• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap going into 2014

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Nets I was just looking......

J Ratts contract as far as I can see isn't guaranteed after this year........ Would cost us 10 million to cut him now... but after this year it doesn't show any dead money... Which usually means isn't guaranteed.

Now not looking at that he is only owed 4 million in signing bonus past this season ( if guaranteed) and roughly 2.8 million in restructure bonus.
So from what I can see right now.... we can straight cut him at any time next year and save roughly 4.5 million? If they shoose to split that in half over two seasons even more.

That's gonna kind of be the writing on the wall for him. ( IMO)

LOL I'm just looking through it right now ... and going through the heavy hitters on the cap the next couple years.
Quick glance through it though.....
NFL penalty off of us
Newman's 2 million off of us.
(Quick question do we still owe GS 2.6 million in dead money next year?)
If Leary steps up ... Livings saves us roughly 1 million
MB would also save us roughly 1 million
Costa is history ... dont think that is even up for debate

These are all straight cuts not split over 2 years
Scandrick would cost 100k but split over 2 years save us 1/2 million and 5.6 million for a 3rd corner is pretty damn steep

We already know Spencer wont be brought back.

You know if we draft good... and a few of our young guys step up and we dont have to restructure.... we wont be in cap hell. Next year might be tight... and depending on what the Cowboys do ...... right now looking to me as if they can squash the cap issue next offseason with a good draft

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

J Ratts contract as far as I can see isn't guaranteed after this year........ Would cost us 10 million to cut him now... but after this year it doesn't show any dead money... Which usually means isn't guaranteed.

Now not looking at that he is only owed 4 million in signing bonus past this season ( if guaranteed) and roughly 2.8 million in restructure bonus.
So from what I can see right now.... we can straight cut him at any time next year and save roughly 4.5 million? If they shoose to split that in half over two seasons even more.

LOL I'm just looking through it right now ... and going through the heavy hitters on the cap the next couple years.
NFL penalty off of us

Scandrick would cost 100k but split over 2 years save us 1/2 million and 5.6 million for a 3rd corner is pretty damn steep

You know if we draft good... and a few of our young guys step up and we dont have to restructure.... we wont be in cap hell. Next year might be tight... and depending on what the Cowboys do ...... right now looking to me as if they can squash the cap issue next offseason with a good draft
but then you sprinkle in the Lee contract that is coming, & whoever else that is due. I think the boys will play the cap dance next year, but it isn't all doom & gloom like the skins capologist was thinking (from the other board, forgot who it was)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but then you sprinkle in the Lee contract that is coming, & whoever else that is due. I think the boys will play the cap dance next year, but it isn't all doom & gloom like the skins capologist was thinking (from the other board, forgot who it was)

Next year is going to be tight no matter how it plays out..... much like this offseason.

Just depending on how you work the numbers, another good draft, 1-2 young guys stepping up.... we don't have to live in cap hell.

If it's me I bite the bullet next year if this is a strong playoff team. Make sure I keep the youth here. Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones.... if he thinks we are close he is going to restructure and think we are a player away. That's been the Cowboys way since we went out and grabbed TO.

I have hope that mindset is gone.... But it's one of those see to believe situations. Same with our running game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL penalty off of us

1.) Let's get to Rat, if you are looking at Spotrac I understand where you are coming from. However they just did not do the dead money for him on future years as an error I suppose. You have to remember any bonus or restructure is guaranteed money that is paid up front and has to be accounted for. When you talk about this type of money, for cap reasons and accounting reasons you spread it out over the remainder of the contract and once cut, due to the fact it was paid already it has to be accounted for. So even though Rat does not have any dead money on Spotrac after this season, you individually still must calculate every remaining bonus and restructure bonus in an effort to see if there is any dead money on the books which in Rat's case there is.

2.) GS money was already paid to him, no dead money on the books for next season only Spears so far. We cut GS before June 1 and then he retired, so all dead money is on the books this year; but I think his cut saved us about 1MM in cap space.

3.) I was thinking Costa would be gone as well, then I started reading how he might start at RG this season. He has the strength to do so, and might actually be fairly solid at it. So I will wait to see how that works out this season. I say he is on the bubble for next season as of now though.

4.) If we draft well we could get by without having to add very much and only having to restructure Romo and probably Ware, you have to remember we want to sign Dez, Murray, TSmith, and Carter next season before there deals run out. Now with the new cba I know there are restrictions on dealing with new rookie contracts, and I have not read up to much on it; but I believe you can sign your players still before their deal runs out, but that they can't get a new deal. In other words if Collin Kap think he deserves a better contract as he has out played his rookie deal he can't hold out to get a better contract, but he could get resigned to another deal while in his contract, if that makes any sense.

5.) Next season will be key to our future, reason I had us restructure all the players I did is because TSmith, Dez, Lee, Carter, and Murray will probably cost us about 20-25MM in 2015. It's going to be tough but I think we find a way to keep all five and if one is let go it'll be Murray. Lee will be signed sometime this season, Dez is going no where and will probably give us a discount but still get mega bucks, TSmith will probably get a nice deal but not break the bank, Carter is still proving himself and depending on how he plays this season will determine his future deal. A lot to think about this year and next when it comes to the cap and future deals, not as easy as people make it; but it is do able.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year is going to be tight no matter how it plays out..... much like this offseason.

Just depending on how you work the numbers, another good draft, 1-2 young guys stepping up.... we don't have to live in cap hell.

If it's me I bite the bullet next year if this is a strong playoff team. Make sure I keep the youth here. Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones.... if he thinks we are close he is going to restructure and think we are a player away. That's been the Cowboys way since we went out and grabbed TO.

I have hope that mindset is gone.... But it's one of those see to believe situations. Same with our running game.

The problem here with "bitting the bullet" next season is that the contracts of Dez, Smith, Cater, and Murray are up in 2015 and you have to get them signed by next season so it isn't even a chance any of them walk in 2015. You could give Ware a new 5 year deal and restructure his contract some more, that would create a ton of cap space, but the point is there is no way around not restructuring the deals, at least none that I have seen of. I tell you what, look at the current deals of players at the same level as our pending FA's and look to see what they are getting and then from there calculate that and see how much money it'll cost us and then see if there is any way we can not restructure, and if you can do it, you have my vote to not only be the GM of Dallas, but also to help the U.S. turn around its debt as well lol.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas runs the risk of getting stuck in a cycle which will eventually come due. If the cap jumps up by 10-15 million in 2015, it will basically allow them to come even. But right now they currently have about $138 million dedicated to the cap in 2015. If the cap stays steady, it will grow by about $3 million a year over the next two years, making it about $130 million in 2015. SO thats $8 million over... not to bad actually until you also factor in the fact that the $138 only accounts for 31 players. So thats $8 million over and needing to sign 22 players. Even if the cap jumps to $140 million, that would leave $2 million to sign 22 players. Hard stretch. And none of this accounts for resigning of Dez, Lee and others or bringing in new talent.

Not poking sticks, just saying that we have seen this cycle before in both Washington AND Dallas if you think back to the time when Emmitt was released and Aikman retired. There are things Dallas can and likely will do to keep and sign new players, but at some point this kind of accounting becomes a zero sum equation where the likely outcome is the Campo/Spurrior years.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....Washington fans remain worried about Dallas.

I still think you guys should worry about cashing all those checks you've written this summer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas runs the risk of getting stuck in a cycle which will eventually come due. If the cap jumps up by 10-15 million in 2015, it will basically allow them to come even. But right now they currently have about $138 million dedicated to the cap in 2015. If the cap stays steady, it will grow by about $3 million a year over the next two years, making it about $130 million in 2015. SO thats $8 million over... not to bad actually until you also factor in the fact that the $138 only accounts for 31 players. So thats $8 million over and needing to sign 22 players. Even if the cap jumps to $140 million, that would leave $2 million to sign 22 players. Hard stretch. And none of this accounts for resigning of Dez, Lee and others or bringing in new talent.

Not poking sticks, just saying that we have seen this cycle before in both Washington AND Dallas if you think back to the time when Emmitt was released and Aikman retired. There are things Dallas can and likely will do to keep and sign new players, but at some point this kind of accounting becomes a zero sum equation where the likely outcome is the Campo/Spurrior years.

Yet the key is still drafting well. If the Boys have 3-4 good drafts in the next seasons, than you have talent at a less expensive cost. You can't project the cap for 2015 and to say that it will be 140 when it could be 150 is silly. All things work out eventually, and the difference between the Emmitt and Aikman years is that those hits were spread over 1-2 years where as these restructures are over 4-5 years.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work, Nets.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the key is still drafting well. If the Boys have 3-4 good drafts in the next seasons, than you have talent at a less expensive cost. You can't project the cap for 2015 and to say that it will be 140 when it could be 150 is silly. All things work out eventually, and the difference between the Emmitt and Aikman years is that those hits were spread over 1-2 years where as these restructures are over 4-5 years.

Drafting well is definitely the key. Question is can you trust Jones to draft well?

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol....Washington fans remain worried about Dallas.

I still think you guys should worry about cashing all those checks you've written this summer

That's your problem, you can't discuss your team with rival fans without becoming defensive. Try to add to the conversation every once in a while, or intelligently refute points made, if you have it in you. Your canned responses are played out.

Past that, the Redskins have 35+ million in cap space next year, so what checks are you talking about? Since you want to turn this thread down that path...

Maybe you should just let the people who know what they are talking about talk about it.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting well is definitely the key. Question is can you trust Jones to draft well?

Riddle me this which team has more drafted starters or players for that matter? :noidea:

#Checkmate:yahoo:

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good drafting is the key

This years draft was well we will c IMHO but we have to shore up the OL and DL next year but hey that's a long ways away

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good drafting is the key

This years draft was well we will c IMHO but we have to shore up the OL and DL next year but hey that's a long ways away

"IEATZ28" Courtesy of the Red Rocker. Sorry Colors, but I have wanted to say that the first time I saw your tag.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is going to be offsetting each players "big year"

Not even looking at numbers just throwing an example out off the top of my head.

See we can resign guys..... Like I said this is just an example not how it will actually work...
Dez could play for 2-3 million a year.... then get a huge year where he makes 15 million
and on down the line.... Key is when they do the contracts.... you can't but but one or two guys getting a huge payout in the same year. That's the tricky part with contracts and why we discuss it on a forum and why they make millions figuring it out.

But yeah most times.... when you sign a couple of guys in the same offseason. There is going to be a couple playing cheap that year.... and the others get their pay out later in the contract. The key for the player(s) is guaranteed money. Especially if it's given to smeone like Lee for example.... who has had a history thus far with injuries.
I mean hell Romo played for peanuts for a few years of his last contract...... The whole league is structured like that. 70 million over 7 years is anything but that. The guy might make 4 million one year..... 15 million in another year. then go back to 4 million the next... then up to 8.......
Contracts aren't dived up evenly over the years of the deal.

Which to me is the complicated part of the whole thing. You actually have to sit down and say ok 2015 is the year we will pay A and B... 2016 we'll make it up to C and D and on down the line

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez could play for 2-3 million a year.... then get a huge year where he makes 15 million
and on down the line.... Key is when they do the contracts.... you can't but but one or two guys getting a huge payout in the same year. That's the tricky part with contracts and why we discuss it on a forum and why they make millions figuring it out.

Only reason this cant work is because of the rule of 125% in other words base salary cant go up more than 125% in any given contract year. Its why teams give signing bonuses and spred it across the life of the deal.

If you give Dez a $40 million deal over four years and pay him $10 million in bonus, you cant split the other $30 million as 3+3+3 +21. It would have to be 5+7+8+10=30 And even there his cap numbers would be $$7.5 , 9.5, 10.5 and 12.5 respectively in each year.

Admittedly I just pulled numbers and years out of thin air for demonstration, but the rule of 125% is a mother, and it was the ultimate justification for both teams cap sanctions.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only reason this cant work is because of the rule of 125% in other words base salary cant go up more than 125% in any given contract year. Its why teams give signing bonuses and spred it across the life of the deal.

If you give Dez a $40 million deal over four years and pay him $10 million in bonus, you cant split the other $30 million as 3+3+3 +21. It would have to be 5+7+8+10=30 And even there his cap numbers would be $$7.5 , 9.5, 10.5 and 12.5 respectively in each year.

Admittedly I just pulled numbers and years out of thin air for demonstration, but the rule of 125% is a mother, and it was the ultimate justification for both teams cap sanctions.

Wrong ...... Ratliff is making less than 50% this year than he will next... wouldn't be making that much except for the restructured money.

I can send you the new CBA if you want to read it. A player can make 2.5 million this year... and 15 million next year.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riddle me this which team has more drafted starters or players for that matter? :noidea:

#Checkmate:yahoo:

Not really. You didn't answer the question.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you another thing they can do ....

say I had 20 million guaranteed money in my contract.

But this year... I was set to collect on 4 million in bonus money with a 12 million base salary.

They could hand me 16 million this year... just switch the base to the bonus (guaranteeded money) well not that much you get minimum base.

But right there alone is 16 million off the 20 I guaranteed... The the rest is base salary ..... and they can cut me cheap as hell after the year.

Granted you have to have cap space to do that.... but yes you can do it