• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Stoops retiring

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's crazy is the timing.

Just yesterday we saw a bunch of CBs for Ron Perkins to Texas......OU was considered the heavy lean there. If we land him and Tatum thanks to this move.......

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious on @Goldbug take on Riley being named the HC.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disgruntled current HC being pushed out. No incoming HC making dick moves against disgruntled former school and recruits. No ridiculous buyouts or contracts to lure someone away from their middling program where they had one or two decent wins. Already familiar with the program and recruits.

Could be worse.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's quality reading material all you guise putting forth all these theories...keep it up!

Bob isn't your average guy, let alone football coach. If you think you can understand why, you're sorely mistaken.

He looks at things a little differently than your average football coach. Yeah, he lost his dad early..just about the age he is now. Both his sons have recently graduated from high school and will be playing differing levels of college ball. Daughter is a bit older and already enrolled. Wife is very successful in her own endeavors. It was just his time. He had enough, he was ready to slow his life down. No scandals. No lateral moves. No worries about the future of the program.

He will stay on the staff as long as he chooses. Just like Barry, he will be part of the University of Oklahoma forever. He may do a stunt in the NFL if the timing and money is right, but don't count on it. He may do some broadcasting work but it won't be anytime soon. He played golf up here the other day at Southern Hills and had a blast...and he's not half-bad even with that weird-assed pinky.

Some shit has happened in the past couple of years that I can't divulge, but just know that Bob always had a plan...and that plan included paying back the people that took a chance on him and rewarded him very graciously. I know you guise can't grok that....a guy not looking out for number 1 and fucking/shitting on everyone and everything on his way to the top...but like I said, you all just don't know.

I've been critical in the past of his performance from year to year and game to game. I'm a passionate fan, not as much as I used to be but still invested. I can firmly say that, even without the number of national championships as Barry had, Bob Stoops can proudly say he is near that level of head coach. He's not far off Bud and Barry....and there aren't too many other coaches that can say that.

Love ya Bob, thank you and enjoy the rest of your life.

Mike, sorry bro...but your interview will take place all year long. Hope you make it through. I wouldn't be surprised to see Monty come back real soon if you falter. Good luck.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, just woke up and heard about this. Will be interesting to see where the program goes with Lincoln Riley as HC.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Totally out of left field.

He will be missed.

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Thad Matta, now Bob Stoops. Who is next this month? Geno Auriemma? :pray:

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who retires in June, after spring practices? What is that? Super odd, and he's only 56.

My first initial reaction was "something is brewing and he is jumping ship". Has nothing to do with oU, I would think that about any top tier coach who jumped like this.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious on @Goldbug take on Riley being named the HC.

It's like a breath of fresh spring air. Bob did a good job at OU but the time had come for him to leave. We are lucky everything fell into place and he could make the transfer as seamlessly as possible handing the reins to a guy with huge potential. Everyone who knows the Stoops family understands that his wife has an opinion of herself and Bob that is as big as somewhere between the size of Texas and Alaska. She was the real motivation for him to hang it up now. If he'd had any faith at all he could win a NC this year he would have stuck it out 1 more season but he doesn't believe that in his heart. So he pulled the plug and OU avoided the BS of having to go outside for a new head coach. I have a feeling this is a G-rated Barry Switzer heading the program now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like a breath of fresh spring air. Bob did a good job at OU but the time had come for him to leave. We are lucky everything fell into place and he could make the transfer as seamlessly as possible handing the reins to a guy with huge potential. Everyone who knows the Stoops family understands that his wife has an opinion of herself and Bob that is as big as somewhere between the size of Texas and Alaska. She was the real motivation for him to hang it up now. If he'd had any faith at all he could win a NC this year he would have stuck it out 1 more season but he doesn't believe that in his heart. So he pulled the plug and OU avoided the BS of having to go outside for a new head coach. I have a feeling this is a G-rated Barry Switzer heading the program now.

Hopefully more like PG. I have mad respect for bob doing this the way he did. Leaving 25 million on the table to hand the program over in stellar shape to Riley says a lot about his character imo. He worked his ass off to reel in a top 6 class last year to hand Riley an ideal situation. Lots of coaches who knew they were done would've just coasted and sucked up that salary while the program deteriorated a la Mack Brown or Bowden. That says a lot about him.