• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...if Joe Montana's teams were playing today people would say the same stuff:

- Doesn't have a big arm
- Kind of smallish (1.5 inches taller than Purdy)
- Not a high draft pick (3rd round #82)
- Gets all his yards from Jerry Rice YAC, short passes (this is actually BS even as a fact...Purdy's % of yards from YAC is around the same as every other good QB)
- Has a great team/system/coach around him

Just sayin'

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of the same but different...

For example, 4 weeks ago people were saying Purdy was struggling during the 3 game losing streak because he didn't have Deebo or his LT...

Joe Montana didn't need those kind of excuses... ;)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana won multiple Super Bowls and was AP like three times before Rice ever got to the NFL.

Comparing Purdy to Joe Cool is about as good as comparing Aiyuk to Rice.

With no disrespect to Aiyuk or Purdy.
Fair enough. I do think today's Xittersphere would be saying some shit like that though, great 'system', etc

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I do think today's Xittersphere would be saying some shit like that though, great 'system', etc
San Francisco’s current group of skill players are about as good as it gets.

But I can’t imagine an era where Montana’s greatness wouldn’t be generally respected

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco’s current group of skill players are about as good as it gets.

But I can’t imagine an era where Montana’s greatness wouldn’t be generally respected
Agreed so saying Purdy might be at the start of something great too

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kind of the same but different...

For example, 4 weeks ago people were saying Purdy was struggling during the 3 game losing streak because he didn't have Deebo or his LT...

Joe Montana didn't need those kind of excuses... ;)

Not so much Deebo but losing Trent Williams is a massive blow to the offense and the reality is if we want to talk MVP it arguably is Trent Williams. The 9ers offense line as a whole isn't great outside of Williams especially the right side which isn't good at all. There was a reason why the almost run exclusively to the left. The scheme and Purdy's ability to shift the pocket and be decisive with the ball are what mask a lot of the offensive line's weaknesses.

Even during that losing streak the Browns game was the only game that I'd say he had an actual bad game. The other 2 losses he actually had good games just 4 really bad plays. If he didn't have those 4 bad INTs and drives just stalled out most would say he had a good day it just didn't come together at the end.

I still stick with my Drew Brees comp with Purdy and until he has a couple of rings on his fingers and engineers some late-game comebacks I don't want to hear Montana talk with him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so much Deebo but losing Trent Williams is a massive blow to the offense and the reality is if we want to talk MVP it arguably is Trent Williams. The 9ers offense line as a whole isn't great outside of Williams especially the right side which isn't good at all. There was a reason why the almost run exclusively to the left. The scheme and Purdy's ability to shift the pocket and be decisive with the ball are what mask a lot of the offensive line's weaknesses.

Even during that losing streak the Browns game was the only game that I'd say he had an actual bad game. The other 2 losses he actually had good games just 4 really bad plays. If he didn't have those 4 bad INTs and drives just stalled out most would say he had a good day it just didn't come together at the end.

I still stick with my Drew Brees comp with Purdy and until he has a couple of rings on his fingers and engineers some late-game comebacks I don't want to hear Montana talk with him.
That's my take as well. The Drew Brees comparison really isn't that bad. We'll see how it all plays out for Purdy. He probably doesn't put up quite the numbers that Brees did but similar type of player. I said in the game thread that Williams is the huge cog in this wheel. McCaffery isn't the same player when Williams isn't in there either. Laying the 3 game skid all on Purdy is kinda stupid although he doesn't have the ability yet to overcome stuff like that. Not a knock either but the kid has barely played 1 season of games. Maybe some people need to cut him some slack and see how it all plays out before they start with the system QB stupidity. Also, people need to let Purdy just be himself and maybe not try to compare him to other guys from the past. It's getting beyond ridiculous at this point.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can live with this take... Drew Brees seems like a decent comp at this time... I really like Purdy so I hope he has a great career (Stat wise, not divisional or postseason :D) ... Until he can keep it going w/out some of his all pro/pro bowl skill positioned players/TW around him due to injuries, he shouldn't be in the Brees/Montana talk imo...

I just don't like the Montana comp... That guy was a HOF, arguably one of the best to have every played... Purdy isn't even in his same zip code...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laying the 3 game skid all on Purdy is kinda stupid although he doesn't have the ability yet to overcome stuff like that.
Purdy didn't get it done without a few of those guys and also took a step back in those games... It's the only comparison we have so is it really that stupid? He hasn't show the ability to, "overcome" yet imo...

The Bengals last night is a good example of that...

Last edited:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go watch one of Joe's early games from back in the day.....

You wont be impressed.

They were just inventing bits and pieces that were to become the modern day NFL passing game. But it was still in its infancy. Watching an early Montana game (years 1-4) will for the most part leave you wondering why he is considered an all time great as how the passing game has now evolved basically makes those teams look like cave men trying to make a wheel work.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sounds ludicrous, but the obvious comparison is to a young Tom Brady IMO. Nothing impressive athletically and completes his team more than leads, along with the minimal if any draft capital. Of course, Brady's consistency and lengthy career vastly elevated him, and we'll see if Purdy can do that (and what happens once Purdy gets paid and the talent level around him drops as a result when money becomes an issue).

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy didn't get it done without a few of those guys and also took a step back in those games... It's the only comparison we have so is it really that stupid? He hasn't show the ability to, "overcome" yet imo...

The Bengals last night is a good example of that...
Him not being able to overcome that "yet" was part of the point I made. But also, I'm not going to sit here and say the 3 game skid was entirely Purdy's fault. He made some mistakes pressing which all young QBs do but McCaffery was very mediocre running the ball as well without Williams in front of him. Juszczyk wasn't as good, Kittle wasn't as good, the defense slipped, Deebo was out. I think the narratives on Purdy are just too far in both extremes right now. Should he be MVP, not imo but he may well win it because the award is just that flawed and meaningless these days. But is he just some guy ala JimmyG, absolutely not. If he was drafted 3rd or 4th rd instead of dead last, the whole "game manager", "system QB" narrative likely doesn't even exist, imo.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go watch one of Joe's early games from back in the day.....

You wont be impressed.

They were just inventing bits and pieces that were to become the modern day NFL passing game. But it was still in its infancy. Watching an early Montana game (years 1-4) will for the most part leave you wondering why he is considered an all time great as how the passing game has now evolved basically makes those teams look like cave men trying to make a wheel work.

True, but in fairness to Montana, everything was tougher for the passing game back in those days, including rules and the fact that the West Coast offense was in an early stage of evolution. Nowadays teams have had decades to build on it and the receiving skills of all players, including wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends, have increased tremendously.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been known to call him, Brock Montana. I think he stays calm and handles pressure well. I haven’t seen him point to something in the crowd and say “check it out” and then throw a bomb for a winner, but I tend to think he’s closer to Joe Montana than Steve Young.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been known to call him, Brock Montana. I think he stays calm and handles pressure well. I haven’t seen him point to something in the crowd and say “check it out” and then throw a bomb for a winner, but I tend to think he’s closer to Joe Montana than Steve Young.
In personality yes but the Brees comp is probably closest