• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current State of Reds and Beyond

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds are satisfied that these fill-in starters can pitch 5 or 6 innings. That was more than they gave them in Arizona and they wonder why they can't win games late with this scrap bullpen.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Tucker Barnhart sees the ball well against Niese. He hit the ball hard every AB and finally got something to show for it. It's his first professional regular season HR as a RHB at any level, but he did hit one in ST earlier this year off the Cubs lefty Eric Jokisch...... Eric Who? Tucker probably doesn't even remember the guys name.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duvall has earned a extended look in LF. He had a rough patch a couple weeks ago striking out a ton, but has gotten back on track.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that they are selling "rebuilding" as a way of going cheap. But I also don't think it's working well for them. Just look into the stands, and you only see a hand full of fans. I guess they don't care as long as they get TV, and other revenue.
The TV broadcasters, Chris Welsh and who ever is free in the stands, are sold on it though. They talk like the Reds are in 1st place. The old party line.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better watch out H&R, Eric Jokisch may be pitching for the Reds before this year is over. They will probably trade Bruce to get him

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds will attempt to sell bobbleheads and promo nights to help get through the weekends. Those crowds lately are killing the vendors, however, which is the risk you take when you contract for a retail space at the ballpark.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds radio pundits are all over themselves about the "rebuild" that they claim had to happen.
What rebuild was that?
Trading Frazier, Chapman and replacing the whole pitching staff is not a rebuild. It's a lack of a plan if all you have left is Dan Straily and Pasta Alfredo.

However, I agree with Egger that if the guys in the minors could have made this team a contender, they'd probably be in Cincy now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Mesoraco obviously done, do the Reds go looking for another MLB quality backup catcher, or does Ramon Cabrera suffice? Pacheco is also a catcher, or reportedly has done that. What's the point of going for depth there?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the question is, If anything happens to Barnhart, can Cabrera handle the everyday catching and who's backing him up?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they stand pat with the catching options already on the 40 man roster. Unless there's a upgrade that crosses the waiver wire...unlikely.

I don't think the catching situation is any worse off than it was last season. The Reds were near the bottom in run production from the catcher position last season and will be again in 2016. Barnhart is a good enough backup and the best defensive catcher available, but he's a pretty big drop off in run production from what they were expecting from Mesoraco. Were those expectations well founded returning from injury... probably not.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remain higher on Barnhart than most everyone else is, even with his lack of long-ball power. I think he can hit .230. At the bottom of the order, that's really more than OK. It will beat Pena's numbers.

I guess the issue is whether this "rebuild" needs to begin focusing on that position. I reckon Mesoraco will heal but I am not as confident his hip is durable enough anyhow, even if his shoulder surgery is a success.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barnhart can do better than .230, but I think teams that get run production from the catcher position are heads and shoulders above teams that don't.

IMO,
The catcher, SS, 2B, and CF are the core defensive positions, but you out pace the league if they produce offensively. Most contenders get run production from the four corner positions, but teams that get it from the middle are Championship caliber offensive teams.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnhart will probably hit better as he matures and he might even get 10-15 HR a year. I think that's sort of not on the list of issues now with this pitching staff, though I wonder exactly how much a catcher helps. The claim is that pitchers throw to confidence but most games are called by the dugout now.

With this pitching staff, Johnny Bench wouldn't make the Hall of Fame on the 65th ballot.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barnhart's power is limited by his plane of swing. He's a fairly level plane guy that hits line drives. I think he does a good job understanding what kind of hitter he is and not trying to be something he's not. I think he's a capable backstop similiar to what the Reds had with Ryan Hannigan.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Specking of production, Suarez has really slowed down. Some say he is in a slump. But I think it might have something to do with Votto not hitting behind him. Look at Hamilton now that he's batting in front of Votto. Votto isn't hitting like he normally does, but teams are still afraid of him

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez usually hits to all fields, but lately he's been a pull-a-holic. His first PA tonight was 10 pitch AB. Once he had two strikes every pitch was outer third of the plate and he continued to try and pull the ball. Lots of foul balls, but how about hitting the damn ball where it's pitched.

He's the perfect example of a guy having some success hitting the long ball and totally abandoning his approach. Jay Bruce has pretty much done the same thing after starting the season making a effort to go oppo against the shift. Although Bruce did hit a oppo HR right after BP was HBP.

The Pirates do a good job pitching to the shift, but they still work both sides of the plate, especially when ahead in the count. It's redundant to watch some of these guys try and pull the ball when the pitch begs to be hit oppo.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Reds have reached the quarter season mark and it's what most expected. A 15-25 record that's projects out to a 61-101 season record. The FO continues to use injuries as a excuse.... for the 3rd year in a row. This team may as well be playing at the Alamo....
because the reenforcements aren't coming.

In the next month trade speculation will once again be in full bloom. Who are the tradable pieces that can help a team trying to get over the hump?

Jay Bruce is the media's top choice, but I think there may some interest in Zack Cozart. Everyone likes power hitting corner position players, but the middle of the field is where a lot of teams can use a upgrade offensively. If Zack continues to hit, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved.

Neither would garner a top shelf prospect. I'd like to see more packaging in the Reds trade strategies to sweeten the return a bit. Teams aren't willing to give away top prospects for short term MLB players. They want cash or a kicker to balance the scale. The Reds need to incorporate some if it's younger prospects into trades to maximize it's return.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the moment, I don't see that a trade helps this team in either the short or long term. We tend to compare our guys to their guys and work on the premise: Would you trade your guy for their guy, even up?

When their guy (Napoli) is a force on offense and our guy (Votto) beefs at himself for striking out on an 0-2 pitch, which guy do you want? Votto is hitting .212 and in the 3 spot because we all "JUST KNOW" that he's not a .212 hitter. The Reds are losing every night because our All-Star is planning to have a breakout month in July.

Their guy (Rajai Davis) produces a month's worth of runs in 3 games and our guy (Hamilton) is still trying to get down a 2-out bunt, well it's still good MLB highlight video, right?

The other guy you hear discussed in trades is Bailey. Seriously? We could find a taker for a guy who has had 2 arm surgeries in 2 years and is currently on the 60-day DL?

I'd trade Cozart, I reckon, but I can't see where that matters much. Maybe Votto could lead off, play shortstop, sing the Canadian anthem and show us the meaning of true friendship.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hate to see Cozart traded. If he was gone they would be no one on this team anyone would want to see. Also The Reds have to have at least one All Star, and no one else is good enough.
How long is Cozart signed for?