• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Butler Staying in New England

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cornerback Malcolm Butler likely staying with Patriots

12:45 PM ET

It is highly unlikely that cornerback Malcolm Butler will be traded from the New England Patriots this offseason, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Butler signed a one-year, $3.91 million tender with the Patriots on Wednesday, which means New England has the opportunity to trade him.

New Orleans Saints, earlier in free agency.

The Saints didn't plan to sign Butler, 27, to an offer sheet, but at the NFL's annual meetings in March, coach Sean Payton seemed to hint that the club could be interested in a different scenario.

If Butler had signed an offer sheet with the Saints and the Patriots didn't match, the Saints would have had to surrender their first-round pick in the 2017 draft (11th overall) to New England.

The Saints have three picks in the top 42 selections of the 2017 draft and likely can find a cornerback to fill their need with one of those picks.

The MMQB first reported that Butler is likely staying with the Patriots.

The Patriots and Butler's representatives had discussed a contract extension last offseason, and some involved in the negotiation believed a deal was close to being struck. But things were never finalized, and Butler played out the 2016 season on a base salary of $600,000 in the final year of his deal.

In addition to Butler, the Patriots are not expected to trade backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo this offseason, and he is expected to go to training camp with them, league sources told Schefter.

ESPN's Mike Reiss and Mike Triplett contributed to this report.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this earlier, if the draft weren't deep at that position I think it might have worked out differently. But in the end if his being here helps get us one more SB it's worth it.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that we keep Malcom and Jimmy.
I turned out to be correct on them with my kid (26 yo), I'm usually wrong.
Winning!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Brandin Cooks does not go Brandon Lloyd.
:lol:Asking a WR to not act like a Prima Dona and and command huge amounts of money is like asking Hitler not kill.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that we keep Malcom and Jimmy.
I turned out to be correct on them with my kid (26 yo), I'm usually wrong.
Winning!
Well, we are not sure on either yet, this close to the draft teams may be playing it close to the vest.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kill joy, I want to be correct once in a while
You may well be correct and if it happens I suspect the use the tag on Jimmy G next year or try to work and extension this year.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:Asking a WR to not act like a Prima Dona and and command huge amounts of money is like asking Hitler not kill.

Meaning Lloyd made incredible acrobatic catches and had decent YAC in San Fran and was a complete dud in New England.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our secondary. I think Butler will get his head on straight and play really well this season.

He's knows he'll get paid next year for sure, by someone.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam....Ian Rap reported that NO and Butler agreed on a 50m contract, but both teams cannot agree on compensation. That has to suck for Butler, but good for NE. I am very curious to see what NO was offering compared to what NE wanted. It seems now that NO is intent on using it's first 3 picks this draft. Anyone think NO was offering less than a 3rd? My thought is: IF NO misses out on a CB they wanted, maybe they swing a trade with NE heading into day 2. I never thought this trade made sense for NO. This class is loaded with CB and they already consider Breaux their #1. I think NO made the right choice on this one.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all thank the Saints for creating all of the problems of a tampering situation with Butler without having to face any consequences because he wasn't technically under contract. That's a loophole that needs to be closed. Teams should only be allowed to extend an offer sheet to an RFA and otherwise not be allowed to talk money.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam....Ian Rap reported that NO and Butler agreed on a 50m contract, but both teams cannot agree on compensation. That has to suck for Butler, but good for NE. I am very curious to see what NO was offering compared to what NE wanted. It seems now that NO is intent on using it's first 3 picks this draft. Anyone think NO was offering less than a 3rd? My thought is: IF NO misses out on a CB they wanted, maybe they swing a trade with NE heading into day 2. I never thought this trade made sense for NO. This class is loaded with CB and they already consider Breaux their #1. I think NO made the right choice on this one.
Damn 50 Mil.... Look if NO offered the 32 pick back I would do that, or a 2nd and 4th. But BB has to stand his ground on this I get it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows for sure exactly 'what' NO offered for MB........One thing we do know is that NO did NOT offer any of their top three (11,32,43) picks. From what I've heard and this is not in stone, the Saints offered a 4th and 5th round pick for MB.

Positives.....MB is a tenacious, hard working defender. He has incredible eye to position of the ball and eye to point of defense that allows him to actually get a hand on the ball in flight and at the point of catch. Hence he can touch the ball in flight and has this knack for not allowing a receiver to get a grip or grasp the ball. Those same attributes allow him to step into a play and knock down or intercept the ball.

Negatives.....Falsely reported at 5'10" but actually between 5'8" and 5'9". He cannot defend big, tall WRs like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant or Damaryius Thomas. He has the speed to stay with most receivers but not the Beckhams or Coopers.

BB believes that he's worth a late first or early second and won't give him away. I think two or three teams will step up during the second round of the draft.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows for sure exactly 'what' NO offered for MB........One thing we do know is that NO did NOT offer any of their top three (11,32,43) picks. From what I've heard and this is not in stone, the Saints offered a 4th and 5th round pick for MB.

Positives.....MB is a tenacious, hard working defender. He has incredible eye to position of the ball and eye to point of defense that allows him to actually get a hand on the ball in flight and at the point of catch. Hence he can touch the ball in flight and has this knack for not allowing a receiver to get a grip or grasp the ball. Those same attributes allow him to step into a play and knock down or intercept the ball.

Negatives.....Falsely reported at 5'10" but actually between 5'8" and 5'9". He cannot defend big, tall WRs like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant or Damaryius Thomas. He has the speed to stay with most receivers but not the Beckhams or Coopers.

BB believes that he's worth a late first or early second and won't give him away. I think two or three teams will step up during the second round of the draft.

And as such, he is not a #1 CB.
Malcom is a very good #2 - maybe the best in the NFL - but he should not expect #1 money.
He will likely get a chance at more money this year - maybe won't accept an offer as a #2.
He might get a Hightower type offer to shop himself around in 2018. He is probably worth Logan Ryan type of money?????