• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland unions say they'll refuse to hold flag at Browns' opening game

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a attorney, I do know a little about HR...but I'm pretty sure NFL teams or any employer in the U.S. cannot lawfully tell a person how they are to respond to the national anthem being played.
Well given that the NFL has adopted the stance that it's perfectly OK for fans to boo the shit out of them for their slight of flag and country I suppose we'll never know. When a company adopts a policy of employee conduct however and such conduct includes standing for the anthem, then an employee on the employer's premises especially one wearing the company's uniform is obliged to respect those policies. Freedom of speech doesn't enter the question. Nobody is forcing the player to wear the company's uniform or accept money from the company but if they do, then the company has certain rights regarding how an employee conducts him or herself.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, problem is the ACLU doesn't.
Yes I'd say standing is a team function on see where it goes, but you know there will be a fight over it.
Fuck the ACLU. And the horse they rode in on.

Oh wait. PETA has that covered.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but you must know they'll be right there 1st in line.
I realize that but in my opinion the ACLU stands for everything that is wrong with this country.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the other 52 stand? You'd let 1 person you don't agree with determine your actions?
I would expect Jerry Jones to have zero tolerance for anyone disrespecting the flag.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well given that the NFL has adopted the stance that it's perfectly OK for fans to boo the shit out of them for their slight of flag and country I suppose we'll never know. When a company adopts a policy of employee conduct however and such conduct includes standing for the anthem, then an employee on the employer's premises especially one wearing the company's uniform is obliged to respect those policies. Freedom of speech doesn't enter the question. Nobody is forcing the player to wear the company's uniform or accept money from the company but if they do, then the company has certain rights regarding how an employee conducts him or herself.

I'm in a HR in a small company, my daughter is an HR mgr for a large company...there's nothing in the company handbook about national anthems for either operation.

That said...if a company did have a practice of observing the flag during national anthem everyday and employees signed on with this knowledge...yes, I agree with you.

But, that's rare...the vast majority of companies don't even have an American flag on display. This might sound nutty but for the NFL to mandate that plays stand during the national anthem it might need to be in the CBA.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a HR in a small company, my daughter is an HR mgr for a large company...there's nothing in the company handbook about national anthems for either operation.

That said...if a company did have a practice of observing the flag during national anthem everyday and employees signed on with this knowledge...yes, I agree with you.

But, that's rare...the vast majority of companies don't even have an American flag on display. This might sound nutty but for the NFL to mandate that plays stand during the national anthem it might need to be in the CBA.
I take your point, and such a policy would be unprecedented I believe but then again, employees pushing their own political agenda in a company uniform on national TV in front of millions of viewers is equally unprecedented. Such a policy would make sense given that millions of people are shaping their opinions of the league based on what they see on TV, a very powerful medium.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's because we have too many civil liberty lawyers and organizations in this country. One would sue the company for flying Old Glory and not every other employees national colors.

Don't be fooled people. This isn't about disrespecting the flag or NA directly. It's about losers like Krapenstick who aren't man enough to take their issues on where the issue stems from. Why not wear a black lives matters cape during warm ups? 1. They would be fined. 2. It wouldn't offend enough people.

1A all you want. Leave the NA alone. Have 90 seconds worth of respect fot the greatest country in the world. It's a shame where this country is going.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS! The minute you put on your employers uniform you are obliged to act according to their policies otherwise simply take it off and go home. It's the same as any other business in America. The NFL has chosen to embrace the lack of respect calling it free speech therefore it's a direct reflection on the NFL. I hope the military severs ties with the NFL as well.

Are you gonna sever ties with the NFL and stop watching and/or buying their merchandise?

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical no class Ohio move. It takes the spot light off how bad this brown team is

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are deluded. ACLU protects individual rights.
As a young Cowboys fan I used to love it when they did close ups of the cheerleaders ass cheeks. It should be my individual right to view these close up. But there was an up roar that this disrespected women and they stopped showing those cheeks. IMO it is time for revenge on the ACLU. Stop showing our flag being disrespected!##

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the irony of this being that their little counter protest, by not holding the flag, is actually just the same quiet protest the players are doing.

they didn't think it through well.
How is that?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that?

The players are kneeling during the anthem and these union folks are refusing to hold the flag.

From the outside w/o context it appears to be the exact same protest.