• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the one who brought it up. Montana isn't known for being smallish and not having a big arm. He's known for his multiple SBs
Missing the point here. In his 2nd year he wasn't known for his multiple SBs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put Herbert on the 49ers and he produced identical stats to Purdy, I'd wonder if he was injured...

and I like Purdy
Really, if he was leading the league in most QB stats you'd think he wasn't doing well?

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one can say for sure just HOW good Purdy will be long-term, but it's highly likely he'll be at least a perennial top ten-ish QB given how quickly he can read a defense and how he doesn't turn the ball over. He's absolutely maximizing a very good supporting cast, so he's not just a long for the ride. Plus, it's not like he is working behind some elite OL, so he certainly has to deal with that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing the point here. In his 2nd year he wasn't known for his multiple SBs
Yeah and he wasn't "Joe Montana". Purdy could just as well be Steve Walsh - I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying if you want to go that route it goes both ways

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and he wasn't "Joe Montana". Purdy could just as well be Steve Walsh - I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying if you want to go that route it goes both ways
I've never said otherwise. And again the point of OP wasn't so much saying Purdy is going to have a career like Montana, almost no one does. Only Brady and perhaps Manning and Elway got to that level.

I was just noting how the way we and the media dissect sports has gotten a lot more detailed and intense, and if Montana were a 2nd year QB today he'd be hearing some of the same 'doesn't throw deep/all YAC/great system' stuff they say about Purdy.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, if he was leading the league in most QB stats you'd think he wasn't doing well?
You see the way Herbert's passes bounce of his receiving corps hands constantly and how he is always getting hit? What I'm saying is if Herbert had the 9ers Offense and was only throwing for 260 yards per game I'd think something was wrong with him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said otherwise. And again the point of OP wasn't so much saying Purdy is going to have a career like Montana, almost no one does.

I was just noting how the way we and the media dissect sports has gotten a lot more detailed and intense, and if Montana were a 2nd year QB today he'd be hearing some of the same 'doesn't throw deep/all YAC/great system' stuff they say about Purdy.
Again, I like Purdy. I just think when you purposely use Montana...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I like Purdy. I just think when you purposely use Montana...
Glad you like him, I do too. But you're missing my point, it's not a comment about the players relative skills, it's a comment on how the perception and discussion of players has changed, and how some of the modern talk is kinda silly.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy could just as well be Steve Walsh? WOW, I must wonder whether you have an axe to grind or whether you don't know what you're talking about. One of them spent most of his career as a backup; the other is in the MVP discussion. Again, I"m not saying Purdy is the second coming, but If Purdy fell apart tomorrow, he'll have had a head-and-shoulders better career than Walsh did.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same thing about Brady too. In his first years. "He is nothing but a game manager. They rely on Cory Dillon for their whole offense. The Defense carries that team. He doesn't elevate the play of his receivers. His arm is too weak. He needs to gain weight he is too small. Drew Bledsoe is a better thrower."

The biggest things that happened during that 3 game losing streak was the defense sucked on 3rd down and Without Trent Williams the 9ers had the worst offensive line. And I am not being figurative. They were ranked dead last on the oline play those 3 games. Not just because of Williams, but they had their left guard right guard and right tackle all injured for at least 1 of those games as well. When you have a below average line with Williams and you remove even the guys that suck and replace them with suckier guys no one can play well.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They said the same thing about Brady too. In his first years. "He is nothing but a game manager. They rely on Cory Dillon for their whole offense. The Defense carries that team. He doesn't elevate the play of his receivers. His arm is too weak. He needs to gain weight he is too small. Drew Bledsoe is a better thrower."

The biggest things that happened during that 3 game losing streak was the defense sucked on 3rd down and Without Trent Williams the 9ers had the worst offensive line. And I am not being figurative. They were ranked dead last on the oline play those 3 games. Not just because of Williams, but they had their left guard right guard and right tackle all injured for at least 1 of those games as well. When you have a below average line with Williams and you remove even the guys that suck and replace them with suckier guys no one can play well.

It would've only been a two game losing streak if Moody was able to make a makeable kick to win the game.

I've seen this brought up a ton to use against Purdy and if you look at that 3 game streak critically there are more layers to it than just "Purdy minus Deebo and Williams equals he's propped up by people around him".

When it comes to Purdy during that streak I'd say he had a bad game against the Browns though he did lead them into a game-winning FG situation at the end and he had good games against the Vikings and Bengals but just had 4 really bad INTs.

This offense can function without Deebo though he is missed when he's not in but Williams as you said is just critical and the offense is almost crippled without him in there since the running game basically dies without him blocking and pass protection takes a steep hit as well.

I think it's totally fair to not be fully sold on Purdy and want to see some sustained success but some of the arguments against him are a stretch. At this very moment in time he's playing at an elite level and maybe he won't maintain it over time and become just a middle-of-the-pack kind of QB but right now if you had to play for your team tomorrow he'd likely be on the short list of QBs you'd pick to play for you right this minute.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, but Dak has more endorsements. Including a shit testing one.
I'm mostly joshing, too soon to know if Purdy is better, but he easily could be at this rate

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said for years on the if you started a team today and had first pick of anybody that ever played….. QB.
1 Unitas
2. Montana
Others will disagree but that is my pick order.
As I post this Purdy throws a dime on Samuel for a TD kids having an awesome year.