• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly gets it.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is 7 of 33.
Not that much better.
Complain all you want. These guys are going nowhere. You are wasting your breathe
Who are the seven? Are they impact players? I'll bet several of them are. Which impact players have we drafted that are still on the team? That's the basis of your comparison, not the number remaining.

You keep impact players and nobody misses the others. The Patriots are also known to collect additional picks in the mid to later rounds, those are players you hope hang around as quality back ups with an occasional starter in the mix. How many 4th rd or later starters have we gotten?

Only TP seems to think that most of this board's expectations are that GM's are supposed to hit on every pick. Nobody expects that at all. But I think if you really wanted to break down the collective body of work from a draft perspective you are going to find that Mayhew will be in the bottom third of the league. How far down I don't really know, but I don't know why anyone would be content in having a GM that would rank that low.

The dude sucks, plain and simple.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are the seven? Are they impact players? I'll bet several of them are. Which impact players have we drafted that are still on the team? That's the basis of your comparison, not the number remaining.

You keep impact players and nobody misses the others. The Patriots are also known to collect additional picks in the mid to later rounds, those are players you hope hang around as quality back ups with an occasional starter in the mix. How many 4th rd or later starters have we gotten?

Only TP seems to think that most of this board's expectations are that GM's are supposed to hit on every pick. Nobody expects that at all. But I think if you really wanted to break down the collective body of work from a draft perspective you are going to find that Mayhew will be in the bottom third of the league. How far down I don't really know, but I don't know why anyone would be content in having a GM that would rank that low.

The dude sucks, plain and simple.
See- while I may not agree with this particular asshole, his argument is solid because he's willing to look at what was posted, and then analyzes what it means.

Basically, what his response, coupled with Old Lion's post, shows us is that New England "missed" on a ton of players, but the ones they hit on have formed the core of the current Super Bowl champs.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what I'd expect to hear from someone who can see past the honolulu blue sunglasses. The fact you are arguing this is hilarious.

How about this -- Why don't you put on the NFL general board a post stating how the Lions and Pats been very comparable in the draft since 2009. Let me know how it goes.

DUDE! Look at the Pats and Packers. They don't spend 100 million on a DT or go out and get big name free agents. The Lions are just like the Patriots and Packers. Real fans see it.

Mayhew actually assists New England on draft day. He told them to take Brady.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a dick, but that statement is narrow-minded to the point of absurdity. There's only 32 teams in the NFL, and we're on a website specifically to discuss football, and you're trying to say that the Patroits are SO good, and the Lions are SO bad, that comparing the two in any way is absurd? All while ignoring the fact that his comparison was completely germane to the topic at hand?

I can't get that germane to go bold

Last edited:

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how he could "not fit"? The dude lead the league in rushing the first year Kelly was in town.

The second year. They lose 4/5ths of their O-line and the guy still averages 4.3 ypc.

To me, Kelly is an egocentric coach who doesn't want to be out shined by any of his players. Dude will be back to coaching college soon and getting paid millions to do it once NFL coaches figure out how to defend his offense. That is after he runs the cupboard dry of talent.

Losing Desean Jackson, Maclin, Foles, McCoy. Those are all high quality players.
It seems genius to me. He gets the defensive rookie of the year(who was a 2nd round pick.) He replaces Mccoy with Murray who is IMO a better back, or in anyones opinion, very close at least. He also saved money on the deal.

Maclin...just signed a huge contract, I think Kelly's plan doesnt involve overpaying undersized wide receivers.
Jackson...another undersized wide receiver making big bucks. Going into his 8th season he's played in 16 games twice.
Both:had career years in Kelly's system.
Foles: I think Kelly really wants someone who can run that fits his system.

All in all, I think Kelly has the makings of a Belicheck...confidence in his system as a team system. Arrogant to the point that he thinks he can win with anybody. If he wins this year, then he is right, and he is in good cap shape. I'm confident they will be awesome next year, with Mariota at QB.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fans on this board amaze me with their blind faith
See- while I may not agree with this particular asshole, his argument is solid because he's willing to look at what was posted, and then analyzes what it means.

Basically, what his response, coupled with Old Lion's post, shows us is that New England "missed" on a ton of players, but the ones they hit on have formed the core of the current Super Bowl champs.

I guess posting the players the Patriots drafted by year wasn't enough. Your homer act is tiring. It is amazing a franchise can do no wrong, yet have one playoff win in 50 years.

I truly think you just want to argue. That is why I told you to put up this thread on the general board and you can't argue with every rational NFL fan when they laugh you back to this board.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can all agree on that. 2013 our first 6 picks are starters for us.

2013 was a great draft by Detroit. Ansah, Slay and Warford are all players Detroit can build around. I applaud the front office on that draft.

That being said -- you can say the 1st 6 picks have started for us at one point or the other, but Fuller and Devin Taylor have 2 starts a piece in 2 years. If that is the criteria -- we can say the top 7 picks are starters, as Riddick has 2 starts in 2 years too. In the end though -- it was a great draft by Detroit and one of the reasons why the team was successful last year (well -- with Ansah and Slay)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too lazy to post the individual text so here is what I was looking at for 2009-2011 drafts, but all the years are there.
New England Patriots All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Portsmouth Spartans All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The relevance of the guys in question is subjective IMO. 2011 did suck. We can all agree on that. 2013 our first 6 picks are starters for us.

Here is the main difference.

Ok the Pats got X amount of starters.
The Leo's got X amount of starters.

It's a lot easier to make the team/be a starter if the team you go generally a team that doesn't crack 10 wins.

It's considerably harder to find starters when your going to a team that wins 11-13 games every year and consistently picks in the bottom of the first round.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's first round selections- #1,2,10,13,20,23,30

NE has had the #27,17,21,25,29th.

All 5 of NE 1st rounders are still with the team

4 of Mayhew's 7 1st rounders are left. Most Lions fans agree we should of let Pettidrops walk too. Which would drop it to 3.

The Skinny- Mini-Millen has not only has more 1st round selections. He has had considerably higher picks, along with more holes to fill in the roster.

So yes, he is Mini-millen. At least when it comes to the draft. I'll give him props for most of his free agent signings though.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew's first round selections- #1,2,10,13,20,23,30

NE has had the #27,17,21,25,29th.

All 5 of NE 1st rounders are still with the team

4 of Mayhew's 7 1st rounders are left. Most Lions fans agree we should of let Pettidrops walk too. Which would drop it to 3.

The Skinny- Mini-Millen has not only has more 1st round selections. He has had considerably higher picks, along with more holes to fill in the roster.

So yes, he is Mini-millen. At least when it comes to the draft. I'll give him props for most of his free agent signings though.

Those are certainly valid points. Not sure it matters what round you get your best players from though. Brady was a 6th and Welker was a 7th. Many of their earlier round picks did not pan out.

Not saying Mayhew has done great by any stretch. Just saying that it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be by comparing him to who many consider the best. Also, I follow both teams.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I wish they'd hire a co-GM and just let Mayhew handle FA signings. Let whoever they hire handle the draft.

I kinda feel did in hiring Xanders. IMO though there is no way he wanted Ebron first. So even with his pretty good track record of scouting talent. Mayhew ultimately makes the decision.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are certainly valid points. Not sure it matters what round you get your best players from though. Brady was a 6th and Welker was a 7th. Many of their earlier round picks did not pan out.

Not saying Mayhew has done great by any stretch. Just saying that it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be by comparing him to who many consider the best. Also, I follow both teams.

I feel they're a step above in drafting and FA pickups than the Lions. Now the Lions really never have had the money sitting there without kicking the can. They will in the future, so will every other team also. Lions got hammered by 3 straight high picks before new CBA.

Every move looks worse OL because of that little or a lot of homer in us. You pay closer attention to the Lions moves naturally. Not sure I even want to see Mayhew being the guy making FA acquisitions when they do have money to spend. Not sure if the wrongdoings of Millen still haunting the Lions six years later or was it Mayhew doing wrong trying to fix Millen's wrongs?

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel they're a step above in drafting and FA pickups than the Lions. Now the Lions really never have had the money sitting there without kicking the can. They will in the future, so will every other team also. Lions got hammered by 3 straight high picks before new CBA.

Every move looks worse OL because of that little or a lot of homer in us. You pay closer attention to the Lions moves naturally. Not sure I even want to see Mayhew being the guy making FA acquisitions when they do have money to spend. Not sure if the wrongdoings of Millen still haunting the Lions six years later or was it Mayhew doing wrong trying to fix Millen's wrongs?

Chicken or the egg question. Mayhew has had plenty of time to make the Lions better AND HE HAS. I actually liked the Jahvid Best pick a lot at the time. He was the perfect RB with blazing speed to make defenses pay for dropping safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. To be honest, he showed his potential quite a bit as well. He has a few monster games including one against the Eagles and one against the Bears on MNF.

The head scratchers were Nick Fairley (just spent #2 pick last year on DT), trading up for Lesuck (just drafted Best in the first round the year before) and Ebron (Just re-signed Pettidrops to a big contract) for me though. Those are mistakes that not only looking back were stupid but also at the time stupid, Millensque.

Best (at the time), Reiff, Suh, Stafford, Ansah (I'll still thank him for that one). Those were all logical picks and solid picks at the time. Slay pick was out of nowhere to me and awesome too. Levy ended up turning his career around which saved MM quite a bit too.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dinosaur eggs were around long before the roosters showed up.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is this: if a rooster is sitting on the peak of a barn, and lays an egg, which side of the barn does the egg roll off of? The barn is aligned east-to-west, with an 8-12 pitch, 34 feet at the peak, 14 feet at the eaves...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is this: if a rooster is sitting on the peak of a barn, and lays an egg, which side of the barn does the egg roll off of? The barn is aligned east-to-west, with an 8-12 pitch, 34 feet at the peak, 14 feet at the eaves...

If a rooster laid an egg, his name is probably Mayhew.