• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bob Stoops retiring

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that really wants to know about Bob Stoops, this is all you need to know. In a poll of coaches nationwide about what coach everyone would want to send their son to play for take a guess who won it? It was Bob Stoops, and it wasn't close. Seriously, think about that. What else could the guy accomplish that really matters that would top that accolade from your colleagues? Bob was as good as it gets, best of luck to him.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how part of your fan base Coach Bro 2.0 as an upgrade.

You had arguably one of the top 5 coaches in the sport and you replace him with someone who is great as a playcaller but had the luxury of coaching some really elite skill position talent. And now he is asked to do something that rarely works at this level (playcaller plus CEO of the program).

It may work out but even if he is a total badass there will be growing pains. No one would notice at a place like Western Kentucky where he could out genius other coaches if he is truly that talented but he now has to replace a guy that won the conference every year. Hell you guys were ready to fire Stoops a couple of years ago before we were nice enough to shit a conference title down our legs against you and he luckboxed a NYD game against an uninterested Bama team. Even if he is great it will take Riley a few years to have the experience to coach his way out of spots like that. I don't see your fan base having the patience to let him have mistakes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how part of your fan base Coach Bro 2.0 as an upgrade.

You had arguably one of the top 5 coaches in the sport and you replace him with someone who is great as a playcaller but had the luxury of coaching some really elite skill position talent. And now he is asked to do something that rarely works at this level (playcaller plus CEO of the program).

It may work out but even if he is a total badass there will be growing pains. No one would notice at a place like Western Kentucky where he could out genius other coaches if he is truly that talented but he now has to replace a guy that won the conference every year. Hell you guys were ready to fire Stoops a couple of years ago before we were nice enough to shit a conference title down our legs against you and he luckboxed a NYD game against an uninterested Bama team. Even if he is great it will take Riley a few years to have the experience to coach his way out of spots like that. I don't see your fan base having the patience to let him have mistakes.

We shall see. Lots of "if" thinking in that post. I think you're scared Riley might just be a complete bad ass and you know this is your only chance to make a move to be better than us for any legitimate period of time.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. Lots of "if" thinking in that post. I think you're scared Riley might just be a complete bad ass and you know this is your only chance to make a move to be better than us for any legitimate period of time.

I'm not scared of Riley at all. Stoops does this any other time maybe you guys get Chip Kelly, Fuente or Riley after he had cut his teeth at some place like Memphis.

I'm not messing with you or talking shit here-complete honesty. This is the best possible outcome I could have hoped for to replace Stoops. And it happens on a year when we can legitimately out talent you on offense. And at a time when your coach can't replace his defensive staff. And your bigger rival is going apeshit on the recruiting trail so the pressure is already on.

He goes 8-4 this year, drops the RRS and we make the playoffs, your fan base will turn on him quick. And all of those things could happen this year.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not scared of Riley at all. Stoops does this any other time maybe you guys get Chip Kelly, Fuente or Riley after he had cut his teeth at some place like Memphis.

I'm not messing with you or talking shit here-complete honesty. This is the best possible outcome I could have hoped for to replace Stoops. And it happens on a year when we can legitimately out talent you on offense. And at a time when your coach can't replace his defensive staff. And your bigger rival is going apeshit on the recruiting trail so the pressure is already on.

He goes 8-4 this year, drops the RRS and we make the playoffs, your fan base will turn on him quick. And all of those things could happen this year.
D6l8fu1.gif

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Legitimately out talent us on offense? Does your poke delusion know no bounds? Wow. :laugh3:

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OU by 45.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time that Oklahoma made this smooth of a coaching transition with a program in this good of shape was in 1973 when Chuck Fairbanks turned it over to Barry Switzer. That was also the last time an offensive guy took over as head coach.

I understand why Texas fans and Oklahoma State fans want to throw doubt at Lincoln Riley, but it just doesn't phase us in the least. We knew that Bob was going to leave at some point and this is the best opportunity there is to do it. The change is refreshing.

We're fortunate to have the stability of our current staff in place during this transition so it gives Riley time to move into the position and make it his own. Additions of subtractions to the staff will happen next year.

It all comes down to what Lincoln Riley has, like all coaches. Can he identify the talent. Can he get the talent. Can he coach the talent.

Oklahoma fans are not bummed out.
We're excited to start the next chapter of Oklahoma Football.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time that Oklahoma made this smooth of a coaching transition with a program in this good of shape was in 1973 when Chuck Fairbanks turned it over to Barry Switzer. That was also the last time an offensive guy took over as head coach.

I understand why Texas fans and Oklahoma State fans want to throw doubt at Lincoln Riley, but it just doesn't phase us in the least. We knew that Bob was going to leave at some point and this is the best opportunity there is to do it. The change is refreshing.

We're fortunate to have the stability of our current staff in place during this transition so it gives Riley time to move into the position and make it his own. Additions of subtractions to the staff will happen next year.

It all comes down to what Lincoln Riley has, like all coaches. Can he identify the talent. Can he get the talent. Can he coach the talent.

Oklahoma fans are not bummed out.
We're excited to start the next chapter of Oklahoma Football.

You should be.

I'll just put this as simply as I can.......He's the youngest HC.......what could possibly go wrong?

Not saying it will.......but inexperience can cost you, especially in this conference. A bad defensive call leads to touchdowns pretty quickly.

I'm hoping he turns out to be a great coach.......just slightly less great than Tom Herman. We need both schools to have strong programs.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring a young offensive minded coach worked out for Texas tech, I bet it works out for OU as well.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should be.

I'll just put this as simply as I can.......He's the youngest HC.......what could possibly go wrong?

Not saying it will.......but inexperience can cost you, especially in this conference. A bad defensive call leads to touchdowns pretty quickly.

I'm hoping he turns out to be a great coach.......just slightly less great than Tom Herman. We need both schools to have strong programs.

Oh, if you're not just a little nervous in all your excitement as a Sooner fan you're kind of dumb. No doubt about it.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And college football history is littered with coaches with no head coaching experience going to P5 programs that fell flat on their face. Just because you got lucky before doesn't mean you are going to hit the lottery again.

Odds are historically against it. I honestly wouldn't have wanted Chip Kelly or anyone else over Riley.

Might not work, was still the right choice.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are historically against it. I honestly wouldn't have wanted Chip Kelly or anyone else over Riley.

Might not work, was still the right choice.
And if I was in your situation I would be satisfied as well. I wouldn't want Kelly either. Just stating that just because you historically have done well with inexperienced coaches doesn't mean this guy is a slam dunk.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legitimately out talent us on offense? Does your poke delusion know no bounds? Wow. :laugh3:

QB is pretty even. Mayfield has the hype but Rudolph is going to have a better pro career. We can argue one versus the other but there aren't 5 teams in the nation who wouldn't trade qb's with either school right now.

OL you have a definite advantage but we will be fine.

We have the advantage on returning talent at RB.

At WR name someone on your team that would start for us. We have arguably the two best returning starters in the conference at this position and a transfer that insiders say is better than either. Our 4 and 5 guys would be your primary target this year.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a poll of coaches nationwide about what coach everyone would want to send their son to play for take a guess who won it? It was Bob Stoops, and it wasn't close.

Of course. They want to know that if their son gets stupid and clocks a bitch, the coach will cover for them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB is pretty even. Mayfield has the hype but Rudolph is going to have a better pro career. We can argue one versus the other but there aren't 5 teams in the nation who wouldn't trade qb's with either school right now.

Lmao. No. Mayfield has finished top 5 in the Heisman voting the last two years running and is a top 3 favorite this year. Rudolph will be lucky to be in the top 5 this year. He's a poor man's Landry Jones.

OL you have a definite advantage but we will be fine.

This is kind of a major thing don't you think? We don't just have an advantage. The disparity is major between our O line talent versus yours.

We have the advantage on returning talent at RB.

You have one really good returning running back running behind a suspect at times line and a promising true freshman. Oklahoma is LOADED at RB talent though they're unproven. However, they've been sitting there waiting their turn and they're running behind a top five offensive line

At WR name someone on your team that would start for us. We have arguably the two best returning starters in the conference at this position and a transfer that insiders say is better than either. Our 4 and 5 guys would be your primary target this year.

You get a nod at WR just because of the lack of receivers who've proven they can be #1 options. But you should know as well as anyone that Oklahoma always finds their receivers. People have been asking how we're gonna replace the production of Clayton/Broyles/Stills/Saunders/Shepard... and now Westbrook. On top of that, we've been recruiting better at the position the last two years than we have the 5 years before. That should scare the shit out of you with Mayfield slinging the ball behind our line

On top of all this, you don't have the depth either. So to say you can legitimately out talent is on offense is laughable at best. The only place you really have the edge is WR. But don't let facts get in the way of your poke delusion. If I were a Boone state fan I'd be really hopeful too, but that's all it is. Hope.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Oklahoma, assistants being hired as Head Coach:

Good Hires:
Bud Wilkinson never had any. 31 years old when hired
Jim Mackenzie never had any. 36 years old when hired
Chuck Fairbanks never had any. 33 years old when hired
Barry Switzer never had any. 36 years old when hired
Bob Stoops never had any. 39 years old when hired

Average Hires:
Gary Gibbs

Bad Hires:
Gomer Jones
John Blake

Odds are pretty good that Oklahoma knows what it's doing.

Texas fans are funny.
The only great coach they ever had was an Oklahoma All American Quarterback under Bud Wilkinson. :pound: