• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye Bye Matt

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, not hugely surprised, and I think it's the right move, but he certainly was a great running back for us and I hope he gets the money he is looking for.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was not looking to break the bank, just get a respectable offer. Bears showed no respect.

Reactions: DJ

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they didn't... They were honest and it was a smart team decision. AND They RESPECTED him by telling him early- and honestly. It would have been worse if they waited 4-5 months, left him hanging and than offered a lowball deal. No harm what-so-ever.

They have some pieces in place already to replace Forte... they can use the money they would have paid him elsewhere. Don't go all meatball and start this "disrespect" crap. Even Forte himself understands the business side of it.

C

cubzzzfanincali

He was not looking to break the bank, just get a respectable offer. Bears showed no respect.

aside from the fact that you have no idea what they actually offered, nor what he actually would have taken, let's pretend for a second that we knew the numbers, and that they turned him down anyway. My question to you would be "so what?" This is a professional football team, not Outward Bound, a NA group, a bunch of victims of domestic violence, or Black Lives Matter. This is not about self-esteem. It is about winning football games, and using every penny of salary cap space in the best way possible to get as much talent as you can. Period.

Yeah, I hope Matt's feelings aren't hurt. That would be really nice. If they are, maybe he can use some of the $30.4 million he got paid to play football these last four years to hire a psychotherapist to help him analyze his feelings of worthlessness. Meanwhile, hopefully the Bears can win a Super Bowl someday.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they didn't... They were honest and it was a smart team decision. AND They RESPECTED him by telling him early- and honestly. It would have been worse if they waited 4-5 months, left him hanging and than offered a lowball deal. No harm what-so-ever.

They have some pieces in place already to replace Forte... they can use the money they would have paid him elsewhere. Don't go all meatball and start this "disrespect" crap. Even Forte himself understands the business side of it.

Its your linus losing another security blanket and another excuse for your guy when they win 5 next year.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this turns into a Cutler thread. I would just like to say

A great Bear. On and Off the field. Both sides making the right choice

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aside from the fact that you have no idea what they actually offered, nor what he actually would have taken, let's pretend for a second that we knew the numbers, and that they turned him down anyway. My question to you would be "so what?" This is a professional football team, not Outward Bound, a NA group, a bunch of victims of domestic violence, or Black Lives Matter. This is not about self-esteem. It is about winning football games, and using every penny of salary cap space in the best way possible to get as much talent as you can. Period.

Yeah, I hope Matt's feelings aren't hurt. That would be really nice. If they are, maybe he can use some of the $30.4 million he got paid to play football these last four years to hire a psychotherapist to help him analyze his feelings of worthlessness. Meanwhile, hopefully the Bears can win a Super Bowl someday.

It appears they did not offer anything. Let me know if you hear anything. I was thinking a third down back that can run and catch, line up as a receiver, wide or slot is a guy you would offer 5 million dollars for.

"We recently met with Matt to inform him we will not extend a contract offer for the 2016 season," general manager Ryan Pace said in a statement released by the team.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt was a class act. I know many under-estimated him early in his career. Some (like ESPN's John Jurkovic) once said that Forte was not a long-term, feature type of back. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

AI, I believe that they (Pace & Forte) did speak, perhaps to find a happy mutual scenario. Can't imagine that they wouldn't attempt a "discussion" at minimum. Pace seems to be a conscientious GM who respects the contributions of the players. Remember, he did reach out to Urlacher to mend the bridges that Emery had destroyed, exploded, and burned.

Knowing that they'd have to release a statement to the press about Forte, what you had quoted may have been the wording that both sides agreed upon.

I'll miss Matt.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this turns into a Cutler thread. I would just like to say

A great Bear. On and Off the field. Both sides making the right choice

PUHlease lets not turn this into a Cutler thread.lol

we all knew pretty much it was coming.....and so did Matt.

C

cubzzzfanincali

It appears they did not offer anything. Let me know if you hear anything. I was thinking a third down back that can run and catch, line up as a receiver, wide or slot is a guy you would offer 5 million dollars for.

"We recently met with Matt to inform him we will not extend a contract offer for the 2016 season," general manager Ryan Pace said in a statement released by the team.

I sincerely doubt you are this naive. It is hardly a novel proposition that the entire league has a rough idea of Forte's basic asking price. The reason? Matt Forte, like every other NFL player, has someone called an "agent." The agents make sure every team knows at least some general idea of asking price. It is virtually certain that upon hearing the asking price, they didn't bother making an offer, because the number they had was too low, and there's no need to insult one another for no reason and in a public way. THAT would be the definition of disrespect.

It's like Forte came in, already knew the answer, and they said some nice things to one another and parted. That isn't disrespect, it is business.

And seriously, no, a third down back is not worth $5 million per. Thank God you are not running the Bears.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's on the wrong side of 30, and declining...

He did a lot of good things for this team over the past 8 seasons. However, that does not mean the Bears have to bend over backwards, and hurt themselves as a franchise to get him back. People seem to have this strange misconception that NFL franchises owe their players anything past their contracts expiration date. They do not, just like that player does not owe that franchise anything.

It's a business. The Bears are in the business of becoming a better football team, and at this point and time, bringing back a 30+ year old Forte does not help them. It's that simple. Good luck to Forte, wherever he may go.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely doubt you are this naive. It is hardly a novel proposition that the entire league has a rough idea of Forte's basic asking price. The reason? Matt Forte, like every other NFL player, has someone called an "agent." The agents make sure every team knows at least some general idea of asking price. It is virtually certain that upon hearing the asking price, they didn't bother making an offer, because the number they had was too low, and there's no need to insult one another for no reason and in a public way. THAT would be the definition of disrespect.

It's like Forte came in, already knew the answer, and they said some nice things to one another and parted. That isn't disrespect, it is business.

And seriously, no, a third down back is not worth $5 million per. Thank God you are not running the Bears.
I did not even know teams were allowed to make offers to free agents yet, but the statement was their decision to not even try.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Legally, teams can sign their own free agents whenever they want. Officially, of course, free agents of other teams are off-limits for a few more weeks. Anyone who actually believes agents and teams aren't using back channels in spite of this needs to get in line to buy some swampland.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad move in my eyes. This is why I wanted Gurly in the first RD last year. Now we have one more hole to address. Like Carey, not Langford. Wonder what round draft pick we'll now use at RB. I think Matt earned a fair contract and to retire a Bear.

C

cubzzzfanincali

how much do you think he is worth Noon? What kind of a fair price would he have warranted this year?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much do you think he is worth Noon? What kind of a fair price would he have warranted this year?
Not sure Cali but we have plenty of money and I wanted the guy to retire a Bear. I do believe he earned that. I know it's a business but sometimes it's more. Also it left us with another hole to fill.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Cali but we have plenty of money and I wanted the guy to retire a Bear. I do believe he earned that. I know it's a business but sometimes it's more. Also it left us with another hole to fill.

Yes, there is plenty of money. Lets see them get another 32 million Jared Allen type waste of money when you know exactly what you had in Forte. No guessing other than if he will break the chain of the over 30 running back being productive.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI... so I"m guessing that you would have:
Paid Urlacher his asking price (when NO OTHER team wanted him)
You have made it very clear that you would have kept Brandon Marshall (and his $9M)
I'm pretty sure you would have thrown more money as Peanut and Briggs.
And I'm guessing that you would have cut Jay and would still be paying McCown.
^^^ That's A SUPERBOWL Team if I've ever seen one!

Oh & How many times has Forte taken the Bears to the playoffs in his 8 years?

C

cubzzzfanincali

No, you don't get off that easily. The money does matter. It's everything. Overpaying a guy for nostalgia reasons means you have less money left over to fill the other holes. Of course we have another hole, but we also have more money with which to fill them.

Matt Forte makes sense for a team built to compete for the Super Bowl right now. He should - and will - get paid more by teams that are at least somewhat plausibly in that situation. The Bears are better off rolling with Carey, Langford, and a cheaper RB or draft pick, and sinking that money saved into a younger player somewhere else on the roster. The Bears aren't winning a Super Bowl in '16 with or without Forte, but maybe they can be in better shape to have a shot in '17 and after with someone else. Besides, it would be nice to see Matt get a shot at a title.