and D.Moore would be a lot better than we have seen lately. I think Collins is on the verge of being a Pro Bowler and he may be one of our best players and Irving seems (I know preseason and practice) to be getting more consistent than he has been. The guy was virtually unstoppable in short spurts and can be very disruptive. If he can improve on his consistency he goes from a rotation guy to a guy that won't come off the field too much even in Rod's D. Lawrence wasn't healthy last year and missed the beginning, but he has also shown the ability to be really good in stretches and now coming into his 3rd year I think he has a good year getting after the QB. Lastly Moore looks way quicker than everyone else on the DL and just seems to be able to get penetration. Not an every down guy, but I think he could be a good nickel pass rusher. Then you throw in guys like Crawford if he is healthy, Taco, Mayowa, etc...and I think we can take a big step forward this year. Am I being too optimistic?

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think first 2 or 3 games is going to be as ugly as it'll be on that side of the ball. Many new DB starters will lead to a few WTF moments until they gel. If we are able to stop the run with the front 7, that will help build confidence. Then they would just have to find the right combinations up front to rush the passer. But as we saw last year, some QBs won't allow you to substitute. So we need to find more guys that can do both effectively and maybe run with 2 sets of 4 on the line when we come across those situations. Also having a LBer like Jaylon Smith will help us be able to defend the pass and run on those no-huddle situations.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of expect the DBs to be shuffling all year until we settle in on a group. I think injuries have ruled out the chance of any rookies starting week 1. Perhaps as they get more practice time in we see their playing time increase. I think Scandrick, Brown and Jones have played enough to expect them to be somewhat "on the same page" and Heath is what he is. A little late getting to the ball, but hopefully he offsets that with some Ints and big hits like the ones Wilcox gave us last year. Carroll, I still don't know what to expect.

Good point on the inability to substitute, but that is what it is and having more bodies is much better against teams that want to go no huddle and try to tire the big guys out. We all know Marinelli likes to rotate. One downside of that is what you mentioned, that the QB may not let you, but an upside is the guys should be fresh enough to stay on the field if teams do go "no huddle" and if we control the ball on Offense even more so. I suspect we will see this right off the bat week 1 against the Giants. I think guys like Collins and Irving are just as good against both run and pass, but you either sub or you don't and "hurry up" causes issues both ways. We just don't have 4 studs to play up front and not worry about subbing guys.

At some point I agree with you on Smith. Week 1, I don't think he is playing consistently in the nickel so don't think it helps early on. But whether week 1 or week 10 when he and Lee get together it's going to be a show. Regardless we do have Lee out there and the other two sure seem to be able to hold their weight for all 3 downs as well.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think first 2 or 3 games is going to be as ugly as it'll be on that side of the ball. Many new DB starters will lead to a few WTF moments until they gel. If we are able to stop the run with the front 7, that will help build confidence. Then they would just have to find the right combinations up front to rush the passer. But as we saw last year, some QBs won't allow you to substitute. So we need to find more guys that can do both effectively and maybe run with 2 sets of 4 on the line when we come across those situations. Also having a LBer like Jaylon Smith will help us be able to defend the pass and run on those no-huddle situations.
Well said....first few weeks could be tough, but I expect a couple of rookie DB's will be worked in early... and move in as starters. We've got to reduce Heaths snaps as soon as we possibly can. Chidobe Awuzie & Xavier Woods need to play, hopefully that happens against Houston....Woods, who looked real good to me against the Rams might play this week. The Michigan corner is a concern since he's yet to play in practice with pads. We need all 3 to contribute this season and as early as possible or the dbackfield will look much like it has the last few seasons which will be a killer towards defense improving. Hopefully we force our fair share of turnovers, which will be critical.

Jaylon Smith with continued good health along with the 3 rookie DB's still gives me hope this defense will be top 15. Tall order... but I think each can have that kinda impact. IMO, Smith remains a stud just waiting to happen.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said....first few weeks could be tough, but I expect a couple of rookie DB's will be worked in early... and move in as starters. We've got to reduce Heaths snaps as soon as we possibly can. Chidobe Awuzie & Xavier Woods need to play, hopefully that happens against Houston....Woods, who looked real good to me against the Rams might play this week. The Michigan corner is a concern since he's yet to play in practice with pads. We need all 3 to contribute this season and as early as possible or the dbackfield will look much like it has the last few seasons which will be a killer towards defense improving. Hopefully we force our fair share of turnovers, which will be critical.

Jaylon Smith with continued good health along with the 3 rookie DB's still gives me hope this defense will be top 15. Tall order... but I think each can have that kinda impact. IMO, Smith remains a stud just waiting to happen.
I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing about this yound D. Yes it may be ugly early, but I think they get it together in plenty of time for a successful season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh oh. Maybe not coming back this year?

Hitchens undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery
9658.jpg

Cowboys MLB Anthony Hitchens is undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his injured right knee.

Per ESPN's Todd Archer, the operation is to "check the state" of Hitchens' ACL. ACL damage was initially ruled out. Hitchens is dealing with a "tibial plateau fracture." It sounds like the news could get worse. A 2017 return is beginning to look like a stretch.
Source: Todd Archer on Twitter

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Todd Archer

Tight end Rico Gathers remains in the concussion protocol and will not practice or play this week. He could be a candidate for injured reserve.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh oh. Maybe not coming back this year?

Hitchens undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery
9658.jpg

Cowboys MLB Anthony Hitchens is undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his injured right knee.

Per ESPN's Todd Archer, the operation is to "check the state" of Hitchens' ACL. ACL damage was initially ruled out. Hitchens is dealing with a "tibial plateau fracture." It sounds like the news could get worse. A 2017 return is beginning to look like a stretch.
Source: Todd Archer on Twitter

Updates.

Stefano FusaroESPN

#Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens who suffered a tibial-plateau fracture, has not had surgery. He is already rehabbing. Will be out 8 weeks.

Todd ArcherESPN Staff Writer
An MRI did not show damage to the anterior cruciate ligament in the right knee of linebacker Anthony Hitchens, but he is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery Tuesday to check the state of the ligament, according to a source. Hitchens suffered a tibial plateau fracture against the Oakland Raiders and is looking at an eight-week absence

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Todd Archer

Tight end Rico Gathers remains in the concussion protocol and will not practice or play this week. He could be a candidate for injured reserve.
Injured reserve? With so little Football experience I doubt he has a history of concussions. From the day he was concussed to the first game is like 3 weeks right? Something doesn't sound right here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Awuzie, Woods and Switzer all back at practice. Hopefully they all play some this week and are ready to go week 1. Lewis is still out.

So we get two players that we can put on IR with designation to return. Hitchens is one unless Tuesday's scope shows some real bad news. Have to think Lewis will be the other one, right? Possibly Crawford or Green if their injuries are worse than we are being told, but I think both could be back week 1 or even earlier. Anyone have an update on either?

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Todd Archer

While I hate to hear that in a major way, this may help the team in the long run.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injured reserve? With so little Football experience I doubt he has a history of concussions. From the day he was concussed to the first game is like 3 weeks right? Something doesn't sound right here.
Don't shoot the messenger