• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland unions say they'll refuse to hold flag at Browns' opening game

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, problem is the ACLU doesn't.
Yes I'd say standing is a team function on see where it goes, but you know there will be a fight over it.
I don't think the ACLU would stand a chance in a court of law and they know it. If you were an employee of Target and started to spout your political opinions in your place of work during work hours how long would you remain an employee?

This is just the NFL being cowardly. They penalize players for celebrating in the endzone after a TD. So much for freedom of expression. Take a page from Jerry Jones who is rumored to have quietly informed his staff that anybody sitting out the anthem may very well be finding themselves no longer part of the Cowboys franchise.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit, Cleveland is still a fecal franchise.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but this is now becoming a hot button for both sides.
How about playing the Anthem before players take the field like they did in the past.

If I'm the NFL and/or a team owner I find a way to end this one way or another.

Not bad. Or how about TV just showing the person singing the anthem & the flag & not showing the freaking players. Will never happen though since these lame media outlets use this type of crap to provide material for their lame TV discussion shows.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,896.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the ACLU would stand a chance in a court of law and they know it. If you were an employee of Target and started to spout your political opinions in your place of work during work hours how long would you remain an employee?

This is just the NFL being cowardly. They penalize players for celebrating in the endzone after a TD. So much for freedom of expression. Take a page from Jerry Jones who is rumored to have quietly informed his staff that anybody sitting out the anthem may very well be finding themselves no longer part of the Cowboys franchise.

Jones is an old school redneck.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free speech is not protected under the private sector.

ACLU can whine all it wants, but it's already been ruled on before. If the NFL or the team makes it a league, or organizational, mandate, they have to follow the mandate or they can be fined/suspended/etc.

Take it to court. They won't even get a sniff.

I also find it so ironic that they want to disrespect the very flag that fought for their freedom, and others' freedoms. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. You want change, and there are great ways to go about it, but committing an action that causes division does not bring about a healthy conversation or a positive viewpoint to whatever stance it is that someone is trying to make. There's also the fact that the stance inevitably becomes about the person(s) and not the cause they are championing for, which also works against their favor.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad. Or how about TV just showing the person singing the anthem & the flag & not showing the freaking players. Will never happen though since these lame media outlets use this type of crap to provide material for their lame TV discussion shows.
Great idea, but that doesn't sell ad time.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great idea, but that doesn't sell ad time.

They could also say that the anthem is sponsored by Bud (or whoever) & put all types of logos on the screen - someone would buy into that.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tr
They could also say that the anthem is sponsored by Bud (or whoever) & put all types of logos on the screen - someone would buy into that.
True, then they can blame Bud as the reason they won't show the players. I like it winners all around.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I'm in the stop playing the Anthem pregame corner.

I agree with this...always have. In fact, I wish they'd do away with all of the F-whatever flyovers and field sized flags and whatnot. It's just a game for general entertainment, and the only use for myself is time to tend to the BBQ, grab a beer or go take a piss or whatever. If all that is good, I'll change the channel until that stuff is done.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine them for not standing for the national anthem? lol

Nothing says patriotism like forcing people to stand for the national anthem by threatening them for not doing so.

God bless America.:usa2:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call BS! The minute you put on your employers uniform you are obliged to act according to their policies otherwise simply take it off and go home. It's the same as any other business in America. The NFL has chosen to embrace the lack of respect calling it free speech therefore it's a direct reflection on the NFL. I hope the military severs ties with the NFL as well.

I'm not a attorney, I do know a little about HR...but I'm pretty sure NFL teams or any employer in the U.S. cannot lawfully tell a person how they are to respond to the national anthem being played.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL should fine or suspend any player that doesn't stand for our national anthem. What they do in their free time is okay but they are representing the NFL when they put on the uniform.

I'd much rather see 100% participation in our national anthem performance before games, can teams mandate it?