• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly gets it.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly gets it....
Scheme is clearly more important than talented players....
Along with pounding the rock and sticking to fundamentals.

You might want to let the oddsmakers in Vegas know that the Eagles are having a terrible offseason. After the initial trades and free agent signings, their odds of winning the Super Bowl next year have dropped from 20-1 to 16-1.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to let the oddsmakers in Vegas know that the Eagles are having a terrible offseason. After the initial trades and free agent signings, their odds of winning the Super Bowl next year have dropped from 20-1 to 16-1.
It's all about individual perception on this board, my man. People here don't want to do any research, and especially no critical thinking... they make a snap assessment on something like Kelley's roster moves and then that ill-informed and often ignorant conclusion is set in stone and they will fiercely defend said opinion, regardless of validity...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh my god really??? Cashing out the equity in my home right now to bet on the Eagles. If only I could have gotten it at 20-1

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas doesn't know what they're talking about. They're just like GMs who don't hit on every single draft pick ever- a total crap shoot their odds are...

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god really??? Cashing out the equity in my home right now to bet on the Eagles. If only I could have gotten it at 20-1

9912ppo.gif

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about individual perception on this board, my man. People here don't want to do any research, and especially no critical thinking... they make a snap assessment on something like Kelley's roster moves and then that ill-informed and often ignorant conclusion is set in stone and they will fiercely defend said opinion, regardless of validity...

As I do agree to a degree with you. After research and whatnot that you do. You also stand firm on your opinion. Correct? Just because you think PFF is unbiased does not make there opinion correct. You live by that sites opinion all to often.
A formula they created to grade players. Some of these new formulas are decent measuring sticks or tools to judge by, IMO just not a exact science.

I will give you props for softening your stance on 1st round RB. BigBlie is trying to soften my stance on OL from gimmick offenses. Prolly will not work.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I do agree to a degree with you. After research and whatnot that you do. You also stand firm on your opinion. Correct? Just because you think PFF is unbiased does not make there opinion correct. You live by that sites opinion all to often.
A formula they created to grade players. Some of these new formulas are decent measuring sticks or tools to judge by, IMO just not a exact science.

I will give you props for softening your stance on 1st round RB. BigBlie is trying to soften my stance on OL from gimmick offenses. Prolly will not work.
You toss that word around like it's a pair of college buddies sitting around forming opinions on players without any real merit. We're talking about a professional statistics company. Their rankings may not be the end-all, be-all, but they are a huge piece in the puzzle of figure out a player. Nowhere else offers such comprehensive analysis. For those who chose to blow them off because they conflict with said person's highly scientific arm-chair analysis? Oh well, some people would rather be blissfully ignorant, I guess.

As for the 1st round RB thing, I still think it's generally a horrible idea. I'd take Gurley in the 1st this year and that's it. 1st round RBs have become increasingly risky over the last ten years or so, especially now that we're in the concussion era...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will stay blissful then. Even professionals fuck up. Hell look at Mayhew and Lewand, they screw up. Weather forecasters are professionals at their jobs, correct? They screw up at over a 50% rate. So IMO even PFF screw up from time to time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BigBlie is trying to soften my stance on OL from gimmick offenses. Prolly will not work.

well fuck, shit, cot dammit...... waste of my time then.. I'll just do what others do then when they don't get what they wanted

2247352_o.gif

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will stay blissful then. Even professionals fuck up. Hell look at Mayhew and Lewand, they screw up. Weather forecasters are professionals at their jobs, correct? They screw up at over a 50% rate. So IMO even PFF screw up from time to time.
I wasn't specifically calling you out as blissfully ignorant. I'm just surprised at the opposition PFF gets on here when the full analysis of a player doesn't mesh with someone's personal opinion.

Imo, it comes down to pride. Some people (often subconsciously) just can't handle the idea of amending their opinion with updated information as it becomes available. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, there's a fear associated with being perceived as weak in association with changing an opinion. Why? I have no idea, but it definitely seems to be that way.

And that last sentence still tells me you're not quite getting the PFF thing. There's no personal opinion to be had there- just film breakdown plugged into their formula. From my understanding they're staffed with scouts and former personnel guys, so the qualifications would seem to be there.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of PFF, they did rank our OLine as 14th best in the NFL for 2014. There were a lot of people claiming we were one of the worst OLines, not only currently, but of all time.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of PFF, they did rank our OLine as 14th best in the NFL for 2014. There were a lot of people claiming we were one of the worst OLines, not only currently, but of all time.
I think the huge drop-off in pass protection has a lot to do with the perception that our o-line was worse than it was.

We had one of the best lines in the league in 2013, and they took a big step back in 2014, so it probably seemed like they were absolutely horrible, even though they were a middle-of-the-pack unit.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think a similar thing will happen with our defense this coming season. Won't be bad, but people will be claiming it is.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are they former scouts? Was it because PFF pays better or they sucked in the NFL?

I am just more for basic stats that are concrete. YPC YAC comp.% ... I hate the QBR. Again, a formula someone devised and said" yep, this is the gold standard now". Not sure you pay attention to baseball? All those WAR and BIBiP E=MC2 shit... same shit concept. Tells a story, but not the hole story.
I like stats that divide one number into another. Concrete eveidence. Can't tweak those formulas.
I remember after a game you mentioned Bell's avg. for the game. Even sometimes my concrete division is not accurate to telling a story. Because if a guy has twenty carries and 17 are under 2-3 yards and he rips off one long run and two little 12 yarders... Numbers say he had a 6.6 YPC day. My eye test says we sucked in rushing that day for all but three plays. PFF says he had 6.6 and throws it in a bowl with six other variables and poof, this fucker rated out awesome per their formula. Then you or others feel because these guys are professionals, suddenly Bell is just as equal to some of his peers.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hate that PFF uses snaps in their formula. Sims gets beat and guy goes right by him. We see it on TV or live in person and scream " he sucks". Matt rolls to the right away from Sims' blown pass pro and passes before said DT makes a play. Does PFF say he got a snap without a sack? Sure, did he just get treated like a turn style? Yep. That is were I grade Sims.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the huge drop-off in pass protection has a lot to do with the perception that our o-line was worse than it was.

We had one of the best lines in the league in 2013, and they took a big step back in 2014, so it probably seemed like they were absolutely horrible, even though they were a middle-of-the-pack unit.

Dude, come on!!! You cant take 2013 and score them a 10 in pass-pro and then 2014 and score them a 3 and say we are an average line at 6.5. They were a 2 in run blocking each of those years as well.

2013 was 2013 and 2014 was 2014. O-line sucked last year, plain and simple. It's not a perception that they were bad, its a FACT.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think a similar thing will happen with our defense this coming season. Won't be bad, but people will be claiming it is.
I think our D will hardly miss a beat. Suh was the shit, but Ngata is certainly no slouch at all. No single player not named J.J. Watt can or will match Suh's disruptiveness on the interior, but I think we still have a helluva unit overall. Factor in young players like Slay, Whitehead, Ansah, and Taylor all maturing and improving and there's some good reasons to think we'll field a top-5 D again next year...

On the plus side we're returning one of the league's best secondaries from last season. When was the last time we could say that? We still need an upgrade at the nickel spot, but our starting pair of CBs played as well as a unit as all but the best handful of CB pairings in the league. There were a dozen or so individual CBs better than either or ours last year, but both our guys were top-20 at their position, so collectively they were right up there. Our safeties were arguably a top-5 pair. Quin has an argument as the single best safety in the league last year, certainly a top-5 player at his position. Ihedigbo isn't at that level, but as a true strong safety he's pretty damn good in his role...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also hate that PFF uses snaps in their formula. Sims gets beat and guy goes right by him. We see it on TV or live in person and scream " he sucks". Matt rolls to the right away from Sims' blown pass pro and passes before said DT makes a play. Does PFF say he got a snap without a sack? Sure, did he just get treated like a turn style? Yep. That is were I grade Sims.
Lol, you're not going to like me if I keep at it, but in all fairness that would go down as him getting beat and his grade would suffer for it. He gets hit worse if his guy beats him and causes pressure, but he still gets docked for getting beat like that.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheme plays a massive roll in the success of an O-line. Do people believe that the decline in the lines effectiveness was just a down year? As much as I hated Linehan for his inability to adjust/adapt, he did run an offense that featured a lot of quick outs to hide the deficiencies that existed on the O-line. Lack of time in the pocket also led Stafford to force things which many times resulted in interceptions or errant passes. Staffords' INT's went down not because of increased time but because he actually took the sack instead. I was screaming this last off-season. PFF gave them great rankings. I disagreed then. I was not surprised at all to see the line perform the way they did this season. The new scheme has just brought the lines deficiencies to light.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like it's hard to evaluate an O-lines true effectiveness in a quick out offense, it's hard to blame the line for giving up a sack in a Mike Martz offense. Rankings aren't going to tell either story very well without that crucial element being factored in.