• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland unions say they'll refuse to hold flag at Browns' opening game

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of Union's but I commend this move.

Steve Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, cited his service in the U.S. Navy when he told WKYC-TV he was astounded that Browns management knew of the protests but allowed it to occur.

"I am not going to participate or work with management that allows their players to disrespect the flag and the national anthem," Loomis said.

Unions: We won't hold flag at Browns' opener

Reactions: GNG

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Union can make a decision, and it's their right to do it, but what they are dealing with is free speech...what do they expect the Browns or the NFL for that matter to do?

Yes the free speech is a double edged sword. My Moma used to say a lot " just because you can do something that does not mean you should " actions have consequences. I can see both sides and for me the kneeling to raise awareness moment has passed.
It's time to take action for change if you believe that strongly. A Civics/History Professor told me long ago that their are plenty of vehicles to provoke change within the system but that change is slow and hard fought and it is much easier to just pitch a fit and act out then work to make things happen.

JMHO

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Union can make a decision, and it's their right to do it, but what they are dealing with is free speech...what do they expect the Browns or the NFL for that matter to do?

Exactly and you think the players really give a damn about this. It more so hurt the fans than anything else. The fans who go to games are used to seeing this.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both groups are in the wrong. And the 1A does not give anyone the right to say or do whatever they want when they're at work.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL should fine or suspend any player that doesn't stand for our national anthem. What they do in their free time is okay but they are representing the NFL when they put on the uniform.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and you think the players really give a damn about this. It more so hurt the fans than anything else. The fans who go to games are used to seeing this.
I'm a Cowboys season ticket holder but I won't attend any games if one of our players disrespects the flag.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't do it. I am tired of making every decision a political statement.

Cops don't want to participate great. I am sure they will find Boy Scout troops and VFW halls that want free tickets.

These protest make players look like asshats. The cops will start to look the same if they become political and outspoken.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Browns are Honoring the flag as an organization they can tell all players they must stand with the team. Same goes for all other teams. At this point I'm in the stop playing the Anthem pregame corner.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they wouldn't be holding it at any of the other games, either, if it was me.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I'm in the stop playing the Anthem pregame corner.
I hope it doesn't come to that. Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I thoroughly enjoy standing up honoring our country before the games. I cannot wait to do it in about 4 hours from now with my family at the Mariners game. I would rather see the league/teams play the anthem before the players come out than not play it at all.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS! The minute you put on your employers uniform you are obliged to act according to their policies otherwise simply take it off and go home. It's the same as any other business in America. The NFL has chosen to embrace the lack of respect calling it free speech therefore it's a direct reflection on the NFL. I hope the military severs ties with the NFL as well.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS! The minute you put on your employers uniform you are obliged to act according to their policies otherwise simply take it off and go home. It's the same as any other business in America. The NFL has chosen to embrace the lack of respect calling it free speech therefore it's a direct reflection on the NFL. I hope the military severs ties with the NFL as well.
Exactly. The players not honoring the flag aren't exercising their 1A rights. What they're actually doing is representing their employer in an unprofessional manner while on the job. The second the NFL thinks it is hurting their bottom line, they'll do something about it. Until then, I suspect they'll put up with it.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it doesn't come to that. Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I thoroughly enjoy standing up honoring our country before the games. I cannot wait to do it in about 4 hours from now with my family at the Mariners game. I would rather see the league/teams play the anthem before the players come out than not play it at all.
I get that, but this is now becoming a hot button for both sides.
How about playing the Anthem before players take the field like they did in the past.

If I'm the NFL and/or a team owner I find a way to end this one way or another.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but this is now becoming a hot button for both sides.
How about playing the Anthem before players take the field like they did in the past.

OR, here's a thought, just a crazy idea. The players do what the fuck they're told to do while wearing a uniform they don't own standing in a stadium they don't own. You can have all the free speech you want in civilian clothes outside the stadium.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OR, here's a thought, just a crazy idea. The players do what the fuck they're told to do while wearing a uniform they don't own standing in a stadium they don't own. You can have all the free speech you want in civilian clothes outside the stadium.
I agree with you, problem is the ACLU doesn't.
Yes I'd say standing is a team function on see where it goes, but you know there will be a fight over it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fine the players that choose to disrespect the flag... Problem solved.