• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Hoyer To Sign With 49ers

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, of course Hoyer is a back-up, everyone knows that.

We want a better QB and no doubt so does Shanahan, but "eventually". Maybe Snyder finally sees bites his pride and we get Cousins much 'cheaper'? Cheaper meaning draft capital cheaper, not his contract.

Who knows, maybe by next year we pursue someone else? Maybe we get REAL lucky with a draft pick?

Definitely a lot of different options. I really hope the 49ers draft QB this year regardless of what happens with Cousins

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hoyer it puts a little less pressure to pick him up this year

....and I guess, some leverage. Hoyer is a stop gap, but Washington knows we don't NEED Cousins this year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what we're reading these last few months.....most definitely.

We want to come out of this draft with top players, and #2 overall should certainly be one of them. If it ain't QB thats ok, but be a top player at whatever position it is.

...or trade back and get some more picks...if they believe they can do so and still get the guy they want.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely a lot of different options. I really hope the 49ers draft QB this year regardless of what happens with Cousins

No doubt at least one QB somewhere, maybe two should good value arise.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing agood job. A lot of short term contracts. I just hope they save some money for next year. Hopeing they cut brooks and brock. Upset to see dawson go. Garcion is much but word shanahan loves him and is a perfect fit . 9.5 mill a year is a lot . Overall im happy

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer is under rated QB. Numbers werent bad last year before injury. Good bridge gap QB

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of these deals are front loaded and the team has a lot of cap space to do that and as they improve they can easily clear space by getting rid of one of these guys if need be.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes or QB in 2nd rd. Let hoyer start for 1 year and then battle in year 2. Over all hoyer isn't a bad QB. He is a avg QB that knows the offense.
A definite upgrade over Kaepernick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...or trade back and get some more picks...if they believe they can do so and still get the guy they want.

i'm certainly ok with a little trade down because there is no 'consensus' #2 pick. But i also don't think anyone will trade up to #2, for the very same reason. So we're hard luck having the #2, in a year that doesn't have a quality #2.

I guess we could still trade down but not get a lot out of it? Nothing close to what the Titans and Browns got last draft.

sigh!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most of these deals are front loaded and the team has a lot of cap space to do that and as they improve they can easily clear space by getting rid of one of these guys if need be.

Yep, cause as we all know, the key is successful drafting anyway.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm certainly ok with a little trade down because there is no 'consensus' #2 pick. But i also don't think anyone will trade up to #2, for the very same reason. So we're hard luck having the #2, in a year that doesn't have a quality #2.

I guess we could still trade down but not get a lot out of it? Nothing close to what the Titans and Browns got last draft.

sigh!

There is no consensus #2 pick, but there is a ton of talent (especially defensively) and you still have to think there are franchises who want to move up if the price is right. Cleveland/Garrett seems all but a lock, so in essence, the 49ers hold the right to set the dominos to fall.

I'm not counting on the deals that were in place last year, but if SF can move 5-10 spots down, and get the player they want and an extra draft pick(s), it certainly opens more doors. Right now, they have two backup QB's in Hoyer and Barkley, so an upgrade is a must. Whether it's this year - a 2nd/3rd rounder - or considering next year's crop of QB's whom everyone says are certainly better than this years, more picks give us more opportunities to move around.

Now watch as SF takes a QB @ 2 and all is moot.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no consensus #2 pick, but there is a ton of talent (especially defensively) and you still have to think there are franchises who want to move up if the price is right. Cleveland/Garrett seems all but a lock, so in essence, the 49ers hold the right to set the dominos to fall.

I'm not counting on the deals that were in place last year, but if SF can move 5-10 spots down, and get the player they want and an extra draft pick(s), it certainly opens more doors. Right now, they have two backup QB's in Hoyer and Barkley, so an upgrade is a must. Whether it's this year - a 2nd/3rd rounder - or considering next year's crop of QB's whom everyone says are certainly better than this years, more picks give us more opportunities to move around.

I'm with you that I hope some team would want the #2 pick and trade up with the Niners. Niners can obtain an extra pick or even two and still draft a good player.

Is there a stronger crop of QBs for the 2018 draft? Niners could also wait for Cousins to hit FA in 2018. I still hope they draft a QB in the second day of the drarft, but it not, I'm fine with it. Get some LB help, OL and maybe another RB to complement Hyde.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah ok, as long as we don't expect the same kind of deals as last year, we could still trade down.

For me, 'a little trade down' means closer to 5 spots, than 10. I can live with 10 because it means gaining more picks (or quality pick); but rather take a guy we want and not leave it to too much chance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm with you that I hope some team would want the #2 pick and trade up with the Niners. Niners can obtain an extra pick or even two and still draft a good player.

Is there a stronger crop of QBs for the 2018 draft? Niners could also wait for Cousins to hit FA in 2018. I still hope they draft a QB in the second day of the drarft, but it not, I'm fine with it. Get some LB help, OL and maybe another RB to complement Hyde.

Yeah, if we just go by Need, the LB corps is in NEED. Unfortunately for us, there is no "monster" EDGE guy, so we might start with Foster? Wouldn't be surprised if we draft another LB in Round 2? If not Round 2, then in Round 3. ie i could see us using two higher picks on LB's, one being an edge guy.

I'm guessing OL in Round 5 or later, more for development. Our current O-line has potential as shown EARLIER last season.

For RB, i would guess Round 4 and later, and it would be a dual threat type of back ala Devanta Freeman or Trevor Coleman. We now have an 'base' RB in Hyde, and FB in Juszcyk.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if we just go by Need, the LB corps is in NEED. Unfortunately for us, there is no "monster" EDGE guy, so we might start with Foster? Wouldn't be surprised if we draft another LB in Round 2? If not Round 2, then in Round 3. ie i could see us using two higher picks on LB's, one being an edge guy.

I'm guessing OL in Round 5 or later, more for development. Our current O-line has potential as shown EARLIER last season.

For RB, i would guess Round 4 and later, and it would be a dual threat type of back ala Devanta Freeman or Trevor Coleman. We now have an 'base' RB in Hyde, and FB in Juszcyk.

I know this is a homer call...but I'd love to see us grab McCaffery...I think he would be a great compliment to the current roster as well as give us a legitimate return man. Don't think he'll last too long though. It's rumored that he might go at the end of the 1st.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so bad we're signing two Chicago Bears QB's. Ugh !

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So many needs, so few draft picks. Trading down from the #2 might help a little bit, but still...

It's interesting, I was expecting we would surely draft a WR somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds, but we've signed 3 (count 'em, THREE) free agent WR's plus we resigned Kerley. So now I'm not sure we'll draft any WR's. I guess that helps alleviate one position of need, at least for this year.

I figure that we HAVE to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, if we want to draft a developmental guy this year who might eventually start. If we don't, there really won't be any point of drafting a QB except maybe grab someone late to groom as a future backup. The talent dropoff IMHO is really sharp once you get beyond the top 5 guys.

Aside from Foster, there don't seem to be any really good MLB's this year, which is really unfortunate given Bowman's injury and our utter lack of quality depth behind him. And even Foster might be better as a weakside LB. I had been thinking Jarrad Davis from Florida might be a good 2nd round candidate for drafting as a linebacker but he's a weakside guy and we just signed Smith who fills that slot as well. Of course, if one of the top edge guys fall in our laps (Garrett, Thomas, etc.), then that has to be a priority. Fortunately, there seem to be a lot of good edge guys this year.

I agree a mid-round RB is a good idea, someone to complement and relieve Hyde. I would add Jeremy McNichols to the list; he's smallish but runs hard, is quick, and is a really good receiver out of the backfield. Would really fit the Shanahan offense.

I do think, though, that we'll draft at least one, maybe two, OL early. Just don't think we'll wait until round 5, I think the need is more urgent than you do. Don't think Kilgore is the long-term answer at center, Beadles certainly is not an answer anywhere, Staley is getting up there, not even sure Trent Brown is a long-term fit for us at tackle. Not saying we HAVE to draft an OL early, I guess we could skate by one more year with this group, but to my mind we need to start transitioning to our future OL and now is as good a time as any to start. Drafting a G early (Dorian Johnson?) might be a good place to start.

But of course, BPA at the time we draft is the biggest thing, don't force a choice just to try to fill a perceived need.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a stronger crop of QBs for the 2018 draft?

From everything I've read, guys like Rosen and Darnold are steps above the best in this draft, but everything can be turned upside down this time next year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A definite upgrade over Kaepernick.
Yeah I can see that. Kap wouldn't be good at Shanahan offense. Im happy with Hoyer. Last year avg about 300 yards a game 6 TD and 0 Ints with a bad Bears team. The guy can bridge the gap.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many needs, so few draft picks. Trading down from the #2 might help a little bit, but still...

It's interesting, I was expecting we would surely draft a WR somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds, but we've signed 3 (count 'em, THREE) free agent WR's plus we resigned Kerley. So now I'm not sure we'll draft any WR's. I guess that helps alleviate one position of need, at least for this year.

I figure that we HAVE to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, if we want to draft a developmental guy this year who might eventually start. If we don't, there really won't be any point of drafting a QB except maybe grab someone late to groom as a future backup. The talent dropoff IMHO is really sharp once you get beyond the top 5 guys.

Aside from Foster, there don't seem to be any really good MLB's this year, which is really unfortunate given Bowman's injury and our utter lack of quality depth behind him. And even Foster might be better as a weakside LB. I had been thinking Jarrad Davis from Florida might be a good 2nd round candidate for drafting as a linebacker but he's a weakside guy and we just signed Smith who fills that slot as well. Of course, if one of the top edge guys fall in our laps (Garrett, Thomas, etc.), then that has to be a priority. Fortunately, there seem to be a lot of good edge guys this year.

I agree a mid-round RB is a good idea, someone to complement and relieve Hyde. I would add Jeremy McNichols to the list; he's smallish but runs hard, is quick, and is a really good receiver out of the backfield. Would really fit the Shanahan offense.

I do think, though, that we'll draft at least one, maybe two, OL early. Just don't think we'll wait until round 5, I think the need is more urgent than you do. Don't think Kilgore is the long-term answer at center, Beadles certainly is not an answer anywhere, Staley is getting up there, not even sure Trent Brown is a long-term fit for us at tackle. Not saying we HAVE to draft an OL early, I guess we could skate by one more year with this group, but to my mind we need to start transitioning to our future OL and now is as good a time as any to start. Drafting a G early (Dorian Johnson?) might be a good place to start.

But of course, BPA at the time we draft is the biggest thing, don't force a choice just to try to fill a perceived need.

McNichols from Boise State or maybe Kareem Hunt from Toledo. Both should be there at the start of the 4th round. Shanahan wants to emulate the Falcons duo of Freeman/Coleman. Both were very productive and fresh throughout the season.

I would think MLB would be a position to look at especially if Bowman is not ready. He's had two serious injuries and when he went down, the defense just struggled. Niners need someone to back up Bowman.