• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brock Purdy is not Joe Montana. But....

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the whole system QB thing should be put to bed at this point.

It's fair to question if he's truly what you call elite or an MVP candidate but it's obvious at this point he plays the position at a high level regardless of the other factors around him.

What he ultimately becomes we'll see as he's basically only got a season's worth of games under his belt so why I don't think he has this massive ceiling for growth since he came into the league with a lot of college experience I do think he has room to grow and I'll be curious to see what he looks like next season a year removed from his recovery with his arm injury and another year of experience.

I do find it a bit funny with all the talk how Lamarr Jackson was going to be the future of the QB with dynamic ability with his legs and arms it seems like the trend with guys like Purdy, Stroud, and Tua is going for the guy with decent athletic traits but has the ability to read defenses quickly and correctly and get the ball accurately and on time to their receivers.

Someone (Alex Smith, I believe) said that we are in the golden age of pass rushers, so it makes sense that the QB's who process information quickly and get the ball out accurately are thriving.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone (Alex Smith, I believe) said that we are in the golden age of pass rushers, so it makes sense that the QB's who process information quickly and get the ball out accurately are thriving.
That makes sense.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you brought your PF trolling technique over to the NFL board.
That was funny though, Minshew is a bonafide journeyman. Nice mustache too, haha.
Pats would probably be like 3-4 wins better with him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think that's a legit part of it.

Defensive linemen are way ahead of offensive linemen and it's much easier to assemble an effective defensive line than an offensive line.

I believe another part is we're seeing more teams adopt that Shanahan style of offense with some variations on it and at its base it's the WCO offense so the passing component is going to favor getting the ball out quickly and accurately to maximize the pass catchers YAC opportunity.

I think offensive play callers these days are confident that almost every pass play they call there is going to be a right answer and it's up to the QB to be able to get the right answer.

It's why you'll likely see a bit of a shift when it comes to drafting QBs and teams are going to put less emphasis on physical traits and more emphasis on mental traits.

The way QBs are currently drafted is basically we're going to take the guy that ticks all the physical checkboxes and pray really hard that they can develop the mental aspect of the game.

Now what you might see is teams will look harder at QBs who stayed in college longer and look more into their mental ability than if the guy can sling it 60 yards effortlessly.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don’t understand slamming the guy because his team has weapons. Duh. That’s supposed to be the fucking point haha. Purdy still has to make decisions, set protections, hang in the pocket, extend plays, and deliver the football with accuracy on time. If it’s so easy why haven’t other Niners QBs had this success? CMC is a cheat code but the run game in SF has always been stout. Additionally, Purdy may have great skill people, but outside of Trent Williams his OL is rather pedestrian.
Exactly. Have people seen his numbers downfield? He’s actually been quite good there too and yards after catch, he has a lower percentage than past 3 MVPs. You don’t do that just because you have those players. It helps obviously but he is making fast decisions with short time due to Niners o line being ranked like 20th in pass block rating. Purdy doesn’t get rattled. If he wasn’t a last pick he would be getting way more praise.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny how the wind changes direction after one football game.
In Purdy's case it has changed twice this year, and it's taken a few games each time:

First 5 games: Purdy is great

Next 3 games: Purdy is not so good

Next 4 games: Purdy is MVP level

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Have people seen his numbers downfield? He’s actually been quite good there too and yards after catch, he has a lower percentage than past 3 MVPs. You don’t do that just because you have those players. It helps obviously but he is making fast decisions with short time due to Niners o line being ranked like 20th in pass block rating. Purdy doesn’t get rattled. If he wasn’t a last pick he would be getting way more praise.
His numbers and completion % downfield should end the idea that "all he does is dump the ball off and get YAC yardage." As you pointed out, he has a lower % of YAC yardage than the last 3 MVPs and his downfield numbers:

And "he's only this good b/c he's got weapons"? Having a good team around him didn't stop Hurts from finishing 2nd in the MVP voting last year when he had (rounding off) a 1,500yd WR, a 1,200yd WR, a 1,200yd RB, an above average TE and the best Oline in football. If that narrative didn't hold any water for Hurts last year, it certainly doesn't this year for Purdy.

Again, should Purdy win MVP, probably not imo, but he should be in anyone's conversation for MVP. Purdy has had some bad games. He'll likely have a couple more. But that shouldn't alter the perception of just how well he's played this season.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Purdy's case it has changed twice this year, and it's taken a few games each time:

First 5 games: Purdy is great

Next 3 games: Purdy is not so good

Next 4 games: Purdy is MVP level
but it's a team game. I understand the most important position in all of team sports, BUT it is a team sport. Never seen any QB overcome the other 10.

I am referring to fan opinions that a QB basically sucks and then he plays well against their team...all of a sudden he's worthy.

it's philly week. Just pointing out classic philly bull shit.

wind changed direction again
Lets play another week.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it's a team game. I understand the most important position in all of team sports, BUT it is a team sport. Never seen any QB overcome the other 10.
Absolutely it is, said so above
I am referring to fan opinions that a QB basically sucks and then he plays well against their team...all of a sudden he's worthy.
As you pointed out, those are uninformed opinions. This thread is less about that (pretty obvious how that works) and more about a lot of the things that are said about Purdy could also be applied to past greats, like Montana

Lets play another week.
OK but again, the wind didn't change direction for Purdy just this past Sunday, they had 3 wins before this one since their last loss

Last edited:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely it is, said so above

As you pointed out, those are uninformed opinions. This thread is less about that (pretty obvious how that works) and more about a lot of the things that are said about Purdy could also be applied to past greats, like Montana

OK but again, the wind didn't change direction for Purdy just this past Sunday, he had 3 wins before this one since their last loss
You’re getting caught in friendly fire here. Dude follows me around on this forum like a lost little puppy dog. He’s referring to me standing up and admitting that I sold Purdy short and being a poster who actually comes in here and says that. Apparently, when I do it, it’s a problem to own your bull shit when you’re wrong. I sold Purdy short. Watching him run a clinic on my team in a way Mahomes Tua and Josh Allen couldn’t has put me over the top where I have to give the man his praise. Guy you’re talking to is bored out of his mind and he lives to fuck with me. You’re friendly fire.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re getting caught in friendly fire here. Dude follows me around on this forum like a lost little puppy dog.
coach...you want me to highlight the September 2022 thread where I asked you if we knew each other.

follow you around?
LOL...NO Way. Told you then you've become a target.

I just started throwing shock value bull shit volley back at you. LOL complaining to mods REMAINS all you.

hut hut

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's funny/sad that more than one person on this forum has said that Purdy is essentially Trent Dilfer.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets play another week.

You're right. Out of the major sports, football is the one where you rely on the greatest number of teammates on each play. Baseball is essentially a one-on-one (or two) matchup between the batter and the pitcher/catcher. In basketball, one dominant player can control everything, and there are only four other teammates on the floor with him.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's funny/sad that more than one person on this forum has said that Purdy is essentially Trent Dilfer.
I'm not sold on Purdy being elite, but I'm not sure how many young QB's I'd take over him

list wouldn't be long

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Purdy being elite, but I'm not sure how many young QB's I'd take over him
elite takes years but I've followed football long enough to see Purdy as being special pretty much from the start. The guy also is just a good MF'er. you can see this in his interviews.

Yep...I like him but I'm also the guy who cheers for Dak.

telling I know

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
elite takes years but I've followed football long enough to see Purdy as being special pretty much from the start. The guy also is just a good MF'er. you can see this in his interviews.

Yep...I like him but I'm also the guy who cheers for Dak.

telling I know

He worked on a farm during the Niners bye week. He's totally an all American dude.