• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can you imagine...

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See here is where you are just wrong. We have talked about this at length and obviously I do not think its the worst call ever so "everyone" is not accurate. You have this habit of simply making wrong statements. In this thread you claimed:
- that NFL coaches called it a bad call when not a single one has,
- you stated it was a high risk play when by every statistic it was at most a 1% risk of INT,
- and you continue to back up your arguments with statements to the affect of everyone agrees with me, which really is ridiculous. When measuring correctness, popularity is not relevant.
I was referring to in person, not online....I should have been clear on that.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deerpathdave I think your taking this personally....however if proof is what you need here are tons of NFL guys, Several HALL OF FAMERS far more qualified than you or I and they 100% agree with my statement.

Twitter reaction to Seattle Seahawks' fourth-quarter play call - ESPN

My Favorite Quote "1 timeout left and Beastmode in the backfield, I wouldn't have thrown it to JERRY RICE!"

Even our own BDAWK had something to say!

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad play call but not because it was a pass. It was bad because it was too risky a throw. Just throw a fade if u wanna throw there.

It's easy to say a run is the only way to go there but u are not granted a td on a run. If u don't make it on a run there, u lose a down...assuming u r running it again on 3rd down.
No guarantees on scoring a rushing td from the 1. Even with beast mode.

More likely? Sure but again u lose a down as well if u don't make it.
In the end, who gives a shit. We have bigger issues to think about than this. This shit is for hawks fans to argue about.

Last edited by a moderator:

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deerpathdave I think your taking this personally....however if proof is what you need here are tons of NFL guys, Several HALL OF FAMERS far more qualified than you or I and they 100% agree with my statement.

Twitter reaction to Seattle Seahawks' fourth-quarter play call - ESPN

My Favorite Quote "1 timeout left and Beastmode in the backfield, I wouldn't have thrown it to JERRY RICE!"

Even our own BDAWK had something to say!

Yeah I read that. And not a single one of those guys has ever called the plays in an NFL game. It's the same sort of reactionary stuff that fans and the media had. Its not a secret that Seattle's best option is Lynch. If you only have one play that is what you do. If you have 3 (but only two if you run), you call it differently. I have no doubt that virtually every one of these guys would see it differently if they really thought it through.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I have wasted more time than I care to on this topic. You have your opinion, I have mine. The Super Bowl is over, so clearly it is what it is.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I have wasted more time than I care to on this topic. You have your opinion, I have mine. The Super Bowl is over, so clearly it is what it is.

Well, you will have the honor of knowing that the Super Bowl lore will rank it one of the worst calls in history. I will continue to be annoyed at just how wrong they are.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst call ever.

This was one of the worst calls in NFL history. How someone could actually defend it is beyond me. That call was horrendous. You run the ball or roll out Wilson period. Throwing the ball over the middle at the one yard line would have been the absolute last thing on my mind. I don't need stats, or history, or whatever anyone has to say on why this wasn't a bad call. They lost the freaking game on a stupid play call period. The play resulted in a turnover. How could this possibly be defended? Ah nevermind, I don't want to hear it for one and secondly you're wrong if you tried.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few coaches would have made that call. Very, very few. There's always a reason or a way to defend a call. It doesn't change the fact that the call was flat out stupid. If they had scored on that play I would have been the first to say,"What the hell were they thinking? That play could have very easily ended in a bad way" Well guess what. It did. With Lynch at the one it's either a hand off or a read option play in which Wilson could run it in, throw it in, or throw it away quickly. MUCH less risk there. This play wasn't at the 2,3, or 4 yard line. It was at the one! Hello!

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the pass had been completed for a touchdown and they won the game. Would it still be the worst play? Like most, I would have run the ball so don't get me wrong. Wilson should have read the coverage and passed to his back shoulder. The pass probably gets broken up but there is no interception. Maybe Wilson is too short to see the coverage.

He put the game in Wilson's hands and he threw a pick. You will never hear him saw it but I am sure he wishes he had called a run play. hehe

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the pass had been completed for a touchdown and they won the game. Would it still be the worst play? Like most, I would have run the ball so don't get me wrong. Wilson should have read the coverage and passed to his back shoulder. The pass probably gets broken up but there is no interception. Maybe Wilson is too short to see the coverage.

He put the game in Wilson's hands and he threw a pick. You will never hear him saw it but I am sure he wishes he had called a run play. hehe

Key point there is the game was won and lost on the field. If the play is well executed they either win of have two more downs. You don't see interceptions on plays like that ever. Not sure if there was another one all year by any team? Those short slants are low risk plays.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key point there is the game was won and lost on the field. If the play is well executed they either win of have two more downs. You don't see interceptions on plays like that ever. Not sure if there was another one all year by any team? Those short slants are low risk plays.

I completely understand the logic you are trying to present. It's almost buyable, and I respect that it irk's you personally. But the short slants that are low risk plays like that - are not at the 1 yard line when the defense is stacking the box for the run. Your throwing into 'FAR' more traffic than is usual for a short slant. I think you see a shuffle pass more so there than that type of pass. I think you have to consider the situation of time remaining; score and weight of that play call as well as why this play is magnified so much. You have the top rushing RB in the league and a quarterback that runs as well as Wilson - it does really seem like the worst call to make to pass it over the middle in that situation. I agree, if they made it - no one gives it the news we do now. But we live in a society that often only sees beyond the end justifies the means. He makes it - great call. He doesn't - worst ever. But trying to be objective as possible, I still think it was a horrible call given your other options and the fact you had multiple attempts to get it in.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have my answer in the previous post.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not at the one yard line. There's too much that could go wrong there and I would have been very concerned about attempting a pass play over the middle with such a short quarterback. Not at the one yard line no way.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the short slants that are low risk plays like that - are not at the 1 yard line when the defense is stacking the box for the run. Your throwing into 'FAR' more traffic than is usual for a short slant.

Except it wasn't a linebacker that made the play. It was two cornerbacks. The upfront traffic was minimal.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at the one yard line. There's too much that could go wrong there and I would have been very concerned about attempting a pass play over the middle with such a short quarterback. Not at the one yard line no way.

I would love for all you guys that talk about how risky is that play to actually come up with some data on how often an INT has happened on that play call or one similar. You haven't because you can't. Since 1998, there have been 33 passes thrown in that situation and not a single pick.

Super Bowl 49: How unlikely was Russell Wilson's interception? - CBSSports.com

BTW, of the 53 run plays in that situation, there were two fumbles.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what play was called. If it works it is a great play call. If it doesn't then it was a bad play call. The only thing that makes this so significant is it cost them the SuperBowl. We should really argue about something we may be able to come to and agreement on.

"What can first? The Chicken or the Egg?" :D