• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

C#, Java, or other.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't particularly care between the two. I've done more java and like it slightly better but it's not a huge deal. Back before I knew any C at all I'd still answer questions in a couple places with my java experience and had no issues.

I've played with a few languages now, though. Of the top of my head I've used java, c#, python, ruby, octave, php, JavaScript (a fucking nightmare, for the record), objective c, basic, assembly language (makes you seriously appreciate high level languages), uh, perl?, and I guess a couple others I can't think of ATM. The differences are mostly superficial among those that are commonly used.

Last edited by a moderator:

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've used BASIC, C#, small amounts of C++, even less java and some random scripting languages (including ActionScript, which IIRC is based on javaScript, and is pretty terrible).

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably going to at least download and check out python and see if it will meet my needs.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learn Python

It is simple enough that complete beginners to code can use it but it's a solid overview for those with coding experience jumping into the language as well.

Regardless of your language choice, if you have any questions about what you're doing I can probably help.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of Linux stuff is now being done in python but just haven't gotten the urge to program anything for Linux yet. Might check it out if I don't die first. :laugh3:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It works as well on PC and Mac. Hell, I have it (though a slightly dated version) on my iPhone as iPad.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I setup python and did a quick look around that book you linked and played in some code for a minute.

That book is geared toward novices which is fine, but I'm going to look around for a quick resource.

I started programming in 1980 by breaking down games written in line numbered basic. I taught myself pascal and several other languages by the time I was 13. Mostly just using syntax reference sheets and trial and error.

I don't need tutorials on how if/then/else, for/next, etc works. I just need to learn about the structure and tools.

I will ask though if there are tools that sort of do what VB was good at in terms of making creating GUI interfaces for your apps easy. In other words tools for making an app window, adding elements to it, and being able to tinker with the various parts of it easily. I don't want to spend time on the visual components. I just want to work out code and routines and use basic visual outputs.

Hunter Montana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NetBeans is a pretty good IDE for creating GUIs. You can drag and drop elements pretty easy to create a GUI. Here is a good tutorial.

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/quickstart-gui.html

C# might have something similar in Visual Studio, but I don't know. I use to create GUIs using C++ and Visual Studio and it had capabilities to drag and drop elements, align elements, etc.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know I need to find the right IDE and I've seen references to netbeans and eclipse among others.

I'm not creating hardcore graphics intensive apps, nor doing deep scientific routines. A light weight IDE that lets you build quick user interfaces is all I need. I don't care about coding tools and I used to just code in notepad at one point. I still write DHTML pages that way at times.

I installed Python 2.7 if that makes a difference. Didn't jump to the 3.x line as I read there are some gaps in plugin support and isn't as widely adapted as the 2.x line.

So any decent lightweight IDE that supports python 2.7 would work.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but I want easy visual elements along with easy coding and python looks like it fits the latter quite nicely.

My limited look into anything .net appeared to me that it was far more frustrating in that area. Hell, not surprised .net basic isn't talked about at all given that they killed all of the benefit of it by making it as rigid as C. They totally ignored why people used basic to begin with. If you want to just whip up a quick app why make people go through the formal rigid structure of a more advanced language if they don't need the extra power that comes with it?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just use a text editor and terminal, for what it's worth. For windows the most common suggestion python-wise I've seen is idle.

As for the book, fair enough. I already had experience with a few languages and found that a quick, light jump into the syntax, but if you want something different I mY have that as well .

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically enough low level languages like embedded C or Assembly are probably harder to understand and code for since you don't have built in library functions to decipher your projects like you can on Java, Python or C++.. Personally I think something like codeblocks is the best all purpose compiler you can use.. C# is really great for creating .net web applications and like and earlier poster stated, very similar to Java..