• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Hoyer To Sign With 49ers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
works for me........wait, depending on what we're paying him?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great day for 49ers. Post more about everything latter. Man it feels good to see baalke gone.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great day for 49ers. Post more about everything latter. Man it feels good to see baalke gone.

Finally making some moves...looks like we'll be going QB at 2 now. We still have a ton of cashish and draft picks...I have a feeling we're going to do something big here soon.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally making some moves...looks like we'll be going QB at 2 now. We still have a ton of cashish and draft picks...I have a feeling we're going to do something big here soon.
Yes or QB in 2nd rd. Let hoyer start for 1 year and then battle in year 2. Over all hoyer isn't a bad QB. He is a avg QB that knows the offense.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with this signing, but I do have questions. Is Cousins no longer in the cards? Did we sign Hoyer to be the stop-gap/teacher to the QB we're gonna take in this draft? All things being equal, I think I'd still like to take a guy in the third round or so like a Nathan Peterman....and perhaps load up for one of the top dogs in next years draft in Rosen or Darnold

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with this signing, but I do have questions. Is Cousins no longer in the cards? Did we sign Hoyer to be the stop-gap/teacher to the QB we're gonna take in this draft? All things being equal, I think I'd still like to take a guy in the third round or so like a Nathan Peterman....and perhaps load up for one of the top dogs in next years draft in Rosen or Darnold

Just my opinion and the opinion of a couple of NFL writers. I don't think this precludes the 49ers from getting Cousins. If I read the numbers correctly, Hoyer is only making $6 million per year for two years. The 49ers have no QBs on the roster. To me, more than anything it means goodbye to Gabbert and Ponder. Yes, the 49ers do need to draft a QB. The 49ers need to find that franchise QB, hopefully an elite one for the future which Cousins is not.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes or QB in 2nd rd. Let hoyer start for 1 year and then battle in year 2. Over all hoyer isn't a bad QB. He is a avg QB that knows the offense.

Well I would consider trading with the Patriots to move just ahead of the Browns to get one of the three better QB's of this draft.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good choice. I think Peterman would be a very savvy pick. It might take him a while to get up to NFL speed, but he could be good. I don't think he has the upside of Mahomes (I'm only focusing on the guys who are possibly available in the 2nd or later rounds), but he doesn't have Mahomes' floor either. Mahomes could be REALLY good, but he could also bust.

I've done a bit of studying of the QB's in the draft, and I've concluded that if we want to come out of the draft with a good development QB, we MUST draft someone by the 3rd round. After Mahomes and Peterman go, I think the dropoff is pretty steep and all you're talking about are guys who have steep development curves and even then may only be backups. I include Davis Webb in this, as much as it pains me as a Cal guy to say. I just don't think he's starter material.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good choice. I think Peterman would be a very savvy pick.

I only picked him because of some others are high on him as a third rounder or so....a guy who may be worth bringing along in Shanahan's scheme. It's probably the better route than taking one of the top end guys with the #2 pick.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion and the opinion of a couple of NFL writers. I don't think this precludes the 49ers from getting Cousins. If I read the numbers correctly, Hoyer is only making $6 million per year for two years. The 49ers have no QBs on the roster. To me, more than anything it means goodbye to Gabbert and Ponder. Yes, the 49ers do need to draft a QB. The 49ers need to find that franchise QB, hopefully an elite one for the future which Cousins is not.

If Cousins is still on the table for the 49ers, it seems to look more likely that they would pick him up next year in free agency.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cousins is still on the table for the 49ers, it seems to look more likely that they would pick him up next year in free agency.

With Hoyer it puts a little less pressure to pick him up this year

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I only picked him because of some others are high on him as a third rounder or so....a guy who may be worth bringing along in Shanahan's scheme. It's probably the better route than taking one of the top end guys with the #2 pick.

From what we're reading these last few months.....most definitely.

We want to come out of this draft with top players, and #2 overall should certainly be one of them. If it ain't QB thats ok, but be a top player at whatever position it is.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Hoyer it puts a little less pressure to pick him up this year

for me it seems like there is no longer ANY pressure? We'll almost certainly add another vet QB, but there is no pressure to 'go after' another one.

This Hoyer signing is about what i expected, a vet QB who isn't breaking the bank. If fact, i think his numbers a LITTLE lower than i was expecting? He is also someone who has PLAYING familiarity with Shannahan, not just some 'distant' connection.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me it seems like there is no longer ANY pressure? We'll almost certainly add another vet QB, but there is no pressure to 'go after' another one.

This Hoyer signing is about what i expected, a vet QB who isn't breaking the bank. If fact, i think his numbers a LITTLE lower than i was expecting? He is also someone who has PLAYING familiarity with Shannahan, not just some 'distant' connection.

Hoyer is a backup and bridge QB. Cousins is younger and much better. I am sure Shanahan would like a better QB playing for the next couple of years and he still wants Cousins.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hoyer is a backup and bridge QB. Cousins is younger and much better. I am sure Shanahan would like a better QB playing for the next couple of years and he still wants Cousins.

Yeah, of course Hoyer is a back-up, everyone knows that.

We want a better QB and no doubt so does Shanahan, but "eventually". Maybe Snyder finally sees bites his pride and we get Cousins much 'cheaper'? Cheaper meaning draft capital cheaper, not his contract.

Who knows, maybe by next year we pursue someone else? Maybe we get REAL lucky with a draft pick?