• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly gets it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't even going to waste my time responding to OL's post, as the Lions and Patriots should never be mentioned in the same sentence, as they are two polar opposite franchises over the past couple decades.

I will just say this -- while the Lions are trading up for players, the Patriots trade back and accumulate picks. That is why you see the difference between the two teams draft picks.

Since you wanted to bring up 2009 too -- Detroit drafted THREE TIMES in 2009 before New England made a single pick.

In 2009, 2010 and 2011 -- Detroit had the 1st, 2nd and 13th pick in the draft. New England didn't have a first round pick in 2009, then had the 17th and 27th pick.

You know what -- OL was right. I'm just wasting my breathe. I know there will only be more excuses for Mayhew, no matter what I say. I will just agree.

I'm not going to compare what NE has done with what the Lions have done. It's an exercise in futility. But NE traded out of the first round and had more later round picks like twice and they got this reputation of always trading down. It probably had more to do with the salary cap or them just not liking what was available than them thinking they were smarter than everyone and could simply develop lower level talent and still win. I just don't understand why people are still regurgitating this.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't cal Murray injury prone. First two years? Yeah. A bit. But the last two years he's only missed 2 games and carried almost 400 times last year and played all 16 games. Maybe he just needed to pack on some pounds ala Matt Stafford? He had that label too early on.

Murray had a couple of injuries in college too

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to compare what NE has done with what the Lions have done. It's an exercise in futility. But NE traded out of the first round and had more later round picks like twice and they got this reputation of always trading down. It probably had more to do with the salary cap or them just not liking what was available than them thinking they were smarter than everyone and could simply develop lower level talent and still win. I just don't understand why people are still regurgitating this.

Here is a couple paragraphs talking about Belichick and NE's draft philosophy. It also states how NE rarely overpays in FA and will let a player walk (They have received 25 compensatory picks during his time with NE). It isn't that NE trades only first round picks to move back, though they have done so multiple times. They will trade picks like a 3rd round pick to Carolina, where they get a 2nd round pick the next year.

It also isn't about thinking they can develop players better than anyone. The NFL draft isn't an exact science. If it were -- no one would ever miss on draft picks. The more picks you have, the better chance you have to strike gold. Look no further than Brady, who was drafted with a compensatory pick in the 6th round, or Julian Edelman, who was drafted in the 7th round.

So I'm not sure why you seem to think it isn't the norm for NE to trade back -- they have done so more than any team in the NFL since Belichick took over and continue to do so.

Here is the paragraps I mentioned earlier -- I could post the link to the article if you'd like to read it. It has a catchy name to it: Method to the Madness -- How Beliechick rules the draft

Perhaps the most common characteristic of bad organizations is that they make a habit of giving away draft picks to trade up and acquire a player with an earlier selection. It’s almost always a strong sign that they simply don’t understand the game at hand. The evidence suggests the NFL draft is most likely a crapshoot, so even if your team’s draft board has a first-round grade on a player left in the middle of the second round, chances are that the rest of the league is right and you’re wrong. Teams do trade up and succeed, of course, in the same way that a drunk blackjack player hits on 16 against a five and wins sometimes, but it’s not an optimal strategy.

During his time in New England, Belichick has taken advantage of the misguided general managers and personnel men of the NFL by trading down over and over and over again. Some of the moves haven’t worked out, because Belichick isn’t a soothsayer, and there have been times when Belichick has traded up and been happy with his return. In terms of the Approximate Value from his assorted draft maneuverings, though, Belichick has built a monstrous record of success. It is impossible to imagine the Patriots appearing in this year’s Super Bowl without his massive returns in the trading market.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is Kelly will use z Bradford to trade up for Marriota. Guess the Rams ended up liking Foles more than the rookies?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is why he signed both Murray and Mathews. That way they don't have to carry the load and they can split it up. While I do agree McCoy is one of the elite RB's -- in the last two years -- I believe I read Murray has outproduced him by like 40 yards.

I do agree -- it will definitely be something to watch for regarding the Eagles team. Bradford is another injury prone guy they brought in.

People were calling Kelly crazy letting players like Maclin and Jackson walk, trading Foles and McCoy, but I think he has the team looking better than they were. They had holes at LB and the secondary. They trade McCoy and got one of the best young LB's in the NFL at an extreme discount. They then signed Walter Thurmond and Byron Maxwell to play CB from the money they saved on the McCoy trade.

Basically he took a team whose average age was almost 30 years old and brought in two new RB's, including the reigning Offensive player of the year from their biggest division rival, signed two new CB's and have one of better young LB's in the NFL under contract for a few years at 750k a year (i believe that is what I read).

I still think the Foles for Bradford trade was made, in part, because Murray and Bradford were roommates at Oklahoma and it was one of the keys of getting Murray to come to Philly.

It sounds crazy, but if Bradford can stay healthy -- I think he could have a monster year in Philly's offense. It made Sanchez into a viable QB and I didn't think that was possible. He set career highs, by a landslide, in YPG, YPA, Completion %, QB rating, etc. I think Bradford is more skilled and he ran a hurry up offense at Oklahoma, so he should thrive in this type of system.

I think you made a good overall case for what Kelly did. I guess when you say extreme discount, you mean his yearly salary because there is nothing that says extreme discount about giving up one of the NFL's best play makers.

First off, fuck Mathews. That guy will sit out games if he has a hang nail. Murray is always nicked up and banged up because of his running style as a bruiser and not a make you miss kind of guy. He just happened to stay healthy in his contract year (big surprise there).

Not sure if Bradford is the reason Murray came over either. More than likely cause Jerry Jones low balled him and Murray thought it was a good idea to go to their arch rival out of spite. Either of us could be right or a mixture of the two reasons. NFL players usually have big ego's though. I could see him going to the Eagles just to stick it to Jerry.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't cal Murray injury prone. First two years? Yeah. A bit. But the last two years he's only missed 2 games and carried almost 400 times last year and played all 16 games. Maybe he just needed to pack on some pounds ala Matt Stafford? He had that label too early on.

I'm pretty sure Murray was injury prone in college as well. To lazy to go back and look though. Personally I don't give a rats ass about Murray or the Eagles. Just fun football banter

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Murray was injury prone in college as well. To lazy to go back and look though. Personally I don't give a rats ass about Murray or the Eagles. Just fun football banter
He missed huge chunks of two seasons at OU.

Dallas knew what they were doing letting him walk.

Tremendous talent, but he was overused last year and I doubt he lasts long this upcoming season. (500 touches is more than Bradfords had in a few years) Im not touching him in fantasy this year.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He missed huge chunks of two seasons at OU.

Dallas knew what they were doing letting him walk.

Tremendous talent, but he was overused last year and I doubt he lasts long this upcoming season. (500 touches is more than Bradfords had in a few years) Im not touching him in fantasy this year.

Bradford has touched himself more than he has touched live NFL snaps over his career.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford has touched himself more than he has touched live NFL snaps over his career.
I wonder if Murray will feel like Rip Hamilton after Chauncey got dealt, once they unload Sam?

Brought him in as bait, but his buddy might not like it much if it all was really to get Chips rookie.

(I see the Browns are also looking at Bradford. That makes sense. They love shitty QBs that can't stay healthy.)

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Murray will feel like Rip Hamilton after Chauncey got dealt, once they unload Sam?

Brought him in as bait, but his buddy might not like it much if it all was really to get Chips rookie.

(I see the Browns are also looking at Bradford. That makes sense. They love shitty QBs that can't stay healthy.)

Browns just prefer all around shitty players.

They are like... NOOOO we don't need Julio Jones. Let's take Phil Taylor and 29 year old ginger QB Weeden instead.

NOOOOOO we don't need Sammy Watkins. Let's take Justin Gilbert instead.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Weeden pick made me laugh so damn hard.

I have no fucking clue how people keep their jobs when they pull shit like that. Kevin Costner would do no worse than Cleveland's real life front office.

Why the hell would someone use a first rounder on a guy whos prime years were spent in the Big12?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns just prefer all around shitty players.

They are like... NOOOO we don't need Julio Jones. Let's take Phil Taylor and 29 year old ginger QB Weeden instead.

NOOOOOO we don't need Sammy Watkins. Let's take Justin Gilbert instead.

Reminds me of Millen logic. Why take Demarcus Ware when we can draft a 3rd WR? Reminds me of Mayhew too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no fucking clue how people keep their jobs when they pull shit like that. Kevin Costner would do no worse than Cleveland's real life front office.

Why the hell would someone use a first rounder on a guy whos prime years were spent in the Big12?

No one should ever draft QBs from the Big 12. Tannehill is the only decent one out of a huge group of busts dating back to before Vince Young.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Browns logic. Plus Weeden had Blackmon saving his ass with all the YAC

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should ever draft QBs from the Big 12. Tannehill is the only decent one out of a huge group of busts dating back to before Vince Young.
Tannehill does kinda stand out compared to the rest from that conference.

He really will once the Pats division streak ends this year.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminds me of Millen logic. Why take Demarcus Ware when we can draft a 3rd WR? Reminds me of Mayhew too.

Millen tried playing Captain Hindsight. Saying he was talked out of taking Ware at the last minute. Lying mustache mother fugger.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen tried playing Captain Hindsight. Saying he was talked out of taking Ware at the last minute. Lying mustache mother fugger.

He probably was. I can totally see Mayhew wanting Williams instead.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill does kinda stand out compared to the rest from that conference.

He really will once the Pats division streak ends this year.

I doubt it. Pats are simply the best coached team in football, bar none. Best cheaters as well.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. Pats are simply the best coached team in football, bar none. Best cheaters as well.
Tom Brady had a rough week.

The best Corner in the league left, went to a division rival. The best RB in the league was traded to a division rival. The best DT in the league signed with a division rival....

And Reggie Bush didn't even spike his drink. That's a rough start to FAgency right there.