• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said for years on the if you started a team today and had first pick of anybody that ever played….. QB.
1 Unitas
2. Montana
Others will disagree but that is my pick order.
As I post this Purdy throws a dime on Samuel for a TD kids having an awesome year.
I'm still taking ringless Marino.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
montana by a nose...mainly cause he was Big Game

the Marks were good and the nameless defense wasn't bad

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well I think Mahomes clearly proved he's not a great QB and was just a product of the weapons around him.

The Chiefs are 2-4 in their last 6 and we all know elite QBs never have weapons, have terrible coaching, never make bad plays, and never lose games.

Obvious sarcasm there but just shows you how dumb the weapons argument is not just for Purdy but the QB position in general. Again that's not to say Purdy isn't going to be an elite top 5 QB every season for his entire career but more obviously the more weapons the offense has the more effective a QB is going to be and the less weapons you have the less effective the QB will be without it being the QB themself slipping in play.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think Mahomes clearly proved he's not a great QB and was just a product of the weapons around him.

The Chiefs are 2-4 in their last 6 and we all know elite QBs never have weapons, have terrible coaching, never make bad plays, and never lose games.

Obvious sarcasm there but just shows you how dumb the weapons argument is not just for Purdy but the QB position in general. Again that's not to say Purdy isn't going to be an elite top 5 QB every season for his entire career but more obviously the more weapons the offense has the more effective a QB is going to be and the less weapons you have the less effective the QB will be without it being the QB themself slipping in play.

Yup. Still gotta make the reads and the throws. Purdy threw some more perfect passes today that hit his receiver in stride. He's got a knack for seeing things a split second faster than Jimmy or Trey.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting all the attention he's now getting. He's doing very well and people love to talk about the skill players around him. That stated, his OLine deserves a lot of praise. They have a very effective run game and that line protects him very well. So play action and an effective run game along with him making the right reads and doing it on time makes him very good.

I'm thinking the entire package presented makes that O very good, and he's doing great as the trigger man.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's interesting all the attention he's now getting. He's doing very well and people love to talk about the skill players around him. That stated, his OLine deserves a lot of praise. They have a very effective run game and that line protects him very well. So play action and an effective run game along with him making the right reads and doing it on time makes him very good.

I'm thinking the entire package presented makes that O very good, and he's doing great as the trigger man.

Trent Williams is incredible and the LG Banks is solid for the most part but the rest of the offensive line not so much.

If you watch closely nearly all their big runs are to the left side and their runs to the right are stuffed at the LOS.

What gives the impression that it's a good offensive line outside of Williams of course is the scheme does a lot to protect them. Because of all the smoke and mirrors the scheme presents to a defense it causes them to hesitate or be out of position which gives the offensive line favorable looks.

It's one reason they struggle when they are down 2 scores when the smoke and mirrors are gone and the defense knows exactly what you have to do the offensive line struggles to hold up.

It's also why in the Eagles game you saw the 9ers offense shift to a much quicker passing attack because the offensive line wasn't going to hold up long enough for longer routes to develop.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Williams is incredible and the LG Banks is solid for the most part but the rest of the offensive line not so much.

If you watch closely nearly all their big runs are to the left side and their runs to the right are stuffed at the LOS.

What gives the impression that it's a good offensive line outside of Williams of course is the scheme does a lot to protect them. Because of all the smoke and mirrors the scheme presents to a defense it causes them to hesitate or be out of position which gives the offensive line favorable looks.

It's one reason they struggle when they are down 2 scores when the smoke and mirrors are gone and the defense knows exactly what you have to do the offensive line struggles to hold up.

It's also why in the Eagles game you saw the 9ers offense shift to a much quicker passing attack because the offensive line wasn't going to hold up long enough for longer routes to develop.

I haven't watched enough to give you a real analysis of their oline, so I'll take your word on it. I will say that the run game working, and it was the last couple weeks that I've watched make the play pass game much more effective. The linebackers can't get to their drop zones as quick and those shorter passes turn into long ones in a hurry with guys like Kittle, Samuel, McCaffery an Aiyuk having to run thru DBs as opposed to LBs. Shannahan has a very nice scheme and it all plays it's part.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said for years on the if you started a team today and had first pick of anybody that ever played….. QB.
1 Unitas
2. Montana
Others will disagree but that is my pick order.
As I post this Purdy throws a dime on Samuel for a TD kids having an awesome year.
Johnny Unitas is dead so I guess Montana is gonna be your Game 1 starter.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looking at it again I thought the Seahawks game was one of his best from the perspective of the throws he made.

There has been a question if he could hit deeper outside the numbers throws consistently and he hit like 3 of them that were on the money.

He doesn't need to hit those 60 yard bombs as it's nice to hit those since they can be back breakers but those kinds of throws are a very small part of an offense. But if he can really hit those 40ish yard strikes it just makes the 9ers offense that much more dangerous.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at it again I thought the Seahawks game was one of his best from the perspective of the throws he made.

There has been a question if he could hit deeper outside the numbers throws consistently and he hit like 3 of them that were on the money.
Again, more than one poster here, who will remain nameless, have said words to the effect of "Purdy is basically Trent Dilfer", "can this guy throw outside the numbers", "just flood the middle of the field b/c Purdy can't throw outside", or "sit on all the short routes b/c Purdy can't throw deep." Purdy's play has destroyed those arguments.

The Seattle game is just the most recent example. Seattle sat on many of Purdy's favored inside routes. That dared Purdy to throw outside. And he did. Several times. All for BIG plays. He did the same thing against Tampa, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Philly,etc. Sure, The guy probably can't sit on his knees and throw the ball 60yds, but does that really matter?

Last edited:

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has been head and shoulders better than I have expected. What he’s doing is just unreal. Almost sitting at home watching NFL games to being on top in several stats barely his 2nd year playing. He’s special and I hope he ends being another Tom Brady lol

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy has been head and shoulders better than I have expected. What he’s doing is just unreal. Almost sitting at home watching NFL games to being on top in several stats barely his 2nd year playing. He’s special and I hope he ends being another Tom Brady lol
well he has a good start. :suds:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see 49ers fans posting in the NFL general once again. Purdy has them gushing.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I haven't watched enough to give you a real analysis of their oline, so I'll take your word on it. I will say that the run game working, and it was the last couple weeks that I've watched make the play pass game much more effective. The linebackers can't get to their drop zones as quick and those shorter passes turn into long ones in a hurry with guys like Kittle, Samuel, McCaffery an Aiyuk having to run thru DBs as opposed to LBs. Shannahan has a very nice scheme and it all plays it's part.

Against Seattle they ran it to the left 11 times for 149 yards and to the right 11 times for 25 yards. Granted that 149 is pumped up by CMC's 70-yarder but that's pretty much been the story for them this season.

That's why when people knock Purdy they use the 3-game losing streak against him as proof that he's a product of the weapons around him but it runs deeper than that.

For starters, the offense is better with Deebo but it can survive without Deebo. What it can't survive is the loss of Williams because if he's out they can't run at all. And what most don't realize is that Kyle's offense is built around the running game and regardless of who is at QB the offense's efficiency drops a lot because the best and creative parts of the offense are the running and play-action stuff. The dropback passing attack is the weakest part of the offense which is why the 3 game losing streak was yes in part a Purdy thing but it was mostly a critical flaw in Shanahan's system and the defense not playing all that great.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's one of the weaker years for MVPs that I can remember but Purdy should be the choice as of the time typing this out.

Tyreek Hill is definitely worth being right there with him but the Dolphins not really missing him today sorta hurts his chances a bit.

Though the definition of what makes a player MVP is a mess but given that it typically goes to the QB that's on one of the best teams that puts up numbers unless a position player has a record-breaking year it should go to Purdy as of now.

I mean honestly if the MVP was a true MVP my vote would go to Trent Williams as the 9ers offense as a whole is completely lifeless without him in the lineup but it'll never go to an offensive lineman.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the weaker years for MVPs that I can remember but Purdy should be the choice as of the time typing this out.

Tyreek Hill is definitely worth being right there with him but the Dolphins not really missing him today sorta hurts his chances a bit.

Though the definition of what makes a player MVP is a mess but given that it typically goes to the QB that's on one of the best teams that puts up numbers unless a position player has a record-breaking year it should go to Purdy as of now.

I mean honestly if the MVP was a true MVP my vote would go to Trent Williams as the 9ers offense as a whole is completely lifeless without him in the lineup but it'll never go to an offensive lineman.
I think the only thing that could detract from him being MVP is having 2 people on the same team under consideration.
Almost like they start cancelling each other out.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last i checked Ravens have pretty much the same record as the 49ers playing in a harder division.