• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Boy oh boy, Sheldon Richardson is a real bright one. About as sharp as a bowling ball.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets' Sheldon Richardson charged with resisting arrest 12 days after ban

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been charged with resisting arrest after a July 14 incident in which police say he was driving a car engaged in a high-speed road race near his home in St. Louis, the prosecuting attorney said Thursday in a statement.

A fully loaded semi-automatic weapon was found in the car, a 2014 Bentley, police said, and there was "a very strong odor of burned marijuana" emanating from the vehicle, the St. Charles County prosecuting attorney's office said in a statement posted to its website.

Richardson's car was traveling as fast as 143 mph, according to the statement, and police said a 12-year-old was among the passengers in his car.

The incident occurred only 12 days after Richardson received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Reports of the arrest didn't surface until late Thursday, less than one hour after Richardson, commenting publicly for the first time on the suspension, vowed to stay clean.

"I'm not a dope fiend, man," he told reporters. "I apologized to my teammates and this organization. I told them they don't have to worry about my name being in the news again."

Richardson is scheduled to appear in St. Charles Circuit Court on October 27 for his arraignment.

The Jets were blindsided by the arrest. They had no idea until media reports hit the Internet late Thursday afternoon.

This is a stunning fall for Richardson, the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2013 and a Pro Bowl selection last season.

Resisting arrest is a Class A misdemeanor in St. Charles County. If convicted, he could be sentenced up to a year in jail and/or fined up to $1,000. It wasn't immediately clear how, or if, this will result in additional punishment by the league.

In a statement released Thursday, the Jets said they are gathering more information but declined further comment, noting it is a pending legal matter.

A probable cause statement, released by police, said Richardson endangered the welfare of a child in the first degree. There were three passengers in the car, including the 12-year-old. The others were adult males.

Richardson was the only person charged, but there were no gun, marijuana or child endangerment charges, according to the prosecutor.

Police said they spotted two cars traveling at "exceedingly high rates of speed" on Interstate 64, suspecting a road race.

Richardson's Bentley sped away to avoid police, exiting the highway and parking in the driveway of a home, according to the prosecutor. Richardson turned off the lights, but police found him because they spotted his brake lights on.

Richardson exited the vehicle, complied with police and was issued a summons.

The probable cause statement, submitted by the officer on the scene, said Richardson was clocked at 122 mph, 135 mph and 143 mph. He sped through a red light and briefly lost control of his car to the point where the rear of the Bentley swerved into the oncoming lane of traffic.

Richardson was ordered out of the car at gunpoint because he was "appearing to reach for something between his feet upon being ordered to stop," the police report said. The loaded handgun was recovered from underneath the driver's side floormat. At that point, police "smelled a very strong odor of burned marijuana emanating from the vehicle."

Speaking to reporters Thursday, shortly before reports of his arrest surfaced, Richardson insisted he was done with marijuana.

"I can say, 'no,' I just chose not to," he said, referring to the violation that led to his suspension. "It was in a depressing time in my offseason, and that's just that. It's just that simple, bro. There's money on the line. My money is worth more than some weed."

By rule, it takes at least three violations to land a four-game suspension. Richardson said he didn't appeal because, "I failed every drug test and missed drug test, so there was no reason to appeal it. I take full accountability for my actions."

Jets coach Todd Bowles, speaking before the arrest became public, said the organization will help Richardson "get help for his problem. .. It'll be a good lesson for him. I'm sure his parents are more disappointed than anybody, and he had to stand that. His actions will speak louder than his words going forward."

Sheldon Richardson of New York Jets charged with resisting arrest

He must be the dumbest person in sports. Not in the NFL, in sports. Hell, in the entertainment industry.

He just had an interview yesterday where he said he "learned his lesson" after being suspended for 4 games.

Get this people. They tell ALL of the players when they will be tested for marijuana 60 days before they do.

He still failed the test, and it cost him an estimated 500K. He, after all of that, committed what you are reading.

What is the word we use for a guy like this? I cannot think of the word. Any word comes to your mind?

sheldon-richardson-mug-lo.jpg

Any word come to your mind yet?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes being charged with child endangerment

he had a loaded gun under his floor mat which he reached for when officers approached him. the car was filled with weed smoke, and a 12 year old child.

yet deflate gate is much worse

right guys?

right?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tom brady is a far worse human being than sheldon.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the jets should give up a first round pick and be fined a tremendous amount of money. we should drag it out for months too.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the jets should give up a first round pick and be fined a tremendous amount of money. we should drag it out for months too.

Hey man, come on now...... This is about integrity of the game... Actions off the field mean nothing, especially when it is domestic abuse against women and children which the league is so strict on.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man, come on now...... This is about integrity of the game... Actions off the field mean nothing, especially when it is domestic abuse against women and children which the league is so strict on.
surely this must fall under something goodell can mess with woody over for months and months. wanna rent a plane and fly over jets practice with a banner?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surely this must fall under something goodell can mess with woody over for months and months. wanna rent a plane and fly over jets practice with a banner?

Screw that.... I am building the biggest drone ever to both fly over practice and a Robot to walk around the field and yell, "Butt Fumble! Butt Fumble!"

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys make me sick ... young and talented and getting paid big because of it ... then, out of some kind of boredom or maybe a "Call of the Street" they toss it all like a cowboy kicking his horse away in the middle of nowhere

... I would call him a moron ... no, a f**kin moron

... and f**k Aaron Hernandez too

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing that these guys will out earn what most people make in their lives in a very short amount of time and they are barely intelligent enough to remember to breathe.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes being charged with child endangerment

he had a loaded gun under his floor mat which he reached for when officers approached him. the car was filled with weed smoke, and a 12 year old child.

yet deflate gate is much worse

right guys?

right?
143 MPH with a 12 year old in car just WOW

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing that these guys will out earn what most people make in their lives in a very short amount of time and they are barely intelligent enough to remember to breathe.

...and then be broke a few years out of the league.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things considered, Goodell will give him a front office position at the league office.

Let's not mix metaphors here...........this is not a New England Patriot....it's a Goodell loved New York Jet.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh sheesh...Do we really have to turn every thread into a Deflategate thread? Come on Patriot fans you want people to stop talking about it then maybe you guys should set the example and just stop talking about it. This is an individual player off the field making a decision to endanger the life of a child...Let's just stop with the childish posts as this is a serious matter at hand here. No the team should not be punished for something a player did off the field that did not actually affect a game. He will be punished plenty.

Also stop with the crap that Deflategate is being punished more than that of a player doing domestic violence. The last few players caught doing those things sat out an entire year. How is 4 games equal to that of an entire season? Stop being so dramatic.