• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can you imagine...

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Appreciate the in depth analysis. I got it I won't convince you. Please explain your rationale. I can be convinced.

Let's start with Lynch, no way that guy was gonna be stuffed, no way! Seattle had New England gassed and on their heels... Next a 5'11 qb throwing a quick slant has a very good chance of being tipped, batted by a lineman and picked off, and if your gonna go shot gun you still fake the handoff to lynch, then let Wilson have the option of running it himself, finding a quick open receiver or simply throwing it away... All low risk high reward plays. The call made was fuckin stupid, and most players and coaches took to Twitter and have said" dumbest call ever" i don't need to convince anyone, the proof is New England won. game over. The call made had 3 things that could have happened, and two of them were bad.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's start with Lynch, no way that guy was gonna be stuffed, no way! Seattle had New England gassed and on their heels... Next a 5'11 qb throwing a quick slant has a very good chance of being tipped, batted by a lineman and picked off, and if your gonna go shot gun you still fake the handoff to lynch, then let Wilson have the option of running it himself, finding a quick open receiver or simply throwing it away... All low risk high reward plays. The call made was fuckin stupid, and most players and coaches took to Twitter and have said" dumbest call ever" i don't need to convince anyone, the proof is New England won. game over. The call made had 3 things that could have happened, and two of them were bad.

I think you are mostly right on Lynch. He is their best goal line option.

I think you are making too big a deal though on the probability of an INT on that play. There is no evidence that Wilson throws INTs because he is short. In fact, he threw 285 passes under 10 yards on the season and only had one of those intercepted. By comparison, Lynch carried the ball 280 times and had one fumble. So it seems the odds of a INT on a short pass or a fumble on a run are about the same.

Your logic that NE won, therefore your right is just all wrong. That is results oriented thinking. A bad outcome could have happened with a called run. We will never know.

Your logic that people on twitter agree with you is all wrong as well. Being in the majority doesn't make you more right...just popular.

You ignore the fact that passing on one of the first two plays, guarantees (assuming no turnover), that you will have time for three plays. Three attempts will always give you a better chance than two, even if the extra chance is sub optimal.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also challenge you to find a single NFL coach that criticized the call. The only one I could find that commented was Belichick...."There has been a lot of criticism that I don't think is anywhere close to being deserved or founded," Belichick said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on sports radio WEEI in Boston. "That football team is very good, very well-coached, and Pete does a great job. "Malcolm and Brandon [Browner], on that particular play, just made a great play. I think the criticism they've gotten for the game is totally out of line and by a lot of people who I don't think are anywhere near even qualified to be commenting on it."

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also challenge you to find a single NFL coach that criticized the call. The only one I could find that commented was Belichick...."There has been a lot of criticism that I don't think is anywhere close to being deserved or founded," Belichick said Tuesday during his weekly appearance on sports radio WEEI in Boston. "That football team is very good, very well-coached, and Pete does a great job. "Malcolm and Brandon [Browner], on that particular play, just made a great play. I think the criticism they've gotten for the game is totally out of line and by a lot of people who I don't think are anywhere near even qualified to be commenting on it."

:agree:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Malcolm and Brandon [Browner], on that particular play, just made a great play. I think the criticism they've gotten for the game is totally out of line and by a lot of people who I don't think are anywhere near even qualified to be commenting on it."

That's beautiful.

And then there's some of us who do think like the guys who are qualified. And we all understand the call.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you don't understand the call, because your logic is misguided. This was not just a short pass, this was a pass from the one yard line where the entire defense is up close to the line of scrimmage, not all spread out. Everyone's in tight.... Th probability of a tip or pick goes us tremendously. Next give me the probability that Marshawn Lynch loses yards on a carry vs a defense that was clearly gassed and on their heels? With that much time the right call every time is run that beast right behind your best lineman!

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok this is my last post about this bullshit call. I'm watching last year's superbowl on nfl network and the funniest thing happen. In the 2qt with about 12mins left, the Seahawks had a 2nd & goal at the 1 and they did the strangest thing. They ran Lynch for the TD! Go figure. The Broncos had a goal line D. Just one more proof that was dumbest call ever.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok this is my last post about this bullshit call. I'm watching last year's superbowl on nfl network and the funniest thing happen. In the 2qt with about 12mins left, the Seahawks had a 2nd & goal at the 1 and they did the strangest thing. They ran Lynch for the TD! Go figure. The Broncos had a goal line D. Just one more proof that was dumbest call ever.

Stop making sense! :suds:

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So go back to the Giants game and you will see Lynch get stuffed several times in a row from the one.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already agreed that lynch is Seattle's best goal line option. But its far from a sure thing. The play call really comes down to two things. One is that you need to call one pass to give yourself 3 plays rather than 2. And the other is the misconception that the play was risky. I really have no issue with lynch running and expect the would have run him on the next. They just ran into the 1 in a 100 shot that the ball would be turned over on that play. The play selection did not decide this game. Execution did. The Seattle receivers were beat by the NE dbs on that play.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have already agreed that lynch is Seattle's best goal line option. But its far from a sure thing. The play call really comes down to two things. One is that you need to call one pass to give yourself 3 plays rather than 2. And the other is the misconception that the play was risky. I really have no issue with lynch running and expect the would have run him on the next. They just ran into the 1 in a 100 shot that the ball would be turned over on that play. The play selection did not decide this game. Execution did. The Seattle receivers were beat by the NE dbs on that play.
Worst call ever.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thinking one play and your right that their very best option on one play is Lynch. If it was 4th down or if there were 5 Seconds left you would run it with Lynch.

A good play caller isn't thinking one play. They are mapping out three plays and deciding which play to run on which down. With the time restrictions you need to make one of the first two a pass and you want to choose a play first that won't lose yards. Factoring in that NE is in goalline and lynch may be just a little winded from the last play, it leads you to choose a quick hitting pass play on second, run a play to Lynch on 3rd, and then if necessary you call your time out and figure out 4th down.

Again though it was execution that decided the game. Seattle was slow to the line after the big play prior which limited the options and the receivers did a poor job on the interception. The players on the field decided the outcome.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thinking one play and your right that their very best option on one play is Lynch. If it was 4th down or if there were 5 Seconds left you would run it with Lynch.

A good play caller isn't thinking one play. They are mapping out three plays and deciding which play to run on which down. With the time restrictions you need to make one of the first two a pass and you want to choose a play first that won't lose yards. Factoring in that NE is in goalline and lynch may be just a little winded from the last play, it leads you to choose a quick hitting pass play on second, run a play to Lynch on 3rd, and then if necessary you call your time out and figure out 4th down.

Again though it was execution that decided the game. Seattle was slow to the line after the big play prior which limited the options and the receivers did a poor job on the interception. The players on the field decided the outcome.
DPD we can do this forever, so I think it's best we just agree to disagree....I will say this, whether it's the Eagles or a high school team, I'm a firm believer of old school smash mouth football from the 1 yard line.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DPD we can do this forever, so I think it's best we just agree to disagree....I will say this, whether it's the Eagles or a high school team, I'm a firm believer of old school smash mouth football from the 1 yard line.

I fully understand your.preference and have no issue with that. I may have preferred a running play there as well.

but there is a big difference between referring a play aand it being the worst call ever. My main point of issue is the way the media and fans dumped on these guys and immediately labeled it as one of the worst blunders in football hostory. And they didn't focus on the execution but rather the play call. When one can make a cogent argument for the call, it clearly is not one of the worst calls ever.

It we one of the worst and most shocking results. And it's fair to blame the players that messed up and even the front office that let.Harvin and Tate go. But everyone focused on the relatively small issue of the play call that while unsuccessful and unpopular was not as horrible as the media claimed.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, everyone I have talked to agreed that it was the Worst call in NFL history.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, everyone I have talked to agreed that it was the Worst call in NFL history.

See here is where you are just wrong. We have talked about this at length and obviously I do not think its the worst call ever so "everyone" is not accurate. You have this habit of simply making wrong statements. In this thread you claimed:
- that NFL coaches called it a bad call when not a single one has,
- you stated it was a high risk play when by every statistic it was at most a 1% risk of INT,
- and you continue to back up your arguments with statements to the affect of everyone agrees with me, which really is ridiculous. When measuring correctness, popularity is not relevant.

ErkTheJerk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's play Jeopardy!

10930923_10155752378417355_7960272329701536562_n.jpg