• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2017 NFL Draft

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here is where I'm more cynical than Carl - I think the Broncos interest is so someone else drafts him and the Bronco's OT is there at 20. However, I still think the Broncos will likely trade out of the first round with Cleveland for additional picks.
TJ Watt seems too high for #20 and too low for #51 but #33 seems just right

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You Gentlemen. So apparently I haven't missed too much. Thanks for link also. I'm also thinking since I know Elway so well, he either trades up, trades out or stays pat in rd 1....;)

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dove into the top dudes and media perception vs what scouts are saying and what we see in episode 8 of the Huddle Up Podcast.

The narrative "this is a bad tackle class" is not false. It lacks great talent after the top 3 (Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles), at least immediate contribution wise, and there is no elite tackle (like Tunsil and Stanley last season)… if there was, they would be going top 10 if not top 5. There is that much need across the league and the position is that valuable. Just look at what the tackles got in free agency this year... Okung the highest AAV of any tackle in football? Reiff, Wagner, Kahlil all getting MONSTER contracts day one of FA, even guys who haven't shown much like Watson and Remmers cashed in. Then look at RB... AP and Charles still out there! If they played T, they would have been signed day one even with age and injury issues.

Even though there is not an 'elite' offensive tackle prospect in this class, that does equate to "no tackle is worth a round 1 selection"… all of the top 3 tackles would have been worth round 1 last year imo and this class as a whole, while deeper, is not as top heavy as last season… not many true game changers… after Myles Garrett, Marshon Lattimore, Solomon Thomas and arguably OJ Howard, Malik Hooker, and Leonard Fournette (although they do not play ‘core’ positions) there just aren’t many obvious franchise changers… I don’t see that much of a difference from pick 11 to 60… very similar grading and not far off in talent.

Back to the original point though, the top 3 tackles all are worth round 1 selections, especially when considering the premium price OTs receive on the market, how rare they are to find, and getting them for cheap on a 5 year contract. Weights need to be used when creating a big board, with QB getting the highest weight, followed by Edge, CB, and OT. Those guys are SUPER valuable and even just getting solid B+ level starters there is worth a round 1 selection imo, especially when considering the added value of a cost-controlled young player for 5 years at such a valuable position.

Kendell's Tiered Value System:
Tier 1: QB
Tier 2: OT, Edge, CB
Tier 3: DT (especially ones with pass rush ability), and WR
Tier 4: ILB, S, RB, TE, IOL

I partially base this on past historical data on ‘hits’ and ‘misses’ at the positions as well as the average contract for the position on the market. These contracts show how teams value the positions.

If you are taking a guy at tier 4, they need to project top 5-10 at their position in 3 years. In this class, that would be, imo: OJ Howard, Leonard Fournette, Forrest Lamp, Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams, Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster, and maybe Njoku/McCaffrey

So overall, no team EVER uses pure BPA because talent is just simply talent, instead it is important to think about it from a roster and cap structure perspective as well. Not only are the top three tackles worth round one selections based on talent, but they bring incredible value to the team, and would be wise selections for the direction Elway is trying to go. The question shouldn't be "do we take a tackle", but instead should be "which one?"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dove into the top dudes and media perception vs what scouts are saying and what we see in episode 8 of the Huddle Up Podcast.

The narrative "this is a bad tackle class" is not false. It lacks great talent after the top 3 (Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles), at least immediate contribution wise, and there is no elite tackle (like Tunsil and Stanley last season)… if there was, they would be going top 10 if not top 5. There is that much need across the league and the position is that valuable. Just look at what the tackles got in free agency this year... Okung the highest AAV of any tackle in football? Reiff, Wagner, Kahlil all getting MONSTER contracts day one of FA, even guys who haven't shown much like Watson and Remmers cashed in. Then look at RB... AP and Charles still out there! If they played T, they would have been signed day one even with age and injury issues.

Even though there is not an 'elite' offensive tackle prospect in this class, that does equate to "no tackle is worth a round 1 selection"… all of the top 3 tackles would have been worth round 1 last year imo and this class as a whole, while deeper, is not as top heavy as last season… not many true game changers… after Myles Garrett, Marshon Lattimore, Solomon Thomas and arguably OJ Howard, Malik Hooker, and Leonard Fournette (although they do not play ‘core’ positions) there just aren’t many obvious franchise changers… I don’t see that much of a difference from pick 11 to 60… very similar grading and not far off in talent.

Back to the original point though, the top 3 tackles all are worth round 1 selections, especially when considering the premium price OTs receive on the market, how rare they are to find, and getting them for cheap on a 5 year contract. Weights need to be used when creating a big board, with QB getting the highest weight, followed by Edge, CB, and OT. Those guys are SUPER valuable and even just getting solid B+ level starters there is worth a round 1 selection imo, especially when considering the added value of a cost-controlled young player for 5 years at such a valuable position.

I partially base this on past historical data on ‘hits’ and ‘misses’ at the positions as well as the average contract for the position on the market. These contracts show how teams value the positions.

If you are taking a guy at tier 4, they need to project top 5-10 at their position in 3 years. In this class, that would be, imo: OJ Howard, Leonard Fournette, Forrest Lamp, Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams, Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster, and maybe Njoku/McCaffrey

So overall, no team EVER uses pure BPA because talent is just simply talent, instead it is important to think about it from a roster and cap structure perspective as well. Not only are the top three tackles worth round one selections based on talent, but they bring incredible value to the team, and would be wise selections for the direction Elway is trying to go. The question shouldn't be "do we take a tackle", but instead should be "which one?"

Post of the day in my opinion!

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my last sentence may have been a bit of hyperbole because you don't want to hold yourself down to that single position because someone of extreme talent may be there, but odds are... OT lol

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is up in the air due to brand new staff. Be interesting to see first 3 rounds this year. OL seems like a lock at 20 but, who is the next Shane Ray that slides to us that makes us pass on OL. I hope we move back from 20 on draft day. I think this draft has interesting pieces but, no wow types so why press, Wheel and deal Elway get us a 18 #1 or #2 in next years draft.

I really want TE RB and the CB out of Washington in rd 2 in first 2 days of draft. OL/DL problem trade mid late round picks to bolster position.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take any of your tier 4 guys over any OT in this draft. And they will all probably be gone before any of the T are taken. That's how poor this years T class is

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take any of your tier 4 guys over any OT in this draft. And they will all probably be gone before any of the T are taken. That's how poor this years T class is

i listed those tier 4 guys on purpose because you can make an argument for them. I have Adams, Fournette, Howard, Hooker, and Foster all higher than any offensive tackle in this class but I disagree with you on tackle (surprise surprise haha)

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you completely on your tier system, and much to my chagrin we will probably end up taking a T. I hope we get a gem, but I don't know. Robinson might be the best option, but he likes to associate with guns and drugs. That goes a little bit beyond stupid decisions.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you completely on your tier system, and much to my chagrin we will probably end up taking a T. I hope we get a gem, but I don't know. Robinson might be the best option, but he likes to associate with guns and drugs. That goes a little bit beyond stupid decisions.

one of the main reasons we met with him at combine, talked with him at pro day, and had him to dove valley. Obvious talent, but questions abound. They should have a firm stance either way after working so much with him

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still have not heard anything good about the OT class in the 1st round while listening to both Polumus and Schlreth here locally as well as talking personally every week to a local radio host who has connections to the team.I'd be very surprised if Denver drafts a OT at #20. I could see a trade back and then select one of these guys. Schlreth has Cam as a guard in the NFL based on his footwork and tape against tthe better players in the SEC i.e.Barnet and Garrett.

I'd rather try for CMac or Rueben Foster.

Elway will probably throw us a curve ball anyways.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have not heard anything good about the OT class in the 1st round while listening to both Polumus and Schlreth here locally as well as talking personally every week to a local radio host who has connections to the team.I'd be very surprised if Denver drafts a OT at #20. I could see a trade back and then select one of these guys. Schlreth has Cam as a guard in the NFL based on his footwork and tape against tthe better players in the SEC i.e.Barnet and Garrett.

I'd rather try for CMac or Rueben Foster.

Elway will probably throw us a curve ball anyways.

There are lots of OL coaches that have talked about these 4 guys who all really like them. A great guy to look into is Duke Manyweather. He works with some ex-scouts and also helps run a training facility to get players ready during the offseason. He has spent a great deal of time talking about all 4 of these guys and what he likes and doesn't like.

Also for me 104.3 has their head so far up well you know where when it comes to their love for McCaffrey that to them every other player looks like crap. They have lost all objectivity to the point at least for me I can't stand to even listen to them. They spend hours upon hours only talking about one prospect among hundreds for this draft because he is the hometown favorite who has some good talent.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmac will be long gone. The guys at altitude sports want him too. I think he'll get drafted 11-15 range. Skill players are more fun to talk about for 104.3 etc over OL I understand it. I'm not wild about about OL at 20 but understand if we try it. I just wish the guys would talk about other options though.

This is why Carl and Nick are cool but, also refreshing talking Broncos. I've heard lots of fans want to trade up to 12 and draft him.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on TE Sprinkle from Ark

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmac will be long gone. The guys at altitude sports want him too. I think he'll get drafted 11-15 range. Skill players are more fun to talk about for 104.3 etc over OL I understand it. I'm not wild about about OL at 20 but understand if we try it. I just wish the guys would talk about other options though.

This is why Carl and Nick are cool but, also refreshing talking Broncos. I've heard lots of fans want to trade up to 12 and draft him.

We don't give a FUDGE about a narrative. We put on our GM hats and say what we think and back it up best we can. Thanks for the kind words tho.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on TE Sprinkle from Ark

has some potential as an inline TE2. Size and some athletic traits. Really was a dumbass for stealing bofore his bowl game. I would take him round 5 tho.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what?! you don't want to hear about McCaffrey for 3 hours a day every day?! lol

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are lots of OL coaches that have talked about these 4 guys who all really like them. A great guy to look into is Duke Manyweather. He works with some ex-scouts and also helps run a training facility to get players ready during the offseason. He has spent a great deal of time talking about all 4 of these guys and what he likes and doesn't like.

Also for me 104.3 has their head so far up well you know where when it comes to their love for McCaffrey that to them every other player looks like crap. They have lost all objectivity to the point at least for me I can't stand to even listen to them. They spend hours upon hours only talking about one prospect among hundreds for this draft because he is the hometown favorite who has some good talent.

Yeah mostly talking about the OT evaluation by the two former Olineman. All the other stuff about Cmac I ignore at this point because we know what Christian brings to the table.