• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can you imagine...

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and SACK. Game over. Nice play call. Way to lose the Super Bowl.

Come on Enut, this is weak. He can run it in if it's wide open or throw it away real quick. Either way it is a quick decision and they still had a timeout left. Nah, lets throw it over the middle on the freaking one yard line. INTERCEPTION! Nice play call. Way to lose the Super Bowl!

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love for all you guys that talk about how risky is that play to actually come up with some data on how often an INT has happened on that play call or one similar. You haven't because you can't. Since 1998, there have been 33 passes thrown in that situation and not a single pick.

Super Bowl 49: How unlikely was Russell Wilson's interception? - CBSSports.com

BTW, of the 53 run plays in that situation, there were two fumbles.

Dave who the hell needs data here when you can have logic? I don't need history or any kind of numbers to tell me that was as dumb a play call as it gets. Out of every single human being I have talked to in person, not one says that was a good call. Bringing out numbers in this case would be over analyzing. That is not who the Seahawks were. They went away from their strength and got cute at the one yard line.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave who the hell needs data here when you can have logic? I don't need history or any kind of numbers to tell me that was as dumb a play call as it gets. Out of every single human being I have talked to in person, not one says that was a good call. Bringing out numbers in this case would be over analyzing. That is not who the Seahawks were. They went away from their strength and got cute at the one yard line.

So you would prefer they plan two runs rather than two runs and one pass?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer they not throw over the middle on 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line.

As a playcaller, you need to think three plays ahead in this situation, and with the time left, one of the first two has to be a pass.

You also don't want to lose yardage on a play. A QB rollout, or a corner fade, both take a little more time and there is a potential of a QB sack.

The quick hitting pass has the advantage of almost never losing yardage, and almost never being turned over. Its either a TD or incomplete 99% of the time. Its fine to say its a risky play, but it really isn't. There is no history anyone can point to of this play call resulting in a turnover.

So the best 3 play sequence is a quick hitting pass, followed by a run and then either another run, or a Wilson rollout (when you are no longer worried about negative yardage).

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a playcaller, you need to think three plays ahead in this situation, and with the time left, one of the first two has to be a pass.

You also don't want to lose yardage on a play. A QB rollout, or a corner fade, both take a little more time and there is a potential of a QB sack.

The quick hitting pass has the advantage of almost never losing yardage, and almost never being turned over. Its either a TD or incomplete 99% of the time. Its fine to say its a risky play, but it really isn't. There is no history anyone can point to of this play call resulting in a turnover.

So the best 3 play sequence is a quick hitting pass, followed by a run and then either another run, or a Wilson rollout (when you are no longer worried about negative yardage).

ANY pass would have been better than that play over the middle. The pass catcher would have to fight for one measly yard. In that situation, they did not go out with their best. I bet that has to be the most frustrating thing for the Seahawks players.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on two counts. One is that it was poorly executed. The one receiver did not block well, and the other receiver did not establish position correctly and Wilson led the ball inside too much.

Two is that it was such a logical call that the Patriots obviously saw it coming. With the formation and the situation, the Patriots, impressively were able to quickly go through the same logic I discussed here and surmised what the play call was. The Patriots were clearly inside the Seahawk playbook and knew exactly what was coming. The DB broke on the ball and beat the WR to the spot.

If there was anything wrong with the playcall it was that it was too obvious.